DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Suggestions for cleaning out rusted miter slots? (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/78784-suggestions-cleaning-out-rusted-miter-slots.html)

Hylourgos November 26th 04 04:08 AM

Suggestions for cleaning out rusted miter slots?

I've recently acquired a TS with lots of cast iron that had been
neglected. The tops cleaned up nicely, but the slots have been
difficult. Any tips for getting the rust out of the nooks and
crannies?

Thanks,

Mortimer Schnerd, RN November 26th 04 04:15 AM

Hylourgos wrote:
I've recently acquired a TS with lots of cast iron that had been
neglected. The tops cleaned up nicely, but the slots have been
difficult. Any tips for getting the rust out of the nooks and
crannies?

Why don't you wrap the runner of your miter gauge with some 150 grit sandpaper,
then advance on up to about 400 grit? I've also had good luck removing
superficial rust with Bartender's Friend.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

max November 26th 04 04:58 AM

If the table saw is worth anything at all the miter bar will not fit in the
slot with sand paper wrapped around it. I spray the slots with penetrating
oil and scrub with a brush. I then let the oil dry and use a brass brush to
wipe off the surface rust.
max

Mike Marlow November 26th 04 11:06 AM

"Hylourgos" wrote in message
om...
I've recently acquired a TS with lots of cast iron that had been
neglected. The tops cleaned up nicely, but the slots have been
difficult. Any tips for getting the rust out of the nooks and
crannies?

Thanks,

Spray the slots with WD40 or penetrating oil and use a wire wheel on a drill
motor to clean out the slots. 3M also makes a wheel that goes on a drill
motor that works very well for this type of thing. They cost about $7 and
are available at most automotive stores like Advance Auto or NAPA. I think
I'd use a wire wheel though since it will probably get into the corners a
little better. The 3M wheel will wear down and contour so that it will
eventually get in there, but the wire wheel will probably do so quicker.
--

-Mike-

Andy Dingley November 26th 04 01:56 PM

On 25 Nov 2004 20:08:39 -0800, (Hylourgos) wrote:

Any tips for getting the rust out of the nooks and
crannies?

You can use wet pad electrolysis. The same old bucket process, but
you do it on the top of a rusty metal item that's too awkward to
submerge.

Turn the slot into a trough by sealing the ends with gaffer tape etc.
Pour electrolyte into the slot (washing soda in water) and then lay a
steel (or stainless steel) rod down the length of the slot, raised on
little plastic spacers (polystyrene foam pizza base is handy and tears
to shape) Power up, negative on the thing you want to keep.

There's no way to clear the rust out, so this process is awkward for
really rusty parts. But it's great for details and unlike abrasives is
non-damaging.

For rust spots on the surface, use a pad of paper towel or kitchen tea
towel, soaked in electrolyte. Use a steel plate anode on top and
weight it down, enough to make good contact, not enough to wring the
pad dry. Make sure the pad stays wet, by annointing it every few
hours. A big hole in the middle of the anode is handy for this.

--
Smert' spamionam

Sam November 26th 04 05:09 PM

(Hylourgos) wrote in message . com...
I've recently acquired a TS with lots of cast iron that had been
neglected. The tops cleaned up nicely, but the slots have been
difficult. Any tips for getting the rust out of the nooks and
crannies?

Thanks,

Use a stick or the edge of a thin enough board that you can wrap
sandpaper around. Or use some valve grinding paste from the auto parts
store instead of paper.

Mike Marlow November 26th 04 10:52 PM

"max" wrote in message
I have naval lint, but not jelly.
max

You have to leave it in there longer. Just after the smelly stage the jelly
stage begins.
--

-Mike-

mac davis November 26th 04 11:19 PM

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 21:04:00 GMT, max wrote:

I have naval lint, but not jelly.
max

that's a GOOD thing, I think...

Hylourgos November 27th 04 01:03 AM

I think I'll try the electrolysis first (thanks Andy), since I've
never tried it on anything but a submersible piece, then clean up the
remains with a dremel and wire brush, or even try the sanding pads or
rubber pads (Wonderblocks?).

Good suggestions all. Happy holidays,

Steven and Gail Peterson November 27th 04 09:25 PM

The time-honored way to remove rust without doing much damage to the metal
is to brush on Coke, which is mildly acidic. You still need to clean it up
afterward.

Steve

om...

Unisaw A100 November 28th 04 12:16 AM

Steven and Gail Peterson wrote:
The time-honored way to remove rust without doing much damage to the metal
is to brush on Coke, which is mildly acidic. You still need to clean it up
afterward.

Didn't Myth Busters do this one a couple/few shows back?

Grounded PVC is the only way to remove rust.

UA100

Nova November 28th 04 01:26 AM

Unisaw A100 wrote:

Steven and Gail Peterson wrote:
The time-honored way to remove rust without doing much damage to the metal
is to brush on Coke, which is mildly acidic. You still need to clean it up
afterward.

Didn't Myth Busters do this one a couple/few shows back?

Yes they did test Coke as a rust removed and (IIRC) it worked well, at least on
a chrome bumper.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

patriarch November 28th 04 07:06 AM

Unisaw A100 wrote in
:

snip

Grounded PVC is the only way to remove rust.

UA100

So how do I clamp the PVC to my new/old Stanley #7?

Patriarch,
who remembers reading Michael Baglio's informative link on grounding PVC in
a dust collection system...