DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   MDF sealer? (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/73164-mdf-sealer.html)

AAvK October 14th 04 06:45 AM

MDF sealer?

Anyone know of the best clear sealer for particle board?

I have finished cutting all the peices for a drill press table kit
I got from Woodsmith store. The main table top peice being
3/4" plywood. This MDF is sealed in a thin white formica
coating but the edges (end-flats), I suspect, can become flaky
over time of use, wouldn't want it to even start. The MDF
was free from my adult ed. class luckily. Any suggestions?

Alex

Tom October 14th 04 07:44 AM

Alex wroteAnyone know of the best clear sealer for particle board?

I have finished cutting all the peices for a drill press table kit
I got from Woodsmith store. The main table top peice being
3/4" plywood. This MDF is sealed in a thin white formica
coating but the edges (end-flats), I suspect, can become flaky
over time of use, wouldn't want it to even start. The MDF
was free from my adult ed. class luckily. Any suggestions?

Alex

Shellac it. Or poly. Or drywall compound and paint. Tom
Work at your leisure!

AAvK October 14th 04 01:57 PM

Shellac it. Or poly. Or drywall compound and paint.

I have a new can of Minwax Spar varnish, do you think that would work?
Alex

WoodChuck34 October 14th 04 02:51 PM

"AAvK" wrote in message news:Nnobd.2183$bk1.1155@fed1read05...
Anyone know of the best clear sealer for particle board?

I have finished cutting all the peices for a drill press table kit
I got from Woodsmith store. The main table top peice being
3/4" plywood. This MDF is sealed in a thin white formica
coating but the edges (end-flats), I suspect, can become flaky
over time of use, wouldn't want it to even start. The MDF
was free from my adult ed. class luckily. Any suggestions?

Alex

I've also cut glue with water and it seems to work very well. Not
clear though, sort of a milk water color.

Chuck

Tom October 14th 04 04:21 PM

Alex wrote:
I have a new can of Minwax Spar varnish, do you think that would work?

Sure, why not? The glue sizing idea seems economical, too. Tom
Work at your leisure!

Bill Stock October 14th 04 04:29 PM

"AAvK" wrote in message

Shellac it. Or poly. Or drywall compound and paint.

I have a new can of Minwax Spar varnish, do you think that would work?
Alex

I used a couple of coats of that on my aquarium stand to seal the exposed PB
(back) and it seems OK. But it's only been a couple of months. I don't
imagine this stuff can be painted over too well though, Shellac is probably
a better choice if you want to paint it after.

AAvK October 14th 04 04:45 PM

I used a couple of coats of that on my aquarium stand to seal the exposed PB
(back) and it seems OK. But it's only been a couple of months. I don't
imagine this stuff can be painted over too well though, Shellac is probably
a better choice if you want to paint it after.

No, no need to paint it. As with thinning glue for that, why not thin
the spar so it soaks in further...?

I tried coating a saw handle with it, it's like really "plasticky" stuff. It
has to be sanded between coats and no good, just comes right off. But
this may work with thinning.

Alex

AAvK October 14th 04 04:48 PM

No, no need to paint it. As with thinning glue for that, why not thin
the spar so it soaks in further...?
I tried coating a saw handle with it, it's like really "plasticky" stuff. It
has to be sanded between coats and no good, just comes right off. But
this may work with thinning.

But I would need to know how much to thin it. I suppose if it is too thin
it will harden too much to go any further, and block out further "soakage".

Alex

Ba r r y October 15th 04 12:12 PM

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 22:45:22 -0700, "AAvK" wrote:

Anyone know of the best clear sealer for particle board?

Shellac works great. If you're going to recoat with something else,
use dewaxed, like Seal Coat.

Barry

Rolling Thunder October 15th 04 01:58 PM

Shellac is a good sealer for painting but it doesn't protect against
water. If for indoors furniture, shellac is OK but will not protect
against water.

Thunder

AAvK October 15th 04 02:06 PM

Shellac is a good sealer for painting but it doesn't protect against
water. If for indoors furniture, shellac is OK but will not protect
against water.

Thanks Thunder, I'll try the thinned spar urethane idea, so it soaks in. I just don't know
how much to thin it so that it remains effective.
Alex