DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   My sister tossed out her old countertop... (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/69771-my-sister-tossed-out-her-old-countertop.html)

U-CDK_CHARLES\\Charles September 23rd 04 07:04 PM

My sister tossed out her old countertop...

.... her old maple butcher block tabletop.

The hunk I salvaged is 49" long by 22" wide, made of laminated maple.

Looks like I found the top for my workbench. Now "all I need" is to
build the workbench.

Heck, if I do a Tage Frid-sized benchtop, I might have enough wood
already for the rest of it.

So . . how to approach this.

My instinct is to rip apart the failing laminations and re-do the glue
up using modern glues. Just a guess that modern glue and the lack of
daily washing down with warm water will last longer than I will.

Ideas welcome.

Charles
--
Ready to start sucking . . .

Al Spohn September 23rd 04 07:30 PM

In article PeE4d.10520$QB1.9546@trndny02, "U-CDK_CHARLES\\Charles"
"Charles says...
... her old maple butcher block tabletop.

The hunk I salvaged is 49" long by 22" wide, made of laminated maple.

Looks like I found the top for my workbench. Now "all I need" is to
build the workbench.

Heck, if I do a Tage Frid-sized benchtop, I might have enough wood
already for the rest of it.

So . . how to approach this.

My instinct is to rip apart the failing laminations and re-do the glue
up using modern glues. Just a guess that modern glue and the lack of
daily washing down with warm water will last longer than I will.

Ideas welcome.

Charles
--
Ready to start sucking . . .

Wish I could stumble on something like that. Maybe I could ask for my
coffin early and turn that into a workbench :-) The 22" sounds a tad
narrow, do you have any plans to beef up the width a little?

- Al

U-CDK_CHARLES\\Charles September 27th 04 03:51 PM

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 13:30:16 -0500, Al Spohn wrote:
In article PeE4d.10520$QB1.9546@trndny02, "U-CDK_CHARLES\\Charles"
"Charles says...
... her old maple butcher block tabletop.

The hunk I salvaged is 49" long by 22" wide, made of laminated maple.

Wish I could stumble on something like that. Maybe I could ask for my
coffin early and turn that into a workbench :-) The 22" sounds a tad
narrow, do you have any plans to beef up the width a little?

- Al

I'm kinda bummed because of the lack of length. Width isn't out of line
with Tage Frid's bench. I already have a "Big Table to Clamp Things
On," though in retrospect I should have allowed greater width at the
edges for clamping things.

Cut and learn, I guess :)

Jay September 27th 04 09:34 PM

If you don't mind sacrificing a bit of width, you can add to the
length. Here's how: Cut the counter in half along the diagonal, making
two right triangles. Slide the triangles down one another, adding to
the length and taking away the width. use whatever joinery you like
along with glue to re-secure. Trim to size.