DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   American Woodworker Mag Sells E-mail List (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/77436-american-woodworker-mag-sells-e-mail-list.html)

Pete November 19th 04 10:26 AM

American Woodworker Mag Sells E-mail List

I'm not sure if anyone is concerned about this, but...

FYI: If you send your e-mail address to American Woodworker Magazine,
they will sell your e-mail address...

If you want to prove this for yourself, here's my "EZ Guide To
Identifying Who Sells E-mail Lists" (I actually picked this trick up
from a network security buddy of mine...):

1. Buy a domain, e.g., pete.tv
2. Purchase an e-mail account on your domain, e.g.,
3. Select the option to have all e-mail not destined for e-mail
accounts on your domain sent to your e-mail address. For example, if
the e-mail address
does not exist it will bounce to

4. When someone, such as American Woodworker Magazine, asks for your
e-mail address, enter one that will easily identify the source, e.g.:
(this is a non-existent e-mail
account on your domain that will bounce to your e-mail account)

That's it. So, if someone, such as AWM sells your e-mail address, the
person/people who purchased your e-mail address will have the address
identifying who you gave it to.

Disclaimer: I'm not sure if the fine print of AWM specifies that you
are giving them permission to sell your e-mail address, but I don't
care. No one reads that stuff anyway and people who sell e-mail lists
are not very honorable (even though I really like AWM, lots of good
information...).

Just thought someone might find this interesting...

Ba r r y November 19th 04 11:20 AM

On 19 Nov 2004 02:26:47 -0800, (Pete) wrote:

I'm not sure if anyone is concerned about this, but...

FYI: If you send your e-mail address to American Woodworker Magazine,
they will sell your e-mail address...

If you want to prove this for yourself, here's my "EZ Guide To
Identifying Who Sells E-mail Lists" (I actually picked this trick up
from a network security buddy of mine...):

I've been doing this for 20 years with USPS addresses. I simply stick
some letters in the "company" field of the address.

American Express was the worst I've seen with snail mail list renting.

Barry

Jim Giblin November 19th 04 01:36 PM

Your suggestion is intriguing. In your example, what will the 'from'
address be when the email is received? That is, does it arrive addressed
from 'AmericanWoodworkerMagazine' or 'Pete'? I'm thinking how it can be
handled by an Outlook rule.

om...

Bob November 19th 04 03:21 PM

"Pete" wrote in message
om...
I'm not sure if anyone is concerned about this, but...

FYI: If you send your e-mail address to American Woodworker Magazine,
they will sell your e-mail address...

That's a fact of life with most commercial enterprises. Many email services
are adding "address guard" or other similarly named features. My yahoo
email is a commercial account and I use the address guard feature
exclusively for any online email registrations.

Bob

Fred the Red Shirt November 19th 04 07:51 PM

(Pete) wrote in message . com...
I'm not sure if anyone is concerned about this, but...

FYI: If you send your e-mail address to American Woodworker Magazine,
they will sell your e-mail address...

If you want to prove this for yourself, here's my "EZ Guide To
Identifying Who Sells E-mail Lists" (I actually picked this trick up
from a network security buddy of mine...):

1. Buy a domain, e.g., pete.tv
2. Purchase an e-mail account on your domain, e.g.,

3. Select the option to have all e-mail not destined for e-mail
accounts on your domain sent to your e-mail address. For example, if
the e-mail address
does not exist it will bounce to

4. When someone, such as American Woodworker Magazine, asks for your
e-mail address, enter one that will easily identify the source, e.g.:
(this is a non-existent e-mail
account on your domain that will bounce to your e-mail account)

Some email software (e.g. the ones that work correctly meaning they
conform to the RFC's) support tagged email addresses. THat is
you can send to and the email
will be delivered to
but the username
fredfighter+google will appear in the To: field.

You can use the tag for filtering too, this is very helpful when
you really do subscribe to something, order something online etc.

A lot of webpages will not alow one to subscribe with a tagged
address, and some ISPs do not deliver them properly. Also, wiley,
crafty spammers can de-tag them.

But that may be an option for some.

--

FF

Norman D. Crow November 19th 04 09:15 PM

"Ba r r y" wrote in message
On 19 Nov 2004 02:26:47 -0800, (Pete) wrote:

I'm not sure if anyone is concerned about this, but...

FYI: If you send your e-mail address to American Woodworker Magazine,
they will sell your e-mail address...

If you want to prove this for yourself, here's my "EZ Guide To
Identifying Who Sells E-mail Lists" (I actually picked this trick up
from a network security buddy of mine...):

I've been doing this for 20 years with USPS addresses. I simply stick
some letters in the "company" field of the address.

American Express was the worst I've seen with snail mail list renting.

Several lifetimes ago(G), SWMBO's uncle published a mag called "Engineering
Opportunities". This was in the '60s, the space race job market was booming,
and the mag was strictly a job search. It was free to anyone holding a
college degree, and I got one as a relative. The publication was totally
paid for by the advertisers, technology companies looking for engineers.
They used "trap" addresses in their circulation list to catch anyone using
their list. I.E., all real mail to me was full name, Norman D. Crow, but on
the magazine it was N. Dale Crow. If I ever got any other mail addressed
like that, I was to call.

When with NCR, we serviced the EDP system used by the American Legion.
Couple years after I left Indy, found out the FBI arrived one day & hauled
off the EDP Mgr. Seems he got caught selling copies of the "Legionnaire"
circulation list.
--
Nahmie

Wood Butcher November 19th 04 10:02 PM

Another option is spamgourmet.com.
http://www.spamgourmet.com/

It provides free disposable email addresses which
only work for a user specified number of messages.
Anything sent to a disposable address gets forwarded
to your real address. Nothing gets forwarded after
the limit is reached for a particular address. It's simple
to set up and really easy to use on the fly.

I've been using it for over a year now and highly
recommend it.

Art

om...

Joe AutoDrill November 19th 04 10:05 PM

Get your own web site with unlimited forwarding capability.

i.e. myownsite.com

That way you can input the following eMail address next time,
Anything that comes to that eMail address NOT
from the source listed is obviously spam.

I do this... And as soon as I start getting spam, I automatically forward
it and send it off to (in this case)
, ,
etc.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
http://www.autodrill.com
http://www.multi-spindle-heads.com

V8013

Fred the Red Shirt November 20th 04 07:09 PM

"Joe AutoDrill" wrote in message ...
Get your own web site with unlimited forwarding capability.

i.e. myownsite.com

Uh, websites can forward HTTP (web traffic) but not SMTP (email).

Perhaps you mispelt 'domain'.

--

FF

[email protected] November 20th 04 09:14 PM

On 20 Nov 2004 11:09:39 -0800, (Fred the Red
Shirt) wrote:

"Joe AutoDrill" wrote in message ...
Get your own web site with unlimited forwarding capability.

i.e. myownsite.com

Uh, websites can forward HTTP (web traffic) but not SMTP (email).

Perhaps you mispelt 'domain'.

If you do this, make sure you're not running as an open relay. I got
about 2500 spams a day when that happened to me.

--RC

Sleep? Isn't that a totally inadequate substitute for caffine?

Fred the Red Shirt November 21st 04 04:32 PM

wrote in message . ..
On 20 Nov 2004 11:09:39 -0800,
(Fred the Red
Shirt) wrote:

"Joe AutoDrill" wrote in message ...
Get your own web site with unlimited forwarding capability.

i.e. myownsite.com

Uh, websites can forward HTTP (web traffic) but not SMTP (email).

Perhaps you mispelt 'domain'.

If you do this, make sure you're not running as an open relay. I got
about 2500 spams a day when that happened to me.

Indeed yes.

An open relay is usually used to spam other people, not the owner
of the relay. Typically a few thousand spams will pass through
each day and the owner will not even be aware of it until he
gets complaints or gets blacklisted.

Were those 2500 spams you got JUST bounces and complaints?

--

FF

[email protected] November 21st 04 07:28 PM

On 21 Nov 2004 08:32:08 -0800, (Fred the Red
Shirt) wrote:

wrote in message . ..
On 20 Nov 2004 11:09:39 -0800,
(Fred the Red
Shirt) wrote:

"Joe AutoDrill" wrote in message ...
Get your own web site with unlimited forwarding capability.

i.e. myownsite.com

Uh, websites can forward HTTP (web traffic) but not SMTP (email).

Perhaps you mispelt 'domain'.

If you do this, make sure you're not running as an open relay. I got
about 2500 spams a day when that happened to me.

Indeed yes.

An open relay is usually used to spam other people, not the owner
of the relay. Typically a few thousand spams will pass through
each day and the owner will not even be aware of it until he
gets complaints or gets blacklisted.

Were those 2500 spams you got JUST bounces and complaints?

No they were spams sent to non-existent addresses at my domain. I have
no idea how many went to other people via that domain.

I had it set to forward all mail to the domain to my own mailbox and
for various reasons I couldn't change that until I changed the hosting
company.

Joe AutoDrill November 22nd 04 01:37 PM

Uh, websites can forward HTTP (web traffic) but not SMTP (email).

Web sites cannot forward mail, but my hosting company offers free email
forwarding and a number of pop3 accounts. Any of those addresses can be
forwarded by me alone to where I want to forward it.

i.e. my address here is I get
legitimate eMails through that address. However, once the spams outnumber
the legitimate mails by a good number, I automatically forward
to the FTC and start using
something like

Nobody can spam through my site that way unless they break in, set up a
list, take over a pop3 account or a redirect.

They can, of course, spoof their outgoing email address to look like it is
me, but that's just smoke and mirrors.

Fred the Red Shirt November 22nd 04 05:59 PM

wrote in message . ..
On 21 Nov 2004 08:32:08 -0800,
(Fred the Red
Shirt) wrote:

Were those 2500 spams you got JUST bounces and complaints?

No they were spams sent to non-existent addresses at my domain.

Ah, dictionary attack.

I have
no idea how many went to other people via that domain.

If it was an open server, probably a lot. At least you knew you
had one. Some of the viruses spread over the last two years
surrepeticiously installed open relays on unsuspecting people;s
insecure windows PCs--providing the spammers with a huge supply
of open relays through which to spam.

--

FF

Barry Lennox November 23rd 04 07:50 AM

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 22:02:02 GMT, "Wood Butcher"
wrote:

Another option is spamgourmet.com.
http://www.spamgourmet.com/

It provides free disposable email addresses which
only work for a user specified number of messages.
Anything sent to a disposable address gets forwarded
to your real address. Nothing gets forwarded after
the limit is reached for a particular address. It's simple
to set up and really easy to use on the fly.

I've been using it for over a year now and highly
recommend it.

Me too, I have been using Spamgourmet for a long time now, and it's
very handy. It proves that XYZ sold your email address and I have had
a couple of interesting debates with offenders. Not much help really,
but it's fun.

Barry Lennox