Andy Dingley

Default Buffalo horn

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 21:15:14 +0100, Andy Dingley
wrote:

Anyone use buffalo horn ?

More weirdness with the buffalo horn.

Sawed just a couple of square inches of the stuff on the bandsaw.
Then sawed some timber. Opened the bandsaw's lower door it was full
of sawdust - clearly the dust extract wasn't working any more.

Some cleaning and I found the problem - a "dust buffalo" of white
fibrous swarf, big and tough enough to block a 4" dust collector hose!

It's the weirdest stuff - it's like the stuff that comes out of
chainsaw boots if you accidentally cut into them - deliberately
fibrous and capable of blocking a saw.
--
Smert' spamionam
ddinc

Good thing you asked. A friend has asked me to make a bow using
Buffulo horn. He thought it was from a buffulo.
Is it a kind of wood?

wrote:

Anyone use buffalo horn ?

More weirdness with the buffalo horn.

Sawed just a couple of square inches of the stuff on the bandsaw.
Then sawed some timber. Opened the bandsaw's lower door it was full
of sawdust - clearly the dust extract wasn't working any more.

Some cleaning and I found the problem - a "dust buffalo" of white
fibrous swarf, big and tough enough to block a 4" dust collector hose!

It's the weirdest stuff - it's like the stuff that comes out of
chainsaw boots if you accidentally cut into them - deliberately
fibrous and capable of blocking a saw.
--
Smert' spamionam

Chas

"ddinc" wrote
Good thing you asked. A friend has asked me to make a bow using
Buffulo horn. He thought it was from a buffulo.
Is it a kind of wood?

It's generally from an Asian water buffalo; a carabao.
'Buffalo Horn' is from an American Bison, and is expensive and hard to get.
Carabao horn can be a couple of feet long- you can take plates and strips
from it that are quite large.
Bison horn is much shorter, very curved, smaller solid areas.

Chas

Robert Galloway

Buffalo horn comes from the buffalo. It cuts more like a plastic than a
wood. It's pure protein. Most closely related to your fingernails in
terms of everyday experience (or your hair).

bob g.

wrote:

Anyone use buffalo horn ?

More weirdness with the buffalo horn.

Sawed just a couple of square inches of the stuff on the bandsaw.
Then sawed some timber. Opened the bandsaw's lower door it was full
of sawdust - clearly the dust extract wasn't working any more.

Some cleaning and I found the problem - a "dust buffalo" of white
fibrous swarf, big and tough enough to block a 4" dust collector hose!

It's the weirdest stuff - it's like the stuff that comes out of
chainsaw boots if you accidentally cut into them - deliberately
fibrous and capable of blocking a saw.
--
Smert' spamionam

Andy Dingley

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 19:24:31 -0400, "ddinc" wrote:

Good thing you asked. A friend has asked me to make a bow using
Buffulo horn.

_Really_ advanced bowmaking, if you do it right - it's a laminated
bow.

He thought it was from a buffulo.

AFAIK, this is from European water buffalo, kept for milk production
to make mozarella cheese. I think these are local Somerset buffalo (I
eat their cheese), many are Italian.

You could use Gruffalo horn instead - although Gruffalo are harder to
catch.

Andy Dingley

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 23:31:44 -0400, "zuldare"
wrote:

So where do you buy any buffalo horn for knife handles, bow, or
guitar picks???

I don't know where you are, so it's hard to make recommendations. Mine
came from a bowyer and fletcher at a medieval re-enactment event ("ren
faire" in the USA). I believe that bow tips and arrow nocks use it,
as it's harder than wood.

Pretty cheap to buy - a buffalo horn is about half the price of a
hollow cow horn.

--
Smert' spamionam
Joe Gorman

zuldare wrote:
So where do you buy any buffalo horn for knife handles, bow, or
guitar picks???

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 19:24:31 -0400, "ddinc" wrote:

Good thing you asked. A friend has asked me to make a bow using
Buffulo horn.

_Really_ advanced bowmaking, if you do it right - it's a laminated
bow.

He thought it was from a buffulo.

AFAIK, this is from European water buffalo, kept for milk production
to make mozarella cheese. I think these are local Somerset buffalo (I
eat their cheese), many are Italian.

You could use Gruffalo horn instead - although Gruffalo are harder to
catch.

http://www.hideandfur.com/inventory/2208.html
Joe
Greyangel

Anybody have experience with buying leather from those folks? Looks like
some fairly reasonable prices. Hard to know what your getting without
looking/feeling/smelling it but...

GA

"Joe Gorman" wrote in message
http://www.hideandfur.com/inventory/2208.html
Joe

J. Del Col

Andy Dingley wrote in message . ..
On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 19:24:31 -0400, "ddinc" wrote:

Good thing you asked. A friend has asked me to make a bow using
Buffulo horn.

_Really_ advanced bowmaking, if you do it right - it's a laminated
bow.

He thought it was from a buffulo.

AFAIK, this is from European water buffalo, kept for milk production
to make mozarella cheese. I think these are local Somerset buffalo (I
eat their cheese), many are Italian.

The buffalo are Italian? Do they moo with a Neapolitan accent?

J. Del Col