Sanford

Default Record Hand Planes

I have been away from woodworking for a couple of years (not by
choice).
I used to buy my Record hand planes from Garrett-Wade but they don't
have them. Is the company out of business?

I bought one of their low angle block planes for about $35 around 2000
now the cheapest I can find is $99 from Lee Valley.

Have prices really gone up that much on hand planes?

San Edwards

now in St. George, UT
bugbear

Sanford wrote:
I have been away from woodworking for a couple of years (not by
choice).
I used to buy my Record hand planes from Garrett-Wade but they don't
have them. Is the company out of business?

I bought one of their low angle block planes for about $35 around 2000
now the cheapest I can find is $99 from Lee Valley.

Have prices really gone up that much on hand planes?

There's a big split in the market now.

The "normal" plane makers are pretty much dying.

Planes are now either cheap "use once" handyman grade,
or premium (drool) grade. There are very few buyers in the middle.

The $99 block plane from Lee Valley is a dramatically better
tool than anything record have made in the last 40 years.

(they once made a #18 which was very, very good, hence the 40 year
qualification)

BugBear
AAvK

I have been away from woodworking for a couple of years (not by
choice).
I used to buy my Record hand planes from Garrett-Wade but they don't
have them. Is the company out of business?
I bought one of their low angle block planes for about $35 around 2000
now the cheapest I can find is $99 from Lee Valley.
Have prices really gone up that much on hand planes?
San Edwards
now in St. George, UT

The Irwin conglomerate has now made some drastic business changes, and has
destroyed both the Record company and the industrial Marples company. the Jos.
Marples company still is there, as private. Irwin continues to make the Blue Chip
chisels in the Irwin name, who knows if they've changed that good steel to some-
thing cheaper. But, new Record anything is no longer being made. There is one
business in Germany that still has NOS Record planes for sale, no doubt at marked
up prices http://www.dick.biz/ . I saw ?79.xx for the 60 1/2.

Irwin is actually in the Rubbermaid conglomerate. Vise Grip is now under Irwin
as well, very sad ****. http://www.irwin.com/ they also destroyed the Nooitgedagt
tool company in Holland! http://www.nooitgedagt.nl/ click that and see it all. I'm
sure they had a fine point on that one! Luckily I got out of eBay with two new
wooden shoulder planes made by them. Super cheap too.

From now on, when I need a new plastic item for household use I will go to the
..99? Vietnamese super store. The plastic is just as bad as Rubbermaid's anyway.

Alex

Sanford

Yes, I see. Well now that I am retired I can't afford the drool kind
so I'll make do with what I have. I wish I had bought a few more of
Steve Knights planes before his prices went up.

Never did like Rubber Maid anyway.

San

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 08:55:51 -0700, "AAvK" wrote:

[...]

From now on, when I need a new plastic item for household use I will go to the
.99? Vietnamese super store. The plastic is just as bad as Rubbermaid's anyway.

Alex

DIYGUY

Go to EBay for your needs. You can pick up used "user grade" planes
that are often better than the new stuff today. If you are willing to
do some work you can get exactly what you want. And usually for a lot
less than the new stuff on the market now that designers have discovered
hand tools ...

Sanford wrote:

I have been away from woodworking for a couple of years (not by
choice).
I used to buy my Record hand planes from Garrett-Wade but they don't
have them. Is the company out of business?

I bought one of their low angle block planes for about $35 around 2000
now the cheapest I can find is $99 from Lee Valley.

Have prices really gone up that much on hand planes?

San Edwards

now in St. George, UT

Steve Knight

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 10:51:59 -0600, Sanford wrote:

Yes, I see. Well now that I am retired I can't afford the drool kind
so I'll make do with what I have. I wish I had bought a few more of
Steve Knights planes before his prices went up.

hey they never went up that much (G) but you can always ask for a deal.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Larry Jaques

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 01:17:31 GMT, Steve Knight
calmly ranted:

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 10:51:59 -0600, Sanford wrote:

Yes, I see. Well now that I am retired I can't afford the drool kind
so I'll make do with what I have. I wish I had bought a few more of
Steve Knights planes before his prices went up.

hey they never went up that much (G) but you can always ask for a deal.

May I have one of each for $10?

Oh, wait, I already HAVE one of each.

A PSYCHOLOGIST looks at everyone -else- || http://www.diversify.com
when an attractive woman enters the room. || Full Website Programming

Prometheus

wrote:

Yes, I see. Well now that I am retired I can't afford the drool kind
so I'll make do with what I have. I wish I had bought a few more of
Steve Knights planes before his prices went up.

You could still check antique stores and e-bay... or other people's
shops, for that matter. I got a fairly nice Bailey smooth plane from
my dad's basement for nothing because he had absolutely no use for it,
and no idea how to use it even if he had. Took me a while to get it
back into working shape, but it shaves fine enough to read newsprint
through now (after a little help from some more experienced
woodworkers, that is) I've also seen quite a few old Stanleys for $25
and under at thrift sales and junk stores. It's kind of a lost art,
so people don't know what they have anymore.

[...]

From now on, when I need a new plastic item for household use I will go to the
.99? Vietnamese super store. The plastic is just as bad as Rubbermaid's anyway.

Alex

AAvK

Yes, I see. Well now that I am retired I can't afford the drool kind
so I'll make do with what I have. I wish I had bought a few more of
Steve Knights planes before his prices went up.
Never did like Rubber Maid anyway.

Here's a Record 60 1/2 you can bid on, in fine shape:
Alex