DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Which router bit that will do this? (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/71326-router-bit-will-do.html)

ississauga September 28th 04 08:14 AM

Which router bit that will do this?

I need a router bit to shape the top part only, the bottom can be made
with a bit I already own.
top right side of
http://www.barefootfloor.com/pic/Reducer-Strip.jpg

top left side of this, I prefer the edge to be pointy
http://www.lebanonoak.com/mouldings/...tripgroove.jpg

I need to make several transition/reducer strips per day as I install
hardwood flooring. The ready made strips in lumber places don't come
in all the sizes my customer's homes require. So I want to make them
by attaching a bit to my 1/2 inch router. Will this idea work and what
is the name of router bit that will do this? I found some router bits
on the net but they will end up making the slope too steep. So I think
I need a bit that is much wider, thus it will create a gentler slope.
I just need the router bit to shape the top part only, the bottom can
be made with a bit I already own.

Greg G. September 28th 04 09:36 AM

ississauga said:

I need a router bit to shape the top part only, the bottom can be made
with a bit I already own.
..

Look here and find the profile you want:

http://www.whitesiderouterbits.com/c...atalogHome.asp

You may have to use a raised panel bit.
If they don't stock a bit for this, they can make one - for a fee.

That's gonna be a large bit, so you will want to reduce your router
speed or suffer the consequences. A high HP router will also be a
good thing - mounted in a table with featherboards - or a shaper.

I doubt you could safely do this with a handheld router configuration.

FWIW,

Greg G.

Kevin Singleton September 28th 04 01:49 PM

I like Greg's idea of contacting Whiteside for this bit, but I'd suggest
making it a vertical panel raising bit, so you don't have to swing so much
carbide to make the profile.

--
Kevin
-=#=-

m...

Greg G. September 28th 04 02:22 PM

Kevin Singleton said:

I like Greg's idea of contacting Whiteside for this bit, but I'd suggest
making it a vertical panel raising bit, so you don't have to swing so much
carbide to make the profile.

Probably why I also suggested a raised panel bit... ;-)

Greg G.

J. Clarke September 28th 04 02:36 PM

Greg G. wrote:

Kevin Singleton said:

I like Greg's idea of contacting Whiteside for this bit, but I'd suggest
making it a vertical panel raising bit, so you don't have to swing so much
carbide to make the profile.

Probably why I also suggested a raised panel bit... ;-)

Note the "vertical" part though. Makes a difference.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

[email protected] September 28th 04 05:24 PM

On 28 Sep 2004 00:14:15 -0700, (ississauga)
wrote:

[...]

I'd suggest using a tablesaw to remove the bulk of the material and a
block plane and sandpaper to get the curve right. it's quiet, lets you
get a wide range of curves from a small set of tools without buying a
bunch of expensive bits and lets you make small adjustments right
there as you fit the part in place.