DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Cherry - Finishing, Staining Suggestions (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/72872-cherry-finishing-staining-suggestions.html)

Rumpty October 12th 04 02:19 AM

Cherry - Finishing, Staining Suggestions

Anyone care to share your finishing suggestions for Cherry? Natural/light
and dark/stained finishing techniques?

--

Rumpty

Larry Jaques October 12th 04 05:30 AM

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 21:19:51 -0400, "Rumpty"
calmly ranted:

Anyone care to share your finishing suggestions for Cherry? Natural/light
and dark/stained finishing techniques?

Waterlox Original, satin, 4 rubbed coats. Degloss with Liberon
0000 steel wool and Johnson's wax as needed.

Thou shalt not stain cherry, Rumpty. You know that, you heathen
bastid. ; If you want it darker, expose it to a wee bit of
sunlight or a UV lamp.

--------------------------------------
PESSIMIST: An optimist with experience
www.diversify.com - Web Database Development

Mike Marlow October 12th 04 11:34 AM

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 21:19:51 -0400, "Rumpty"
calmly ranted:

Anyone care to share your finishing suggestions for Cherry? Natural/light
and dark/stained finishing techniques?

Waterlox Original, satin, 4 rubbed coats. Degloss with Liberon
0000 steel wool and Johnson's wax as needed.

Thou shalt not stain cherry, Rumpty. You know that, you heathen
bastid. ; If you want it darker, expose it to a wee bit of
sunlight or a UV lamp.

Sherwin Williams. Roll or brush on depending on the texture desired.
--

-Mike-

Ba r r y October 12th 04 11:47 AM

wrote:

Anyone care to share your finishing suggestions for Cherry? Natural/light
and dark/stained finishing techniques?

For lighter finishes, I prefer spraying tinted lacquer or shellac
toner coats to avoid blotching. To bring individual boards closer
together, I'll use light colored Solar Lux dyes as the first step. A
dewaxed shellac barrier coat goes on after the dye, over the whole
piece.

For darker finishes, I'll Solar Lux the whole thing with a yellow or
pink dye, depending on the original wood color, barrier coat it, and
add a Behlen's (or Mohawk) wiping pigment stain, which is again
followed by a barrier. These steps should leave the wood lighter than
desired. The final color is arrived at with toners.

Practice with samples to get the dye / pigment combos that work for
you. It's weird dyeing a piece pink or yellow, but it works out well
in the end.

Stay away from medium and dark colored dyes at the beginning to avoid
blotching.

Barry

Phisherman October 12th 04 12:30 PM

I like Danish oil.

Rumpty October 12th 04 12:54 PM

Thou shalt not stain cherry, Rumpty. You know that, you heathen
bastid. ; If you want it darker, expose it to a wee bit of
sunlight or a UV lamp.

Are you calling my customers bastid's? If MY bastid customer wants a dark
stained cherry, that's what they get! Next time you can't pay the mortgage,
tell your mortgage company, I DON'T STAIN CHERRY!

LOL, thanks! VBG!

--

Rumpty

Larry Jaques October 12th 04 02:53 PM

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 07:54:09 -0400, "Rumpty"
calmly ranted:

Thou shalt not stain cherry, Rumpty. You know that, you heathen

bastid. ; If you want it darker, expose it to a wee bit of
sunlight or a UV lamp.

Are you calling my customers bastid's? If MY bastid customer wants a dark
stained cherry, that's what they get! Next time you can't pay the mortgage,
tell your mortgage company, I DON'T STAIN CHERRY!

LOL, thanks! VBG!

If you need mortgage money (mine's paid off), run a class
enlightening the heather bastids about darkening cherry
-without- condemning themselves to an eternity in Hell.
$100 a head should cover their "insurance".
Can I get an "Amen"?

--------------------------------------

jim ryan October 12th 04 08:56 PM

I like Danish oil.

wrote:

Anyone care to share your finishing suggestions for Cherry? Natural/light
and dark/stained finishing techniques?

I was gonna use Tung Oil on a project I'm doing now. Bad choice?
Where does one get WaterLox?

-Jim

Walt Novinger October 13th 04 01:09 AM

Rumpty wrote:

Anyone care to share your finishing suggestions for Cherry? Natural/light
and dark/stained finishing techniques?

--

Rumpty

I generally let the piece stand in the direct sun for several days (rotating
frequently) to develop a nice, deep color. My usual finish is then Deft
satin lacquer, sprayed on. I put several coats on, sanding all but the last
with a green ScotchBrite pad. I like the feel of this product, and it seems
to protect the wood quite well.

Walt

Larry Jaques October 13th 04 01:37 AM

On 12 Oct 2004 12:56:44 -0700, (jim ryan) calmly
ranted:

wrote:

Anyone care to share your finishing suggestions for Cherry? Natural/light
and dark/stained finishing techniques?

I was gonna use Tung Oil on a project I'm doing now. Bad choice?
Where does one get WaterLox?

I got mine at Hine. Oops, no, that's an old LoCal ad.

www.waterlox.com is the mfgr, but I got mine from Russ at
www.woodfinishingsupplies.com both times I ordered it. Click
on Oil & Varnish, then page down a bit.

I'm going to get a gallon of medium sheen and a pouring lid
next time, then decant into smaller quart cans.

David October 14th 04 04:09 AM

How does spraying Deft, primarily designed to be applied by brushing,
due to it's formulation, work for you? Any reason you don't use a
traditional nitro lacquer in lieu of Deft?

David