Rob Pierce

Default Mitering large bevel angles

I have a sculpture project where I need to bevel hardboard at 60
degree angles. My DeWalt compound miter saw can only bevel to 48
degrees.

I don't see any way around this, but does anyone have any tricks or
ideas to achieve such a cut? Keep in mind that the angle I need should
be as precise as possible.

The idea of buying a new miter saw is discouraging but I'll bite the
bullet if it means getting this project done.

Thanks

Rob Pierce
www.robpierce.com

Leon

Since you are cutting a bevel vs. a miter, you are probably going to have
to use a table saw with the piece standing on edge against the rip fence and
IIRC you wan to set the blade bevel to 30 degrees.

"Rob Pierce" wrote in message
I have a sculpture project where I need to bevel hardboard at 60
degree angles. My DeWalt compound miter saw can only bevel to 48
degrees.

I don't see any way around this, but does anyone have any tricks or
ideas to achieve such a cut? Keep in mind that the angle I need should
be as precise as possible.

The idea of buying a new miter saw is discouraging but I'll bite the
bullet if it means getting this project done.

Thanks

Rob Pierce
www.robpierce.com

Bernard Randall

"Rob Pierce" wrote in message
I have a sculpture project where I need to bevel hardboard at 60
degree angles. My DeWalt compound miter saw can only bevel to 48
degrees.

I don't see any way around this, but does anyone have any tricks or
ideas to achieve such a cut? Keep in mind that the angle I need should
be as precise as possible.

The idea of buying a new miter saw is discouraging but I'll bite the
bullet if it means getting this project done.

Thanks

If you have a router - make a jig, essestially two straight pieces of wood,
fixed so that the the router is the required angle to the workpiece. If you
need more details I can email you a sketch.

BernardR

Rob Pierce
www.robpierce.com

Bill Wallace

Is this a troll?

Isn't 30 degrees the other side of 60? Can't you turn the piece over
or am I missing something here?

BW

Rob Pierce wrote in message . ..
I have a sculpture project where I need to bevel hardboard at 60
degree angles. My DeWalt compound miter saw can only bevel to 48
degrees.

I don't see any way around this, but does anyone have any tricks or
ideas to achieve such a cut? Keep in mind that the angle I need should
be as precise as possible.

The idea of buying a new miter saw is discouraging but I'll bite the
bullet if it means getting this project done.

Thanks

Rob Pierce
www.robpierce.com

Leon

"Bill Wallace" wrote in message
om...
Is this a troll?

Isn't 30 degrees the other side of 60? Can't you turn the piece over
or am I missing something here?

Your missing something. Turn the piece over and you still end up with 30
degrees.

Bob

"Bill Wallace" wrote in message
om...
Is this a troll?

Isn't 30 degrees the other side of 60? Can't you turn the piece over
or am I missing something here?

I think you are missing something. Forget the numbers for a second and
let's describe it physically. I believe what the OP is looking for is
beveling the edge of board at a very shallow angle - much shallower than can
be done with a miter saw or table saw with the wood laid out flat on the
table. That's why the suggestion to cut it with the wood standing
vertically against the table saw fence.

Bob

Morris Dovey

Rob Pierce wrote:

I have a sculpture project where I need to bevel hardboard at 60
degree angles. My DeWalt compound miter saw can only bevel to 48
degrees.

I don't see any way around this, but does anyone have any tricks or
ideas to achieve such a cut? Keep in mind that the angle I need should
be as precise as possible.

Rob...

You might consider changing tools. If I needed to do this in my
shop, my approach would probably be to stand the hardboard on
edge and run it through my table saw on edge with the sawblade
set 30º off vertical. I'd probably back the hardboard with
plywood or a piece of 2x6.

It'd also probably be possible to build a fixture of construction
lumber to which the hardboard could be clamped and which would
support a hand-guided circular saw (imagine an inverted "L"
shape). A straightedge could be clamped to such a fixture for the
saw's sole plate to bear against (to insure a straight saw path).

I think you could use either of these approaches to achieve
fairly decent precision.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Leon

"Bill Wallace" wrote in message
om...
No wonder my projects always come out so screwed up! Plus, I figured
out that I was indeed missing something... my brain. Im glad I take a
bit more time to think things through in the shop, I really enjoy all
these fingers.

BW

LOL
Most often it is the simple things that throw us.