DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Pecan Cracker Plans? (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/74001-pecan-cracker-plans.html)

Mark Hopkins October 21st 04 03:34 AM

Pecan Cracker Plans?

Has anyone seen a good DIY plan for a pecan cracker? After doing battle
with the squirrels I have a couple of buckets full and need a cracker of
some kind. Manual model or something more exotic with electric motor?

What have you seen out there that might work?

Google only like the nutcracker plays and such....

U-CDK_CHARLES\\Charles October 21st 04 04:38 PM

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 21:34:19 -0400, Mark Hopkins
wrote:
Has anyone seen a good DIY plan for a pecan cracker? After doing battle
with the squirrels I have a couple of buckets full and need a cracker of
some kind. Manual model or something more exotic with electric motor?

What have you seen out there that might work?

Google only like the nutcracker plays and such....

Alton Brown used an Adjustable-brand (Jorgy's parent) C-clamp from the
hardware store on his fruitcake episode of Good Eats. A four incher,
iirc.

Bryan Berguson October 21st 04 08:13 PM

"Mark Hopkins" wrote in message
. ..
Has anyone seen a good DIY plan for a pecan cracker? After doing battle
with the squirrels I have a couple of buckets full and need a cracker of
some kind. Manual model or something more exotic with electric motor?

What have you seen out there that might work?

Google only like the nutcracker plays and such....

Mark,

The best nut cracker I've ever used are channel lock pliers. They work
great for hickory nuts and I suspect they would work on the pecans too.
Setting the depth of closure is the key.

Bryan

dave in Fairfax October 21st 04 08:21 PM

Rob Walters wrote:
Is it bad form to watch a cooking show to see what culinary uses AB will
find for tools? The Dewalt powered pepper mill was cool...although I think
he has wisely refrained from recreating the router-powered cake mixer :)

I especially liked the 36" Northfield cake layer maker.
Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work

Dick Durbin October 22nd 04 01:05 AM

"Mark Hopkins" wrote in message ...
Has anyone seen a good DIY plan for a pecan cracker?

Pecan cracker? PECAN cracker??? We don't need no steenkin' pecan
cracker. We Florida crackers just squeeze one pecan (pronounced pee'
kan) against the other. This is our favorite method when we ride our
bicycles up to Climax (just imagine the jokes, folks) Georgia and take
a rest under the pecan trees by the gazebo.

Dick Durbin
Take note, Steve Knight; the traffic is light and we don't get hit.

G.E.R.R.Y. October 22nd 04 03:00 AM

In article , Dick
Durbin wrote:

We Florida crackers just squeeze one pecan (pronounced pee'
kan) against the other.

Thanks for your joking around. I opened up this thread thinking I was
going to get some good Southern humour and was disappointed to find
that the thread was actually ON TOPIC.

Gerry

WoodMangler October 22nd 04 03:11 AM

G.E.R.R.Y. did say:

In article , Dick
Durbin wrote:

We Florida crackers just squeeze one pecan (pronounced pee'
kan) against the other.

Thanks for your joking around. I opened up this thread thinking I was
going to get some good Southern humour and was disappointed to find
that the thread was actually ON TOPIC.

Gerry

Kidding? All factual. I live a little south of Climax in Havana
(pronounced Hay' vana). It's all true. I usually ride out of Calvary and
steal my pecans there though...

Russ

--
New project = new tool. Hard and fast rule.

Mark Hopkins October 22nd 04 04:29 AM

That's why you folks in Florida HAVE to come to Georgia. Its because we make
the best pecan logs, pies, etc anywhere. It takes you guys too long to crack
them.

Joking aside... I have a few trees that are loaded down this year and have
so far gathered 2 5 gallon buckets full in the past couple of days. I am
sure there are a couple more out there by now. I was looking for a nice
solution to cracking one at a time and thought there might be a really cool
plan out there somewhere.

I really love pecan pies too!

om...

Rob Walters October 22nd 04 02:57 PM

"Dick Durbin" wrote in message
om...

Pecan cracker? PECAN cracker??? We don't need no steenkin' pecan
cracker. We Florida crackers just squeeze one pecan (pronounced pee'
kan) against the other. This is our favorite method when we ride our
bicycles up to Climax (just imagine the jokes, folks) Georgia and take
a rest under the pecan trees by the gazebo.

Dick Durbin
Take note, Steve Knight; the traffic is light and we don't get hit.

Someone explain to me why Climax, GA is so far away from Cumming, GA? :)

Rob - who is a "damn yankee" and scratches his head everytime he looks at a
map of Georgia.

[email protected] October 22nd 04 04:54 PM

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 08:57:03 -0400, "Rob Walters"
wrote:

"Dick Durbin" wrote in message
. com...

Pecan cracker? PECAN cracker??? We don't need no steenkin' pecan
cracker. We Florida crackers just squeeze one pecan (pronounced pee'
kan) against the other. This is our favorite method when we ride our
bicycles up to Climax (just imagine the jokes, folks) Georgia and take
a rest under the pecan trees by the gazebo.

Dick Durbin
Take note, Steve Knight; the traffic is light and we don't get hit.

Someone explain to me why Climax, GA is so far away from Cumming, GA? :)

A comment on Southern men as lovers? :-)

--RC (whose family has lived outside Atlanta since before the Civil
War and whose great-great-great grandparents were the victims of one
of the great unsolved axe murders in Georgia history.)

Rob - who is a "damn yankee" and scratches his head everytime he looks at a
map of Georgia.

If I weren't interested in gardening and Ireland,
I'd automatically killfile any messages mentioning
'bush' or 'Kerry'

J T October 23rd 04 04:33 AM

Thu, Oct 21, 2004, 4:05pm (EDT-3) (Dick=A0Durbin) says:
Pecan cracker? PECAN cracker??? We don't need no steenkin' pecan
cracker. We Florida crackers just squeeze one pecan (pronounced pee'
kan) against the other. snip

Hmm, I guess some culture is finally catching on down there.
That's exactly how I do it too, up north, in NC. On the other hand, I
do note you leave the state before you do it, and even then steal the
pecans.

JOAT
Eagles can soar ... but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

J T October 23rd 04 04:46 AM

Thu, Oct 21, 2004, 10:29pm
(Mark=A0Hopkins) says:
snip I was looking for a nice solution to cracking one at a time and
thought there might be a really cool plan out there somewhere. snip

Actually, there is. I've seen some. But, I'm not interested in
any, so didn't look. But, wouldn't be real hard to make something like
this.
http://www.rubylane.com/shops/dryheat/item/DH-470

If you take the time to look, I'm sure you could find some plans.
Even free.

/.. October 29th 04 06:07 AM

By Fri, 22 Oct 2004 08:57:03 -0400, "Rob Walters"
decided to post
" Pecan Cracker Plans?" to rec.woodworking:

"Dick Durbin" wrote in message
. com...

Pecan cracker? PECAN cracker??? We don't need no steenkin' pecan
cracker. We Florida crackers just squeeze one pecan (pronounced pee'
kan) against the other. This is our favorite method when we ride our
bicycles up to Climax (just imagine the jokes, folks) Georgia and take
a rest under the pecan trees by the gazebo.

Dick Durbin
Take note, Steve Knight; the traffic is light and we don't get hit.

Someone explain to me why Climax, GA is so far away from Cumming, GA? :)

Rob - who is a "damn yankee" and scratches his head everytime he looks at a
map of Georgia.

Is it cause it ain't the arrival that's important, it's the journey?

Now if you was in Rockyface, Ga. you'd mighta understood that already.

Let me ask ya, know why mosquitos was created?

It was to keep them damn yankees out'n the South. An' failin' that, it's a
fine source of amusement on humid evenin's, ya see.

HTH,

/ts

--

find / -iname "*gw*" -exec rm -rf {} \;

In heaven, there is no beer,
That's why we drink it here,
And when we're all gone from here,
Our friends will be drinking all the beer!
-- Famous old Czech song about beer --

Dick Durbin October 29th 04 01:07 PM

(J T) wrote in message ...
Hmm, I guess some culture is finally catching on down there.
That's exactly how I do it too, up north, in NC. On the other hand, I
do note you leave the state before you do it, and even then steal the
pecans.

Naw, man. Them's public domain pecans.

Now, this Sunday morning we are doing our Tour of the Middle East. We
are riding our bikes from Calvary, GA to Cairo (pronounced KAY' roh),
GA. With any luck, we'll come upon some free range pecans.

Dick Durbin

KEN ...... N EAST N.C November 15th 14 02:44 AM

Pecan Cracker Plans?

replying to Mark Hopkins, KEN ...... N EAST N.C wrote:
salestermite wrote:

That's why you folks in Florida HAVE to come to Georgia. Its because we

make
the best pecan logs, pies, etc anywhere. It takes you guys too long to

crack
them.
Joking aside... I have a few trees that are loaded down this year and have
so far gathered 2 5 gallon buckets full in the past couple of days. I am
sure there are a couple more out there by now. I was looking for a nice
solution to cracking one at a time and thought there might be a really cool
plan out there somewhere.
I really love pecan pies too!
"Dick Durbin" wrote in message
om...

SO FAR THIS YEAR I HAVE PICKED UP 8 BUSHELS OF PECANS FROM 4
TREES AND IT LOOKS LIKE I AM GOING TO HAVE 8 MORE BY THE END .

G. Ross November 15th 14 05:34 AM

Pecan Cracker Plans?

"Dick wrote in message
om...

SO FAR THIS YEAR I HAVE PICKED UP 8 BUSHELS OF PECANS FROM 4
TREES AND IT LOOKS LIKE I AM GOING TO HAVE 8 MORE BY THE END .

No woodworking content here, other than pecan wood is the devil to
turn. I have a powered pecan cracker I would love to sell. It sits
under a shed in the wind and I am tired of standing out in the cold
running it.

--
 GW Ross

 If a really stupid person becomes