Tracer

Default Best finish for Dining table???

I have refinished a Maple dining table, and would like input for what
is the best clear finish to put on this. I dont want to stain, as I
love the color it is.
I would like something that will obviously resist scratches, since
this will be only for eating at.
Thanks!
Dave W

I made a cherry dining room table 20 yrs ago. It has been in daily use ever
since and the four coats of urethane have never been renewed. I love
varnish but urethane stands up better to the inevitable knocks.
Dave
"Tracer" wrote in message
om...
I have refinished a Maple dining table, and would like input for what
is the best clear finish to put on this. I dont want to stain, as I
love the color it is.
I would like something that will obviously resist scratches, since
this will be only for eating at.
Thanks!

Bruce Hooke

My dining room table is finished with "Behlen's Rock Hard Table Top Varnish"
and it has held up very well. I made the table about 8 years ago. This web
page talks about this finish:
http://antiquerestorers.com/Articles/SAL/tablevar.htm . I have no idea how
reliable this web site is -- I just found it by googling on "Rock Hard Table
Top Varnish," but what it says fits with my experience. I did rub out my
finish. Rock Hard Table Top Varnish is available from the usual suspects
(Woodcraft, Highland Hardware, etc.).

If you do not want an amber finish (almost all traditional varnishes will be
amber colored) then you might want to look into some of the new water-based
finishes as well as lacquer, but those are outside my realm of experience so
I can't offer any advice in that area.

- Bruce

"Tracer" wrote in message
om...
I have refinished a Maple dining table, and would like input for what
is the best clear finish to put on this. I dont want to stain, as I
love the color it is.
I would like something that will obviously resist scratches, since
this will be only for eating at.
Thanks!

I've used oil & waterbased Varathane as well as waterbased lacquer and
wouldn't cosider swithching back to oil. Fast drying without odors
and a snap to clen-up afterwards.

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 14:56:43 GMT, "Bruce Hooke"
wrote:

If you do not want an amber finish (almost all traditional varnishes will be
amber colored) then you might want to look into some of the new water-based
finishes as well as lacquer, but those are outside my realm of experience so
I can't offer any advice in that area.

Graham Walters

Could someone please explain the purpose of applying a wax over a
polyurethane finish. Also what type of wax?

Graham

Polyurethane is about the toughest. After the last coat resist the
temptation to put the table into use--wait a month or two for the poly
to fully harden then apply a wax.

ddinc

I have a teak table, and kids. The polyurethane finish is the way to go.
It was finished when the first was born, and its hanging in after 9 yrs.

It is the main table in the house

"Tracer" wrote in message
om...
I have refinished a Maple dining table, and would like input for what
is the best clear finish to put on this. I dont want to stain, as I
love the color it is.
I would like something that will obviously resist scratches, since
this will be only for eating at.
Thanks!

Prometheus

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 00:38:58 +0100, "Graham Walters"
wrote:

Could someone please explain the purpose of applying a wax over a
polyurethane finish. Also what type of wax?

Paste wax. You put it on, let it dry a bit, and then buff it, and it
looks really nice (very high gloss) Might be a little redundant with
poly, but I've never tried the two together.