DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   finishing and aging cherry (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/73950-finishing-aging-cherry.html)

Dennis Arenson October 20th 04 08:29 PM

finishing and aging cherry

I'm making a small box using cherry and have two questions.
1. If I finish with Danish Oil and them dont like it can I spray on a
lacquer finish after several days.

2. Will either or both finishes interfere with the natural aging
(darkening ) of the cherry. This is my first experience working with
cherry.

Dave Hinz October 20th 04 08:33 PM

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 15:29:36 -0400, Dennis Arenson wrote:
I'm making a small box using cherry and have two questions.

2. Will either or both finishes interfere with the natural aging
(darkening ) of the cherry. This is my first experience working with
cherry.

The oil most definately will not delay the natural darkening. I prefer
a wax (watco) over the oil finish, maybe you'd consider trying that on
a sample piece? It really brings out the grain, and for a box it's not
like you need to be particularly tough of a finish. Worth trying to see
if you like it.

Dave Hinz

MikeG October 20th 04 09:52 PM

In article ,
says...
I'm making a small box using cherry and have two questions.
1. If I finish with Danish Oil and them dont like it can I spray on a
lacquer finish after several days.

2. Will either or both finishes interfere with the natural aging
(darkening ) of the cherry. This is my first experience working with
cherry.

yes, no
--
MikeG
Heirloom Woods

Dennis Arenson October 21st 04 04:25 PM

wrote:

I'm making a small box using cherry and have two questions.
1. If I finish with Danish Oil and them dont like it can I spray on a
lacquer finish after several days.

2. Will either or both finishes interfere with the natural aging
(darkening ) of the cherry. This is my first experience working with
cherry.

Thanks guys. The box if proceeding nicely with your advice.
Dennis