DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   MHG Chisels & Hartville Tool (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/72076-mhg-chisels-hartville-tool.html)

Never Enough Money October 5th 04 02:01 AM

MHG Chisels & Hartville Tool

I have a set of Lee Valley (LV) chisels and a set of Lie-Nielsen (LN)
chisels. Lee Valley chisels are nice and reasonably priced. The LN's
are superb and priced high (accordingly).

Now I want a mortising chisel or two or three.....

Today's mail ahd a new catalog from Hartville Tool and low and behold,
a new chisel chioce -- at least for me. Nice looking intermediately
priced chisels from a company called MHG Tools from Germany.

Any of you know anything about these tools? The mortising chisels are
in the neighborhood of $30 apiece compared with $50 for LN's, and $10
for the LV's.

While I'm on the subject, anybody use the LV Detail chisels? They look
good -- around $28 apiece.

Hartville Tools does not yet have an image of these new chisels on
their web site: http://www.hartvilletool.com/prodlis...ef25f7014abc47

patriarch October 5th 04 07:17 AM

(Never Enough Money) wrote in
om:

snip

While I'm on the subject, anybody use the LV Detail chisels? They look
good -- around $28 apiece.

One of the woodworkers I hang out with at Adult Ed has the LV detail set,
and really likes them for small, fiddly stuff. Hence the name, detail
chisel.

Patriarch,
who was doing some hand cut dovetails tonight, hoping to get good enough to
use them in an actual project real soon now...

AAvK October 5th 04 07:24 AM

I want mortise chisels too! Dagnabit! But for all cost comparisons
I have done which ain't supremely much... I decided upon Henry
Taylor ones at: http://www.traditionalwoodworker.com/ because
the price for quality is really good. Free ground shipping if your
buys are over $75 too. I'll get'em when I can afford it.

Alex

Robin Lee October 5th 04 03:00 PM

"Never Enough Money" wrote in message
om...
I have a set of Lee Valley (LV) chisels and a set of Lie-Nielsen (LN)
chisels. Lee Valley chisels are nice and reasonably priced. The LN's
are superb and priced high (accordingly).

Now I want a mortising chisel or two or three.....

Today's mail ahd a new catalog from Hartville Tool and low and behold,
a new chisel chioce -- at least for me. Nice looking intermediately
priced chisels from a company called MHG Tools from Germany.

Any of you know anything about these tools? The mortising chisels are
in the neighborhood of $30 apiece compared with $50 for LN's, and $10
for the LV's.

While I'm on the subject, anybody use the LV Detail chisels? They look
good -- around $28 apiece.

Hartville Tools does not yet have an image of these new chisels on
their web site:

http://www.hartvilletool.com/prodlis...SESSID=5853e61
13951d504baef25f7014abc47

Hi -

MHG are good quality chisels - have tested them ourselves, and can recommend
them...

Cheers -

Rob

Never Enough Money October 6th 04 01:10 AM

"Robin Lee" wrote in message news:9Ox8d.7349
[snip]
MHG are good quality chisels - have tested them ourselves, and can recommend
them...

Then it must be a business reason Lee Valley doesn't carry them?
Thanks for the honesty -- even on products that compete with yours.

Cheers -

Rob

Robin Lee October 6th 04 12:52 PM

"Never Enough Money" wrote in message
om...
"Robin Lee" wrote in message news:9Ox8d.7349
[snip]
MHG are good quality chisels - have tested them ourselves, and can

recommend
them...

Then it must be a business reason Lee Valley doesn't carry them?
Thanks for the honesty -- even on products that compete with yours.

Cheers -

Rob

Hi -

Yes - the most salient one being that Hartville has an exclusive in the US
market, which removes them from consideration for our catalogs - it's not an
attractive proposition for us to sell them in one country only. However,
there are several choices in this quality/price level - and from more than
one country, but the MHG are good chisels....

Cheers -

Rob