DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Quick routah table box joint jig (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/81548-quick-routah-table-box-joint-jig.html)

Dave Balderstone December 14th 04 03:12 AM

Quick routah table box joint jig

I put this together over the weekend... building a jewelery box for my
daughter for Christmas.

Pics at http://homepage.mac.com/balderstone/PhotoAlbum14.html

djb

Bob December 14th 04 04:11 AM

Thanks for posting. I love your converted desk top router table. Is
that a Lee Valley round baseplate I spy?

bob

Dave Balderstone December 14th 04 04:16 AM

In article .com, Bob
wrote:

Thanks for posting. I love your converted desk top router table. Is
that a Lee Valley round baseplate I spy?

It is indeed. Bosch router underneath in the fixed base.

I built a fence for the table from an issue of ShopNotes (posted the
link a while back). Pics at
http://homepage.mac.com/balderstone/PhotoAlbum10.html

djb

George December 14th 04 11:30 AM

"Dave Balderstone" wrote in message
tone.ca...
I put this together over the weekend... building a jewelery box for my
daughter for Christmas.

Pics at http://homepage.mac.com/balderstone/PhotoAlbum14.html

Looks elaborate. More like a tablesaw jig on a router table. Have you ever
seen the straddle fence design?

Dave Balderstone December 14th 04 01:24 PM

In article , George george@least wrote:

Looks elaborate. More like a tablesaw jig on a router table. Have you ever
seen the straddle fence design?

I looked at upteen designs before settling on the one I finally built.
It's actually fairly straight-forward.

djb

Dave Eames , Oakhurst CA December 14th 04 06:30 PM

Dave, this is cool, thanks!
a few questions:
1) is that a 1/2" bit?
2) how do you make the first cut, do you just hold the stock up against
the peg?
Dave Eames

[email protected] December 14th 04 09:53 PM

Nice work Dave. It looks to be informed much from various table saw
versions. The double sided edge guides is a real nice innovation.

The only addition you might consider is a removable (thus replacable)
backer. On the original setup you'll get good backing. However on
subsequent uses the backing will wear down a bit and yoiu may need to
run the cut up a lytllie higher each time so you don't get breakout,
etc.

If you had an insertable backer you could start witha fresh backing
plate to avoid tear out and go to smaller cuts or have an easier time
during setup, trying different heights until you get it just right,
then start the real cuts witha fresh backer.

Dave Balderstone December 14th 04 11:57 PM

In article .com,
Dave Eames , Oakhurst CA wrote:

Dave, this is cool, thanks!
a few questions:
1) is that a 1/2" bit?
2) how do you make the first cut, do you just hold the stock up against
the peg?

1 - That particular bit is a 3/8", using the 3/8 adapter from Lee
Valley in a 1/2" collet. This one, I'm using some cherry that's been
resawn and planed to 3/8 so that's what I went with. I think I'll just
build more sleds for different bits as I need them, it was easy fast
and cheap.

2 - Yes.

Dave Balderstone December 14th 04 11:59 PM

In article . com,
wrote:

The only addition you might consider is a removable (thus replacable)
backer. On the original setup you'll get good backing. However on
subsequent uses the backing will wear down a bit and yoiu may need to
run the cut up a lytllie higher each time so you don't get breakout,
etc.

It's not obvious from the pics, but the backer *is* actually two pieces
of 3/4 ply, with the second piece holding the reference pin and held to
the first by the spring clamps, thus easily removable.