Kenneth

Default Saddle brackets...?

Howdy,

There is a gadget called a "saddle bracket" (or so I
thought...)

It is a sheet metal assembly that allows the use of "square
end" rafters. Instead of angling then end of the rafter
appropriately, this sheet metal hanger is used.

There is a similar gadget that is used at the bottom to
avoid the necessity for cutting the bird's mouth.

I am looking for a source for these things, but am having
trouble. My strong suspicion is that they now go by a name
other than "saddle bracket."

Despite a visit to Home Depot, and lots of Googling, I am
getting nowhere. I also checked my MSC catalog and found
that not only could I not locate the specific item I need, I
could not even locate things like joist hangers. I am pretty
sure that they are somewhere in those 4000 odd pages by a
name that I am not considering.

Can you suggest a source, or another name by which these
things might be known?

Sincere thanks,

--
Kenneth

Phil

"Kenneth" wrote in message

Howdy,

There is a gadget called a "saddle bracket" (or so I
thought...)

It is a sheet metal assembly that allows the use of "square
end" rafters. Instead of angling then end of the rafter
appropriately, this sheet metal hanger is used.

Snip...

Sincere thanks,

--
Kenneth

Try this link:

http://www.strongtie.com/

Phil Davis
247PalmBeachRE.com

Dave Jackson

I don't know of any mechanical fasteners that would allow you to connect the
rafter to the ridge as a straight cut. Also, those hurricane ties are not
meant to replace the birdsmouth cut, they are to keep tension between the
rafter and top plates on the structure in the event of a hurricane or
earthquake, thus keeping the roof system attached to the wall system. I'm
unsure of what you are trying to build here, but cutting the correct angles
for a simple gable type roof is well within the realm of something your
average DIY'er can do. If you are trying to avoid this, try getting a
Swanson speed square with directions, I think you'll find it's not as hard
as it appears.--dave

"Phil" wrote in message
.. .
"Kenneth" wrote in message

Howdy,

There is a gadget called a "saddle bracket" (or so I
thought...)

It is a sheet metal assembly that allows the use of "square
end" rafters. Instead of angling then end of the rafter
appropriately, this sheet metal hanger is used.

Snip...

Sincere thanks,

--
Kenneth

Try this link:

http://www.strongtie.com/

Phil Davis
247PalmBeachRE.com

Norman D. Crow

"Australopithecus scobis" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 02:56:34 +0000, Dave Jackson wrote:

Swanson speed square with directions, I think you'll find it's not as

hard
as it appears.--dave

You mentioned the speed square in another post too. I'm curious: are those
gadgets of any use to woodworking tasks in general, or just framing?
Framing squares are handy in the shop, for instance.

I have a couple of the small(7"?) ones from aluminum that I use a lot. Quick
layout for a 90deg. cut in anything, also you can lay out a miter angle real
quick if you don't have the miter saw out and prefer to leave that pesky
miter gauge @ 90deg. on the tablesaw.

--
Nahmie

Dave Jackson

I would by no means call them accurate enough for fine furniture, but if
you were building picnic tables or other outdoor furniture, etc. that
required angle cuts, the speed square is unbeatable. I can drop the thing
on a board and pivot it to whatever angle i need to cut and mark it just
that quickly. It also has markings to cut roof rafter angles and the hip.
Although it may seem confusing at first with all the markings for differrent
things, the learning curve is minimal for the average DIY'er. I use mine
everyday to layout stuff, framing and finishing. In fact, it's right there
with the hammer and tape measure for things we carpenters *must* carry in
our tool pouches. I usually see them sold for around $10 with a little blue
book that will explain how to use it. Plus, they are virtually
indestructable. Try one, you can't go wrong. --dave

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/cus...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

"Australopithecus scobis" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 02:56:34 +0000, Dave Jackson wrote:

Swanson speed square with directions, I think you'll find it's not as
hard
as it appears.--dave

You mentioned the speed square in another post too. I'm curious: are those
gadgets of any use to woodworking tasks in general, or just framing?
Framing squares are handy in the shop, for instance.

--
"Keep your ass behind you"
vladimir a t mad {dot} scientist {dot} com