Default OT kinda...? about posting

Since Google "improved" their "Google groups", I can't seem to post
under my old moniker, "Never Enough Money". Instead it shows my e-mail
address. How do I get my old monoker back? I notice many postings still
use nicknames -- they must not be using Google.

BTW, the new Google groups is fantastic in every other way.. especially
the "starred topics" feature.

Dave in Fairfax

Silvan wrote:
And it boggles your mind why, exactly? A number of threads related to
Google's new beta some flummy have been cropping up all over the place, and
I still have practically no idea what you guys are whining about. There
are a gazillion newsreaders for every platform known to man.

The problem occurs when you have an ISP that doesn't host
newsgroups. Then you have to find a way to connect to them. If
you're using Google to get to the usenet and haven't already,
check with your ISP, you may be able to bypass Google entirely.
Then the question of newsreaders comes into play. Assuming that
you don't like the one built into your browser. Netscape has one
built in, Firefox, Agent, Xnews and plenty of others are out there
for free if you want to avoid using MS products.

Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work

Swingman

"Silvan" wrote in message

And it boggles your mind why, exactly? A number of threads related to
Google's new beta some flummy have been cropping up all over the place,

and
I still have practically no idea what you guys are whining about. There
are a gazillion newsreaders for every platform known to man.

I only use Google to search/research Usenet archives and it appears that
they took the beta carping to heart.

The "new" search page returns on Usenet this morning, when I was looking for
drill sizes for 10-32 threaded brass inserts in the Wreck archives, works,
and looks, better than it did a week or so ago.

However, things ain't the same in more ways than one: I've posted over 4000
messages in this forum in the last few years. About 3200 showed up on a
search with the original beta a couple of weeks back, and only 1450 showed
up today under the new system.

Point is, they've also obviously changed something besides the "look".

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Silvan

Dave in Fairfax wrote:

The problem occurs when you have an ISP that doesn't host
newsgroups. Then you have to find a way to connect to them. If

http://www.individual.net/

Problem solved. Their only unusual stipulation is that they require people
to post with a working reply address, even if it's pointed at some hotmail
account they never intend to read.

I guess I'm just old school, but I've never seen a newsreader built into a
web browser or a web-based usenet (or email) interface that didn't
thoroughly suck. I guess that stuff is good if you use different computers
in different places a lot.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Silvan

Swingman wrote:

However, things ain't the same in more ways than one: I've posted over
4000 messages in this forum in the last few years. About 3200 showed up on
a search with the original beta a couple of weeks back, and only 1450
showed up today under the new system.

Oh no. You mean my 25,000 message legacy just evaporated? I wrote all of
that stuff for posterior, and now it's gone?

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Swingman

"Silvan" wrote in message ...

I wrote all of that stuff for posterior ...

Well, you know what they say, get it in your head, blow it out your ass.

;)

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Upscale

"Silvan" wrote in message

Oh no. You mean my 25,000 message legacy just evaporated? I wrote all of
that stuff for posterior, and now it's gone?

Well, if you consider that a goodly portion of them were about your wife,
then you can consider them to be disposable anyway.

Silvan

And I'm so deeply, deeply depressed, because everything I eat turns to ****.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Never Enough Money

Ok, let's see if that worked.....

Prometheus

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 17:06:48 GMT, Dave in Fairfax
wrote:

Silvan wrote:
And it boggles your mind why, exactly? A number of threads related to
Google's new beta some flummy have been cropping up all over the place, and
I still have practically no idea what you guys are whining about. There
are a gazillion newsreaders for every platform known to man.

The problem occurs when you have an ISP that doesn't host
newsgroups. Then you have to find a way to connect to them. If
you're using Google to get to the usenet and haven't already,
check with your ISP, you may be able to bypass Google entirely.
Then the question of newsreaders comes into play. Assuming that
you don't like the one built into your browser. Netscape has one
built in, Firefox, Agent, Xnews and plenty of others are out there
for free if you want to avoid using MS products.

Mine does offer newsgroups- or at least it did. Now it umm... kinda
offers usenet- when it feels like it. So for $11.95/mo I just
subscribed to Giganews, and it's a far sight better than any of the
ISP offered servers I've seen. Much faster, and with almost insane
retention rates. There are also a lot of free text-only news servers
if you search on the Google string "news server." I'm sure there are
some reasons to use Google for Usenet, but I just can't stand using
the WWW for the application. That Google setup is just irritating to
me! (the old one and the new one alike)

Dave in Fairfax

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
Swingman

"Prometheus" wrote in message

offers usenet- when it feels like it. So for $11.95/mo I just
subscribed to Giganews, and it's a far sight better than any of the
ISP offered servers I've seen.

Hate to brag on it, but you're right about Giganews.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Mark & Juanita

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 20:24:21 -0600, "Swingman" wrote:

"Prometheus" wrote in message

offers usenet- when it feels like it. So for $11.95/mo I just
subscribed to Giganews, and it's a far sight better than any of the
ISP offered servers I've seen.

Hate to brag on it, but you're right about Giganews.

Just to chime in with a third endorsement for Giganews. I tried Teranews
and had a) intermittent service, even with the paid subscription and b) for
some reason was unable to download all binaries from abpf or abpw; some
posts would just hang and not provide data. This could have been partially
the fault of DirecWay, my ISP, but between trying to understand some person
on the other side of the world (or make them understand my problem) after
interminable hold times and TeraNews's pretty much unhelpful help desk, I
decided life was too short to spend time to get others to improve their
service and just switched. So far, I can now see all postings on the
binary sites and have yet to get a "server unavailable" error from
Teranews. I still had problems with the binaries the first day or two
after switching, but a computer reboot cleared out whatever vestiges of
Teranews that Agent was apparently still carrying with it.