MGH

Default Okene oil replacement

One of my all time favorites finishes has been Okene Antique Oil by Pratt
and Lambert. I have used this product for over 30 years with excellent
results. The finish is applied with a small rage, the first coats
penetrate, the more coats the greater the surface build up, wax the surface
with 0000 steel wool and buff. The product is no longer on the market. I've
tried the following, Benjamin Moore Antique Oil, Watco Danish Oil, Minwax
Antique Oil, Hopes Tongue Oil, Tried and True with bee's wax, I mixed Minwax
polyurethane and Minwax Antique Oil none give suitable results like the
Okene. I need suggestions for a replacement. I am down the just a few
ounces of Okene and need a replacement.

Thanks
MGH

Gerald Ross

MGH wrote:
One of my all time favorites finishes has been Okene Antique Oil by Pratt
and Lambert. I have used this product for over 30 years with excellent
results. The finish is applied with a small rage, the first coats

^^^^^^^
Bad for your blood pressure.

Thanks
MGH

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

A bachelor is a selfish, undeserving
guy who has cheated some woman out of
a divorce.

Leon

"MGH" wrote in message
One of my all time favorites finishes has been Okene Antique Oil by Pratt
and Lambert. I have used this product for over 30 years with excellent
results. The finish is applied with a small rage, the first coats
penetrate, the more coats the greater the surface build up, wax the
surface
with 0000 steel wool and buff.

I try not to do any wood working if I am in any rage at all. ;~)

The product is no longer on the market. I've
tried the following, Benjamin Moore Antique Oil, Watco Danish Oil, Minwax
Antique Oil, Hopes Tongue Oil, Tried and True with bee's wax, I mixed
Minwax
polyurethane and Minwax Antique Oil none give suitable results like the
Okene. I need suggestions for a replacement. I am down the just a few
ounces of Okene and need a replacement.

Not knowing what the results looked like it will be hard to suggest a
replacement but I have been using General Finishes since the late 70's with
great results.

mac davis

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 14:53:17 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

"MGH" wrote in message
.. .
One of my all time favorites finishes has been Okene Antique Oil by Pratt
and Lambert. I have used this product for over 30 years with excellent
results. The finish is applied with a small rage, the first coats
penetrate, the more coats the greater the surface build up, wax the
surface
with 0000 steel wool and buff.

I try not to do any wood working if I am in any rage at all. ;~)

snip
I find that it's a good time to put a scrap of 2x2 or something on the
lathe and make shavings...
It's amazing how much calmer that makes me... of course, I stay out of
the shop if I'm well oiled that night..

Posted to rec.woodworking

replying to MGH, amateur wrote:
mgh wrote:

One of my all time favorites finishes has been Okene Antique Oil by Pratt
and Lambert. I have used this product for over 30 years with excellent
results. The finish is applied with a small rage, the first coats
penetrate, the more coats the greater the surface build up, wax the surface
with 0000 steel wool and buff. The product is no longer on the market.

I've
tried the following, Benjamin Moore Antique Oil, Watco Danish Oil, Minwax
Antique Oil, Hopes Tongue Oil, Tried and True with bee's wax, I mixed

Minwax
polyurethane and Minwax Antique Oil none give suitable results like the
Okene. I need suggestions for a replacement. I am down the just a few
ounces of Okene and need a replacement.
Thanks
MGH

Help, I'm in the same boat. Did you get any help? Some people have told
me to use tongue oil but I have learned that some tongue oil finishes
don't even have tongue oil in them.
Do you know what was in Okene? An old timer told me it was tongue oil
and danish oil but I don't know if that is true. I don't know where to
turn. thanks, ph.

Posted to rec.woodworking

mgh wrote:

[...]

check out http://www.sutherlandwelles.com/ they sell polymerized tung
oil. It is teat treated tung oil and it works great. You can also buy it
from lee valley. they get it in bulk from SW and package and sell it. It
is a wipe on wait 5-10 minutes and wipe off. Depending on what I am
making, I apply 3-5 coats at least 24 hours apart. The more coats the
better the build.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, September 10, 2015 at 9:13:07 PM UTC-5, Dan Kozar wrote:

mgh wrote:

[...]

.... Discussion, .... discussion....
..... In conclusion, the best kind of tongue oil is the teat treated kind.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

mgh wrote:

[...]

My sentiments exactly.

--
GW Ross

I plan on living forever. So far, so good.

Posted to rec.woodworking

check out http://www.sutherlandwelles.com/ they sell polymerized tung
oil. It is teat treated tung oil and it works great. You can also buy it
from lee valley. they get it in bulk from SW and package and sell it. It
is a wipe on wait 5-10 minutes and wipe off. Depending on what I am
making, I apply 3-5 coats at least 24 hours apart. The more coats the
better the build.

Oops, should be heat treated, although it might be more fun to treat
teats with tung oil :-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

replying to MGH, Ridelo wrote:
mgh wrote:

One of my all time favorites finishes has been Okene Antique Oil by Pratt
and Lambert. I have used this product for over 30 years with excellent
results. The finish is applied with a small rage, the first coats
penetrate, the more coats the greater the surface build up, wax the surface
with 0000 steel wool and buff. The product is no longer on the market.

I've
tried the following, Benjamin Moore Antique Oil, Watco Danish Oil, Minwax
Antique Oil, Hopes Tongue Oil, Tried and True with bee's wax, I mixed

Minwax
polyurethane and Minwax Antique Oil none give suitable results like the
Okene. I need suggestions for a replacement. I am down the just a few
ounces of Okene and need a replacement.
Thanks
MGH

Hey MGH, don't know when you posted this but I too used Okene for 30
years. I finally purchased the only product suitable to go over Okene and
that is WATCO Danish Oil, Natural. All other Danish oil products I looked
at had a verathane in it which I did not want.

Did my first piece of antique yesterday. Used 180grit 3x sandpaper to
remove a water stain and freshen up the rest of the top of the washstand.
Brushed the oil on, waited 15 minutes, wiped off. Wow, I was so impressed.
Love the feeling of velvet smooth once dry. I did a second coat today,
same timing/process and am very happy with the results.

Not sure what you did not like about WATCO. I was also advised to buy two
containers, as this product may not be easily available in the future.
Since I oil my furniture every 4 years, I did. Figure I'm set for life
now! Posted Sept 2015.

Posted to rec.woodworking

replying to MGH, Chungke wrote:
1/3 boiled linseed oil, tung oil and turpentine.

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/woodwor...nt-288667-.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking

replying to amateur, Tomas wrote:
Daly's Benite is almost as good.
I still have half a quart of okene I'm auctioning off

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...nt-288667-.htm