DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Resawing Capacity (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/73378-resawing-capacity.html)

Ron Robinson October 15th 04 11:41 PM

Resawing Capacity

I've been reading the archives searching for information on resawing
as I've never owned, but am about to buy, a bandsaw. I am interested
in the group's opinion of buying a bandsaw with resaw capacity greater
than the width of my jointer. (6") If the board I am resawing is
wider than my 6" jointer, can I use a slave board on my planer and
make a face good enough to put against my resaw fence? Any and all
opinions appreciated.

Ron

Nate Perkins October 16th 04 06:05 AM

(Ron Robinson) wrote in message om...
I've been reading the archives searching for information on resawing
as I've never owned, but am about to buy, a bandsaw. I am interested
in the group's opinion of buying a bandsaw with resaw capacity greater
than the width of my jointer. (6") If the board I am resawing is
wider than my 6" jointer, can I use a slave board on my planer and
make a face good enough to put against my resaw fence? Any and all
opinions appreciated.

Ron

It sounds like your question is how to joint a board more than 6"
wide.

Some people do have methods for using a sled and shims to use the
planer sort of like a jointer. I have never had much success with
this method myself. I usually either rip the board to multiple 6"
widths, joint them, and edge glue. If I don't want to leave a visible
seam then I'll joint the board by hand using a handplane, and then
send it through the planer.

My 14" bandsaw has a riser kit but I don't often resaw past 6". The
jobs I do most on my bandsaw are ripping rough lumber, sawing curves,
and resawing veneer for marquetry.

Hope that helps.

Prometheus October 16th 04 06:12 AM

On 15 Oct 2004 15:41:55 -0700, (Ron Robinson) wrote:

I've been reading the archives searching for information on resawing
as I've never owned, but am about to buy, a bandsaw. I am interested
in the group's opinion of buying a bandsaw with resaw capacity greater
than the width of my jointer. (6") If the board I am resawing is
wider than my 6" jointer, can I use a slave board on my planer and
make a face good enough to put against my resaw fence? Any and all
opinions appreciated.

Hand plane. It's good exercise, and a lot less noisy! Otherwise- a
bandsaw doesn't kick back like a table saw; I've resawed rough stock
that was flat and close to parallel with no problems.

Ron