Never Enough Money

Default Sunny Window and Wood

I want to build a low table just under one of my windows. The window
is the sunniest one in the house. I'm concerned about the sun fading
the wood... and Colorado sun is merciless.

What would be a good choice of wood and finish for this? I might even
put some UV protective glass on the top.

I happen to have some hard maple, lyptus, and zerba wood already in my
shop, not that I would not go out and buy something else....like
walnut....

What say y'all?

Mark & Juanita

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 12:49:44 -0500, "Mark Hopkins"
wrote:

"Never Enough Money" wrote in message
. com...
I want to build a low table just under one of my windows. The window
is the sunniest one in the house. I'm concerned about the sun fading
the wood... and Colorado sun is merciless.

What would be a good choice of wood and finish for this? I might even
put some UV protective glass on the top.

I happen to have some hard maple, lyptus, and zerba wood already in my
shop, not that I would not go out and buy something else....like
walnut....

What say y'all?

Maple has my vote.

Just don't try dyeing it. Dyes will fade in sunlight, linseed oil will
yellow -- tung oil or other finishes are probably your best bet.
Ed Clarke

In article ,
Never Enough Money wrote:

I want to build a low table just under one of my windows. The window
is the sunniest one in the house. I'm concerned about the sun fading
the wood... and Colorado sun is merciless.

What about something like cherry? Sunlight darkens cherry rather than
making it lighter. If it's a coffee table type thing, some sort of
varnish would probably be a good finish. You'd want something alcohol
resistant anyway.
Dave jackson

If you have newer windows, the sun may not be a big a problem as you think.
Many windows have a LoE coating which, simply put, is a coating of silver
which filters out much of the uv rays. More recently, some windows are even
coated with 2 layers of silver (LoE2) which blocks almost all the uv rays.
Check the glass and see if it is marked anywhere in little letters, or maybe
the manufacturer could tell you more. -dave

"Never Enough Money" wrote in message
om...
I want to build a low table just under one of my windows. The window
is the sunniest one in the house. I'm concerned about the sun fading
the wood... and Colorado sun is merciless.

What would be a good choice of wood and finish for this? I might even
put some UV protective glass on the top.

I happen to have some hard maple, lyptus, and zerba wood already in my
shop, not that I would not go out and buy something else....like
walnut....

What say y'all?

Never Enough Money

Phisherman, you are soooo correct but I can't bring myself to covering
up beautiful wood grain. Although I could only paint the top.

Some other ideas are emerging. In Colorado we have a rock called
flagstone. It's very flat and you can get it in inch thick very flat
pieces. The rock "stores" will cut it for you.

Another idea is tile. I have some left over from a room I finished in
my basement. I would have some wood trim to hold it but it would
minimize the amount of wood exposed to sun.

As I noted above, I have UV filters in my windows so it's not as great
a worry as I originally thought.

Thanks for the reply.

Phisherman wrote in message . ..
On 31 Oct 2004 09:39:25 -0800, (Never Enough
Money) wrote:

I want to build a low table just under one of my windows. The window
is the sunniest one in the house. I'm concerned about the sun fading
the wood... and Colorado sun is merciless.

What would be a good choice of wood and finish for this? I might even
put some UV protective glass on the top.

I happen to have some hard maple, lyptus, and zerba wood already in my
shop, not that I would not go out and buy something else....like
walnut....

What say y'all?

Paint is excellent UV protection. I'd build the stand out of pine or
poplar and save the expensive woods for other furniture.