SamShank

Default Source for 5 1/2" circular saw blades

Does anyone have an economical source for cheapo blades for battery
powered circular saws?

The cheapest I've found is about $6 from Home Depot. I can get 7 1/4"
blades, carbide tipped, for about $1-3. Why can't I find the smaller
ones for this price?

Thanks,

Sam

Mike Marlow

"SamShank" wrote in message
oups.com...
Does anyone have an economical source for cheapo blades for battery
powered circular saws?

The cheapest I've found is about $6 from Home Depot. I can get 7 1/4"
blades, carbide tipped, for about $1-3. Why can't I find the smaller
ones for this price?

Six bucks isn't expensive for a blade. I wouldn't want to use anything
you're getting for $1-3. You should not be able to find a saw blade for $3.
Someone around you is going to be eating the carbide that flies off that
blade.
--

-Mike-

Ba r r y

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 23:46:39 GMT, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

Six bucks isn't expensive for a blade. I wouldn't want to use anything
you're getting for $1-3. You should not be able to find a saw blade for $3.
Someone around you is going to be eating the carbide that flies off that
blade.

I paid $15 for my last 4" carbide blade for a Makita trim saw.

7 1/4" blades are cheap because they sell billions of them.

Barry
Curtis Conley

Several years ago Black and Decker sold a 5 1/2" circular saw. I have one
and use the hck out of it on small jobs. I still on occasion find some of
these blades at Black and Decker stores and flea markets.

Curtis

"SamShank" wrote in message
oups.com...
Does anyone have an economical source for cheapo blades for battery
powered circular saws?

The cheapest I've found is about $6 from Home Depot. I can get 7 1/4"
blades, carbide tipped, for about $1-3. Why can't I find the smaller
ones for this price?

Thanks,

Sam

Joe

I paid $2.89 for a carbide tipped circ. blade three years back. Used it to
cut up a 40' X 15' front porch (flooring and columns) then, to cut all the
replacement stock for the new floor and posts. Finally killed the blade
when we took off old "built in" gutters by cutting teh entire 40' length of
roof open through teh shingles with that blade. Still worked just fine
believe it or not... But could tell it was getting dull.

After that, I ran out to the vendor who was selling those blades and bought
20. I have a lifetime supply now.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
http://www.autodrill.com
http://www.multi-spindle-heads.com

V8013

Mike Marlow

"Curtis Conley" wrote in message
Several years ago Black and Decker sold a 5 1/2" circular saw. I have one
and use the hck out of it on small jobs. I still on occasion find some of
these blades at Black and Decker stores and flea markets.

Hey - me too. My brother had it and after he got killed I ended up with it.
Love that little sucker. It's light, maneuverable, and just plain handy.
At least it was... the switch went on it and B&D does not carry the parts
for that saw anymore. It's a cheap piece of crap - bushings, noisy motor
and vibrates like hell in your hand, but it sure was easy to cut with. Beat
grabbing my Milwaukee most of the time for quick cuts.

--

-Mike-

Mike Marlow

"Joe" wrote in message
I paid $2.89 for a carbide tipped circ. blade three years back. Used it

cut up a 40' X 15' front porch (flooring and columns) then, to cut all the
replacement stock for the new floor and posts. Finally killed the blade
when we took off old "built in" gutters by cutting teh entire 40' length

of
roof open through teh shingles with that blade. Still worked just fine
believe it or not... But could tell it was getting dull.

After that, I ran out to the vendor who was selling those blades and

bought
20. I have a lifetime supply now.

I must live in a different part of the country. Economy blades for a 7 1/4
are typically just under $10 here - or maybe I just subconsciously overlook
the $3 blades.
--

-Mike-

Charlie Self

Mike Marlow writes:

"Curtis Conley" wrote in message
Several years ago Black and Decker sold a 5 1/2" circular saw. I have one
and use the hck out of it on small jobs. I still on occasion find some of
these blades at Black and Decker stores and flea markets.

Hey - me too. My brother had it and after he got killed I ended up with it.
Love that little sucker. It's light, maneuverable, and just plain handy.
At least it was... the switch went on it and B&D does not carry the parts
for that saw anymore. It's a cheap piece of crap - bushings, noisy motor
and vibrates like hell in your hand, but it sure was easy to cut with. Beat
grabbing my Milwaukee most of the time for quick cuts.

Have you looked at the Porter-Cable trim saw? It's a 4-1/2", gear driven,
weighs about 7 pounds, is not particularly noisy, and if you wear one out,
you're doing heavier work than most people. I had one, someone swiped it about
20 years ago, and I've never replaced it, but every time I cut a sheet of
plywood, I wish I had.

Charlie Self
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." Sir Winston
Churchill
Mike Marlow

"Charlie Self" wrote in message

Have you looked at the Porter-Cable trim saw? It's a 4-1/2", gear driven,
weighs about 7 pounds, is not particularly noisy, and if you wear one out,
you're doing heavier work than most people. I had one, someone swiped it

about
20 years ago, and I've never replaced it, but every time I cut a sheet of
plywood, I wish I had.

I hadn't Charlie, but I will be. I took the cheap B&D apart thinking I
would rig up some sort of switch and then decided not to - as handy as it
is, it's just a cheap saw and not worth much effort. After using this
little monster for a while I'm pretty well decided to replace it with
something similar, but of higher quality.
--

-Mike-