DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Method for trimming out 4x4 ???????? (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/76273-method-trimming-out-4x4.html)

[email protected] November 11th 04 05:18 PM

Method for trimming out 4x4 ????????

I have a small porch that has the roof supported by 4x4 pressure
treated lumber. I want to surround them with mahogany. What would be
the best method, mitering the edges and biscuits to form the four
sides or just butting the edges together.
all suggestions appreciated,
Mike

Mike Marlow November 11th 04 08:02 PM

wrote in message
I have a small porch that has the roof supported by 4x4 pressure
treated lumber. I want to surround them with mahogany. What would be
the best method, mitering the edges and biscuits to form the four
sides or just butting the edges together.
all suggestions appreciated,
Mike

It all depends on the look you want. There is no "best" in this type of
thing.
--

-Mike-

Pat Barber November 11th 04 08:48 PM

A common method is butt joints with two sides being a
wee bit longer. It gives a little shadow detail and
helps out when the wood starts moving around. I would
stick with nails and no glue, since the syp post will
also "move around"..

Lawrence Wasserman November 12th 04 06:41 PM

In article ,
wrote:
I have a small porch that has the roof supported by 4x4 pressure
treated lumber. I want to surround them with mahogany. What would be
the best method, mitering the edges and biscuits to form the four
sides or just butting the edges together.
all suggestions appreciated,
Mike

Just my opinion, if the PT 4X4s are typical they will have some bow,
twist,etc, that will make it difficult to fit mitered edge boards over
them. I'd use butt joints.
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

Duane Bozarth December 18th 04 02:29 AM

wrote:

I have a small porch that has the roof supported by 4x4 pressure
treated lumber. I want to surround them with mahogany. What would be
the best method, mitering the edges and biscuits to form the four
sides or just butting the edges together.
all suggestions appreciated,
Mike

I you do decide to go for the mitered edge, cut them oversize enough
to not try to put them on the post directly but let them float. Plus,
use a glue joint miter bit in either your shaper a (large) table router
with a guide fence. Then, assemble two pieces into two right angle
pieces and put them together in place.