Alexandre Gagné

Default Red wine finish?

Hi,

I would like to know if it is possible to use a red wine based stain to
give color to a project I have made.

I am a student in woodworking here in Quebec MTL and nobody in my class has
ever heard of such a thing. Can you tell me if it exists or if it can be
done? Maybe a recipe if you have one?

Thank you.
Alexandre Gagné

U-CDK_CHARLES\\Charles

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 15:21:26 -0500, Alexandre Gagné
wrote:
Hi,

I would like to know if it is possible to use a red wine based stain to
give color to a project I have made.

I am a student in woodworking here in Quebec MTL and nobody in my class has
ever heard of such a thing. Can you tell me if it exists or if it can be
done? Maybe a recipe if you have one?

What happened when you tried it on some scrap?

It's mostly water, so in additional to whatever else it does, it'll
probably raise the grain in a way that is or isn't attractive.

Alternativly, you might let some evaporate and then add alchohol or
mineral spirits and see what happens.

My bet would be that alchohol would work better, but, as I say, you need
to try it.

One sure thing is that it'd be darn expensive.

mp

I would like to know if it is possible to use a red wine based stain to
give color to a project I have made.

I take it your last batch of homemade wine didn't turn out to well.

Dave Jackson

snipOne sure thing is that it'd be darn expensive

You could go downtown to one of your "finer" liquor establishments and get
some mad dog, thunderbird or wild irish rose for very cheap --dave

wrote:
Hi,

I would like to know if it is possible to use a red wine based stain
give color to a project I have made.

I am a student in woodworking here in Quebec MTL and nobody in my class
has
ever heard of such a thing. Can you tell me if it exists or if it can be
done? Maybe a recipe if you have one?

What happened when you tried it on some scrap?

It's mostly water, so in additional to whatever else it does, it'll
probably raise the grain in a way that is or isn't attractive.

Alternativly, you might let some evaporate and then add alchohol or
mineral spirits and see what happens.

My bet would be that alchohol would work better, but, as I say, you need
to try it.

One sure thing is that it'd be darn expensive.

FriscoSoxFan

A couple of things to consider for cost-effectiveness:

1. Many liquor stores throw out bottles that have turned for some reason or
another or they can't return to manufacturer.
2. Perfect used for Boxed wine - 5 liters for $15. Better yet, buy the
finger handled jug wine and use the jug for something else.

wrote:
Hi,

I would like to know if it is possible to use a red wine based stain

give color to a project I have made.

I am a student in woodworking here in Quebec MTL and nobody in my class

has
ever heard of such a thing. Can you tell me if it exists or if it can be
done? Maybe a recipe if you have one?

What happened when you tried it on some scrap?

It's mostly water, so in additional to whatever else it does, it'll
probably raise the grain in a way that is or isn't attractive.

Alternativly, you might let some evaporate and then add alchohol or
mineral spirits and see what happens.

My bet would be that alchohol would work better, but, as I say, you need
to try it.

One sure thing is that it'd be darn expensive.

Hitch

Trader Joes sells cheap wine that goes by the nickname "Two-Buck Chuck".
$2.99/bottle. Might be worth a try as stain at that price, and you can
finish the "stain" while you're waiting for the wood to dry.

--
John Snow
"Pull hard and it comes easy"
Scott Lurndal

wrote:
Hi,

I would like to know if it is possible to use a red wine based stain to
give color to a project I have made.

I am a student in woodworking here in Quebec MTL and nobody in my class has
ever heard of such a thing. Can you tell me if it exists or if it can be
done? Maybe a recipe if you have one?

What happened when you tried it on some scrap?

It's mostly water, so in additional to whatever else it does, it'll
probably raise the grain in a way that is or isn't attractive.

Alternativly, you might let some evaporate and then add alchohol or
mineral spirits and see what happens.

My bet would be that alchohol would work better, but, as I say, you need
to try it.

One sure thing is that it'd be darn expensive.

Get some of the 2 buck chuck at trader joes. A drinkable everyday
Cab for $1.99 a bottle. (Charles Shaw, vintner).

I think you'd get a better stain effect from something a bit
older, however. Perhaps if you reduce the wine before using
it as a stain?

scott
patrick conroy

"U-CDK_CHARLES\Charles" "Charles wrote in message

One sure thing is that it'd be darn expensive.

Anyone else remember Thunderbird, for 99 cents a bottle?

Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott

On 12/17/2004 3:55 PM patrick conroy wrote:

"U-CDK_CHARLES\Charles" "Charles wrote in message

One sure thing is that it'd be darn expensive.

Anyone else remember Thunderbird, for 99 cents a bottle?

Red Mountain. Or Strawberry Hill -- just the ticket to get the girls all
tipsy and giggly.
--

Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott
71 Type 2: the Wonderbus
Andy Dingley

wrote:

I would like to know if it is possible to use a red wine based stain to
give color to a project I have made.

Depends on your "wine". You might have some success with port (an old
distressing technique in the antiques trade) but most red wines aren't
light-stable enough.

Easiest way though is to use cranberries.

DanG

My age will show now. There was a liquor store down from the
college that didn't worry too much about identification.

49 cents. Quart bottle of imported: brand name Vino Fino.
Thunderbird, Annie Greensprings, Ripple were all later.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"patrick conroy" wrote in message

"U-CDK_CHARLES\Charles" "Charles wrote in
message

One sure thing is that it'd be darn expensive.

Anyone else remember Thunderbird, for 99 cents a bottle?

mark

"DanG" wrote in message
My age will show now. There was a liquor store down from the college that
didn't worry too much about identification.

49 cents. Quart bottle of imported: brand name Vino Fino. Thunderbird,
Annie Greensprings, Ripple were all later.

Wasn't there one called Night Train? I remember being in college, and we
had no money.. we went downtown to the liquor store and bought a gallon jug
of thunderbird. We were walking out of the store, and there was one of the
local bums sitting outside. He saw us, looked at the bottle and said, "Don't
drink dat. Dat make ya sick."

Silvan

DanG wrote:

My age will show now. There was a liquor store down from the
college that didn't worry too much about identification.

49 cents. Quart bottle of imported: brand name Vino Fino.

Vino Fino. With a name like that, it HAS to be good.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Larry Jaques

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 09:46:47 -0600, "DanG" calmly
ranted:

My age will show now. There was a liquor store down from the
college that didn't worry too much about identification.

49 cents. Quart bottle of imported: brand name Vino Fino.
Thunderbird, Annie Greensprings, Ripple were all later.

You forgot Spañada there, Sport.

(With pink and purple tuck and roll and 52 bottles of Spañada in
the glove box for Saturday Night!")

--
Sex is Evil, Evil is Sin, Sin is Forgiven.
Gee, ain't religion GREAT?

Get some of the 2 buck chuck at trader joes. A drinkable everyday
Cab for $1.99 a bottle. (Charles Shaw, vintner).

I'm sorry, but there is no "drinkable" wine for $2 a bottle!

Scott Lurndal

Larry Blanchard writes:
In article .com,
says...
Get some of the 2 buck chuck at trader joes. A drinkable everyday
Cab for $1.99 a bottle. (Charles Shaw, vintner).

I'm sorry, but there is no "drinkable" wine for $2 a bottle!

Yes there is - DIY :-).

And, as it happens, the 2-buck chuck (chardonnay) was rated in
the 80's by Wine Spectator. Definitely drinkable.

scott

patrick conroy

"DanG" wrote in message

My age will show now. There was a liquor store down from the college that
didn't worry too much about identification.

There was one in Wisconsin by the High School. Heck, you could even walk in
with your Letter Jacket and sleeves in plain view.

My best memory was Old Milwaukee - $0.99 a six pack.
Three friends.
Four quarters.
And lunch hour was so much nicer.

Alan Edwards

This is smart - no more laboring over difficult furniture projects haunted
by the thought that you're just going to ruin it by spilling alcohol all
over it. I like it.

Wax Finish Help? CBlood59 Woodworking 8 August 18th 04 04:12 PM
Patches of missing finish on oak tables -- how to repair and match color? Tekla Woodworking 1 March 5th 04 03:28 AM