Old October 31st 04, 10:35 PM
Tom Watson

Default Which Is Witch - A Halloween Wood Identification Quiz - Five Pix on ABPW

Almost everyone enjoys the Great Pumpkin of American Hardwoods - that
being Cherry.

Unfortunately, not everyone can afford it and even those that can are
often too impatient to wait for it to mellow out and darken naturally.

When I was making cabinets for people I was often asked to provide a
Cherry Look, without the price tag. I was also asked to apply a toner
to real Cherry, to mimic the look it would have if left alone for ten
years or so.

The attachment contains five color samples. Two of them are Poplar.
One of them is Birch Plywood. One of them is Solid Cherry. One of
them is Cherry Plywood.

The clearcoats are all nitro lacquer and I'm sorry to say that the
samples have picked up some nasty scratches over time. Still, I think
they provide a fair test.

I'll post the answers in a day or two.

Regards,
Tom.

Thomas J.Watson - Cabinetmaker (ret.)
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1

Old November 1st 04, 12:20 AM
Silvan

Tom Watson wrote:

Cherry Look, without the price tag. I was also asked to apply a toner
to real Cherry, to mimic the look it would have if left alone for ten
years or so.

Pretty ghastly, ain't it? At my uncle's place there's this massive,
extremely ornate china cabinet made out of some near ebony-colored wood
that has obviously had stain applied with a bucket. He bragged that it's
solid cherry.

Why?? WHY????????

I just don't get it. Why waste a thousand bucks worth of wood giving it a
finish like that when you could achieve the same result with MDF and paint?

I think if I were the guy doing that job for them I'd be tempted to stick
the cherry in my basement and actually build the thing out of poplar or
something. They'd never know the difference, and I would be preventing a
great crime from being committed.

Hell, I might even build it out of OAK. What do you reckon they'd ever
notice?

The attachment contains five color samples. Two of them are Poplar.
One of them is Birch Plywood. One of them is Solid Cherry. One of
them is Cherry Plywood.

I'll post the answers in a day or two.

If they're there, they aren't showing up here. I looked at ABPW with the
usenet replayer thing (neither of my servers does binaries anymore) and all
I see are some random tables and whatnots and a bunch of toy trains.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Old November 1st 04, 08:19 AM
Fly-by-Night CC

#1 is the real deal - it doesn't matter the ID of the others, they're
just the ugly stepsisters trying to hitch a ride on the pumpkin.

____

"To know the world intimately is the beginning of caring."
-- Ann Hayman Zwinger
Old November 1st 04, 06:16 PM
Larry Jaques

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 16:35:10 -0500, Tom Watson
calmly ranted:

Almost everyone enjoys the Great Pumpkin of American Hardwoods - that
being Cherry.

I like the nutty brown color of cherry, not the gawdawful mess
people call a "cherry finish", Tawm. Shame on you for actually
staining cherry. That's a "karma demerits" offense, y'know.

Unfortunately, not everyone can afford it and even those that can are
often too impatient to wait for it to mellow out and darken naturally.

When I was making cabinets for people I was often asked to provide a
Cherry Look, without the price tag. I was also asked to apply a toner
to real Cherry, to mimic the look it would have if left alone for ten
years or so.

So why didn't you tell them that you could set the wood in the sun for
a couple days, then let them tell you when to build?

The attachment contains five color samples. Two of them are Poplar.
One of them is Birch Plywood. One of them is Solid Cherry. One of
them is Cherry Plywood.

All I can say is "Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww ww!"
Wild Cherry flavor ain't purty at all.

The answer to your challenge is: Who cares which was the real wood
at this (discolored) point? I choose F) None of the above.

--
"Given the low level of competence among politicians,
every American should become a Libertarian."
-- Charley Reese, Alameda Times-Star (California), June 17, 2003

Old November 1st 04, 06:39 PM
Tom Watson

The answer to your challenge is: cluck...cluck...cluck

Old November 1st 04, 09:09 PM
Tim Douglass

wrote:

The attachment contains five color samples. Two of them are Poplar.
One of them is Birch Plywood. One of them is Solid Cherry. One of
them is Cherry Plywood.

I think you forgot the attachment - at least it never made it over
here.

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com
Old November 2nd 04, 11:25 PM
Tom Watson

1. Solid Poplar.
2. Solid Poplar.
3. Birch Ply.
4. Solid Cherry.
5. Cherry Ply.

;-

Old November 3rd 04, 12:39 AM
Tom Watson

wrote:

I like the nutty brown color of cherry, not the gawdawful mess
people call a "cherry finish", Tawm. Shame on you for actually
staining cherry. That's a "karma demerits" offense, y'know.

The customer is God. How's your bidness going?

So why didn't you tell them that you could set the wood in the sun for
a couple days, then let them tell you when to build?

A thousand board feet for a cherry leebrary (library, dave) would be
quite a sunbathing exhibition.

All I can say is "Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww ww!"
Wild Cherry flavor ain't purty at all.

cf: The Customer Is God.

The answer to your challenge is: Who cares which was the real wood
at this (discolored) point? I choose F) None of the above.

If'n you weren't sech a girlyman (insert party of choice, bob) ye'd be
able to tell the real deal (i didn't really mean deal, andy) by the
grain, pitch slashes, etc.

Old November 3rd 04, 01:45 AM
Fly-by-Night CC

Tom Watson wrote:

1. Solid Poplar.

Damn - I couldasworn.

____

Old November 3rd 04, 02:19 AM
Edwin Pawlowski

"Fly-by-Night CC" wrote in message
news
In article ,
Tom Watson wrote:

1. Solid Poplar.

Damn - I couldasworn.

That's what happens when you dip it in cherry Kool Aid.