DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   shellac application (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/74485-shellac-application.html)

brandt October 25th 04 12:02 AM

shellac application

How many coats of shellac (white shellac) do I need to apply to get
good vapour blocking from MDF underneath?

Do I sand between coats?

Thanks for the help.

Brandt

David October 25th 04 01:31 AM

Depends on how thick you are applying it and how much you've thinned the
shellac with alcohol. You don't need to sand except for appearances
sake. Shellac will stick to itself quite well, regardless of how glossy
it gets.

David

patriarch October 25th 04 06:48 AM

(brandt) wrote in
m:

How many coats of shellac (white shellac) do I need to apply to get
good vapour blocking from MDF underneath?

Do I sand between coats?

Thanks for the help.

Brandt

white shellac is used as a primer under one or more paint coats, right?
Zinsser BIN product in the US.

Two good coats should suffice. Sand only if you need to level under the
topcoat.

Now if we're discussing something else...

Patriarch

Rolling Thunder October 25th 04 01:33 PM

On 24 Oct 2004 16:02:31 -0700, (brandt) wrote:

How many coats of shellac (white shellac) do I need to apply to get
good vapour blocking from MDF underneath?

Do I sand between coats?

Thanks for the help.

Brandt

I've been using two coats of 2lb shellac on my projects. MDF
shouldn't make a difference.