DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Sucks no more ... (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/82511-sucks-no-more.html)

DIYGUY December 21st 04 02:35 AM

Sucks no more ...

The shop vac that is. Almost dead but hasn't died yet and I keep
waiting for it to go because I hate the scream it makes and am tired of
always having to put on my ear muffs just to start it up for a few
seconds of cleaning up. So I am thinking I just might get the P-C 7812
at Amazon. The price is up there when compared to others but what is my
hearing worth? Plus I hope to get a better tool. Before I make the
leap and have to live with another tool that I should have done my
homework on before I buy it and have to learn to love it, who among you
own one and what advice do you have? Would you buy it again? Is it as
good as the reviewers on Amazon claim? Let me "hear" from you...

TaskMule December 21st 04 03:17 AM

"DIYGUY" wrote in message
The shop vac that is. Almost dead but hasn't died yet and I keep
waiting for it to go because I hate the scream it makes and am tired of
always having to put on my ear muffs just to start it up for a few
seconds of cleaning up. So I am thinking I just might get the P-C 7812
at Amazon. The price is up there when compared to others but what is my
hearing worth? Plus I hope to get a better tool. Before I make the
leap and have to live with another tool that I should have done my
homework on before I buy it and have to learn to love it, who among you
own one and what advice do you have? Would you buy it again? Is it as
good as the reviewers on Amazon claim? Let me "hear" from you...

I firmly believe that during development all shop vacs are taken to the
Pratt & Whitney engine test room.
They run the jet engine and shop vac at the same time. When the jet engine
can't be heard over the shop vac they know the shop vac is ready for
production.

Mark & Juanita December 21st 04 04:22 AM

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 21:17:05 -0500, "TaskMule"
wrote:

"DIYGUY" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Windex time again! LOL

Dan December 21st 04 04:31 AM

On Mon 20 Dec 2004 08:17:05p, "TaskMule"
wrote in :

I firmly believe that during development all shop vacs are taken to
the Pratt & Whitney engine test room.
They run the jet engine and shop vac at the same time. When the jet
engine can't be heard over the shop vac they know the shop vac is
ready for production.

I concur. :-)
I built a box on casters, lined it with carpet, put in holes for the hose
and the cord, and then a bunch of one-inch holes at the back for the
exhaust. One of my smarter moments, even if I did get the idea from Home
Handyman. The shop vac is only a little louder than the DC now. When it
was down in the basement, SWMBO said the difference was amazing. Before
the box, she had to go upstairs to hear somebody on the phone. After it
was in the box, she didn't even have to turn up the sound on the TV.

Having a spare work surface on wheels with a power strip, that's not much
bigger than the vac's footprint and a place to store all the attachments
are added bonuses. Right now the planer's sitting on it.

I know we have this conversation every six months or so, but I haven't
built a whole lot of shop enhancements that were this cheap with that
much payback, so I talk about it. Over and over.

The fun part is showing it to friends. Turn it on, they say "Well, that's
not exactly quiet." Open the door, watch their eyes get big. "OH. I see.
Hm. Okay, that's a difference. Shut the door."

Jim Giblin December 21st 04 05:08 AM

The sound volume of my Craftsman Shot Vac finally made me get a Fein Turbo
II. The Fein, like the PC7812, can be activated by the on/off switch on a
power tool (router, sander, etc) plugged into the vac. However, my
understanding is that switch on the Fein is rated for 15 amps while the PC
is rated significantly less. If you plan on using higher amp tools (like a
router) this may be a concern.

makesawdust December 21st 04 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DIYGUY
The shop vac that is. Almost dead but hasn't died yet and I keep
waiting for it to go because I hate the scream it makes and am tired of
always having to put on my ear muffs just to start it up for a few
seconds of cleaning up. So I am thinking I just might get the P-C 7812
at Amazon. The price is up there when compared to others but what is my
hearing worth? Plus I hope to get a better tool. Before I make the
leap and have to live with another tool that I should have done my
homework on before I buy it and have to learn to love it, who among you
own one and what advice do you have? Would you buy it again? Is it as
good as the reviewers on Amazon claim? Let me "hear" from you...

I have a Ridgid shop vac and I would definitely get another one.

jo4hn December 21st 04 04:40 PM

wrote in :

I firmly believe that during development all shop vacs are taken to
the Pratt & Whitney engine test room.
They run the jet engine and shop vac at the same time. When the jet
engine can't be heard over the shop vac they know the shop vac is
ready for production.

I concur. :-)
I built a box on casters, lined it with carpet, put in holes for the hose
and the cord, and then a bunch of one-inch holes at the back for the
exhaust. [snip]

Great idea, Dan. Well worth plagiarizing.
mahalo,
jo4hn

[email protected] December 21st 04 08:25 PM

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 20:35:01 -0500, DIYGUY
wrote:

The shop vac that is. Almost dead but hasn't died yet and I keep
waiting for it to go because I hate the scream it makes and am tired of
always having to put on my ear muffs just to start it up for a few
seconds of cleaning up. So I am thinking I just might get the P-C 7812
at Amazon. The price is up there when compared to others but what is my
hearing worth? Plus I hope to get a better tool. Before I make the
leap and have to live with another tool that I should have done my
homework on before I buy it and have to learn to love it, who among you
own one and what advice do you have? Would you buy it again? Is it as
good as the reviewers on Amazon claim? Let me "hear" from you...

I have the next size up.

it's a good machine. the layout and features are well thought out.
it's quiet and has plenty of power. it has very good dust filtration.

the plastic trim parts- hubcaps particularly- haven't fared too well.