Curtis Bergeron

Default Planer Purchase

Hello everybody,

I am going to be purchasing a bigger planer in the very near future and
was wondering what peoples thoughts were on this subject. The
Woodmaster and RBI sure look like nice universal tools that I would love
to have since I would like to be able to make my own 5 ¾" base, 3 ½"
casing and 8" plinth blocks but I am not sure how the finish is when
using the planer itself. I have seen some people complain about the
finish and others love it. My other choices are the Powermatic 15"
deluxe model or the 20" model. I am leaning more towards the 20" model
as it has 4 cutter heads and will probably provide a very nice finish
and can allow me to plane panels up to 20" wide. Any opinions out there
as to what you would purchase if you had $2K to spend on a planer?

Thanks.
Curtis
Slowhand

"Curtis Bergeron" wrote in message
m...
Hello everybody,

I am going to be purchasing a bigger planer in the very near future and
was wondering what peoples thoughts were on this subject. The
Woodmaster and RBI sure look like nice universal tools that I would love
to have since I would like to be able to make my own 5 ¾" base, 3 ½"
casing and 8" plinth blocks but I am not sure how the finish is when
using the planer itself. I have seen some people complain about the
finish and others love it. My other choices are the Powermatic 15"
deluxe model or the 20" model. I am leaning more towards the 20" model
as it has 4 cutter heads and will probably provide a very nice finish
and can allow me to plane panels up to 20" wide. Any opinions out there
as to what you would purchase if you had $2K to spend on a planer?

I'm saving my sheckles for the Powermatic 15" fwiw. But, if you have 2k to
spend, I'd get the 20". Bigger, more power, gotta be better!
SH

Jon Endres, PE

"Curtis Bergeron" wrote in message
m...

Any opinions out there as to what you would purchase if you had $2K to

spend on a planer?

Yep. Woodmaster 718, $1600 or so, plus shipping, gets you in the 2k range.
Woodmaster 718 with Pro-pak allows you to do those moldings, plus drum sand,
plus gang rip, for an extra $700.

I've been inquiring about the Woodmasters for a year or so, and as soon as I
find the space for one, I'm getting a 718. I don't see any other reasonable
options.

Jon E

RonB

Curtis - Also take a look at the string below "Which 15" Planer - Ollie" He
is looking at
several including Powermatic, Griz, and others. Might be some useful info
show up there too.

Sbtypesetter

That's easy. Parks 98. I'd put the other
$1300 into other good tools.

Curtis Bergeron

"RonB" wrote in message news:RjUhd.43608$EZ.28700@okepread07...
Curtis - Also take a look at the string below "Which 15" Planer - Ollie" He
is looking at
several including Powermatic, Griz, and others. Might be some useful info
show up there too.

Thanks Ron, I have been trying to find my post and somehow it managed
to show up under another Planer Purchase post. I guess since I gave
it the same name it put it under the existing. Woops!

Curtis
david zaret

i have a 718 with pro-pack, and it's a good machine. i have very few
complaints. it's simple... but extremely well built. plus, i find that
i use the drum sanding attachment as much as the planer. and it cuts
molding beautifully.

good luck with your purchase.

--- dz

Jon Endres, PE wrote:
"Curtis Bergeron" wrote in message
m...

Any opinions out there as to what you would purchase if you had $2K to

spend on a planer?

Yep. Woodmaster 718, $1600 or so, plus shipping, gets you in the 2k range.
Woodmaster 718 with Pro-pak allows you to do those moldings, plus drum sand,
plus gang rip, for an extra $700.

I've been inquiring about the Woodmasters for a year or so, and as soon as I
find the space for one, I'm getting a 718. I don't see any other reasonable
options.

Jon E

Jon Endres, PE

Since making my post, I found a Woodmaster 718 w/ pro pack in the local
classifieds for $1100. Six years old, has very little use, but was a bit
rusty. I bought it anyway. Guy had *everything* with it, including the
original invoice and an extra set of blades for the planer. No molding
knives, though (curiously).

Jon E

om...