Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Truck Rental

I need a pickup once in a blue moon to get some plywood and the like. I've
looked at options like Menards (19.95 for the first 75 minutes, PLUS .30/mi
mileage, but at least you don't have to fuel it) or uHaul ($19.95 "in
town" PLUS .59/mi, PLUS $1 "environmental" fee, but I'm not sure if they
charge per hour or not.)

Is anyone familiar with a truck rental place that will be at least upfront
with me about the costs? If the truck costs $50 to rent, I want to know
that, not this $19.95 plus mileage and fees deceptive advertising they all
pull.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/15/2021 2:29 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
I need a pickup once in a blue moon to get some plywood and the like. I've
looked at options like Menards (19.95 for the first 75 minutes, PLUS .30/mi
mileage, but at least you don't have to fuel it) or uHaul ($19.95 "in
town" PLUS .59/mi, PLUS $1 "environmental" fee, but I'm not sure if they
charge per hour or not.)

Is anyone familiar with a truck rental place that will be at least upfront
with me about the costs? If the truck costs $50 to rent, I want to know
that, not this $19.95 plus mileage and fees deceptive advertising they all
pull.

Puckdropper

I have rented from Menards, Home Depot (I think) and U-haul. Each of
them was upfront about the rate. U-haul's rate was per hour--and I had
the truck back to them in 40 minutes, and they only charged me for the
fraction of an hour--I had to top-off the gas tank.

The other two just charged me $25 for 75 minutes--no additional charge
for gas. So, U-haul was cheaper. If you only need a truck "once in a
blue moon", be glad one is available on those terms--you're saving a ton
of money compared to owning one!

One other detail--were you aware that some of the prices by U-haul
offered to businesses and non-businesses customers are different? You
can verify this online. Maybe you can make that work for you?

This is America, where "The bold print giveth, and the fine print taketh
away!" I don't think you'll change that. I don't like that all of the
prices advertised by Internet providers are for the first year or two,
and my way of dealing with that has been to mention it to them when I
can, scale back my subscriptions, and throw the offers in the trash.
Get off of my lawn! ; )

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 15 Jun 2021 06:29:07 GMT, Puckdropper
wrote:

I need a pickup once in a blue moon to get some plywood and the like. I've
looked at options like Menards (19.95 for the first 75 minutes, PLUS .30/mi
mileage, but at least you don't have to fuel it) or uHaul ($19.95 "in
town" PLUS .59/mi, PLUS $1 "environmental" fee, but I'm not sure if they
charge per hour or not.)

Is anyone familiar with a truck rental place that will be at least upfront
with me about the costs? If the truck costs $50 to rent, I want to know
that, not this $19.95 plus mileage and fees deceptive advertising they all
pull.

Puckdropper

Check with Enterprise.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, June 15, 2021 at 2:29:11 AM UTC-4, Puckdropper wrote:
I need a pickup once in a blue moon to get some plywood and the like. I've
looked at options like Menards (19.95 for the first 75 minutes, PLUS .30/mi
mileage, but at least you don't have to fuel it) or uHaul ($19.95 "in
town" PLUS .59/mi, PLUS $1 "environmental" fee, but I'm not sure if they
charge per hour or not.)

Is anyone familiar with a truck rental place that will be at least upfront
with me about the costs? If the truck costs $50 to rent, I want to know
that, not this $19.95 plus mileage and fees deceptive advertising they all
pull.

Puckdropper

I helped my daughter move last November. I found that U-Haul was accurate in
their upfront rate quote, assuming that you can do a good job estimating your
own time and mileage. I have also found them to be the least expensive overall.

Don't forget to factor in your time to pickup and return. That is often an unknown
depending on how busy the rental location is.

The biggest problem I had was with their clunky app which is supposed to save
you time. Supposedly you can reserve, pick-up and drop-off without ever dealing
with a counter person. I found that to be BS, which was verified by the counter
person I had to deal with. He bitched about the app since he is the one that has
to deal with the upset customers when the app doesn't work and renters have to
stand in line behind other upset customers, getting even more upset.

YMMV. In theory, the app should really make thing more efficient, but in my experience
it didn't. Reviews show that I am not alone.

Have you considered one of these? I had one for a while and since you own it, it's
available whenever you need it and stores neatly. I don't know how often your blue
moons come around, but eventually it would pay for itself. In addition, you'd probably
use it more than you think since it's readily available. Add in the cost of a floor and
walls if you'd like.

https://www.harborfreight.com/1195-l...ler-62648.html

I'm surprised that they don't have an image of it folded up for storage on their website.

Here you go...

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/51/d8...8475ee01aa.jpg

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/15/2021 1:29 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
I need a pickup once in a blue moon to get some plywood and the like. I've
looked at options like Menards (19.95 for the first 75 minutes, PLUS .30/mi
mileage, but at least you don't have to fuel it) or uHaul ($19.95 "in
town" PLUS .59/mi, PLUS $1 "environmental" fee, but I'm not sure if they
charge per hour or not.)

Is anyone familiar with a truck rental place that will be at least upfront
with me about the costs? If the truck costs $50 to rent, I want to know
that, not this $19.95 plus mileage and fees deceptive advertising they all
pull.

Puckdropper

What's not up front? UHaul charges a flat rate for the stated period
plus whatever you drive. Surely you can estimate that pretty reasonably
where you intend to go.

As for refueling, they no longer necessarily provide the rental
completely full but note on agreement what the gauge reads -- have it
that full or fuller when you return it to avoid the refueling fee.

Seems straightforward-enough to me; what else would you have them do;
measure it out for you first?

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I need a pickup once in a blue moon to get some plywood and the like. I've
looked at options like Menards (19.95 for the first 75 minutes, PLUS .30/mi
mileage, but at least you don't have to fuel it) or uHaul ($19.95 "in
town" PLUS .59/mi, PLUS $1 "environmental" fee, but I'm not sure if they
charge per hour or not.)
Is anyone familiar with a truck rental place that will be at least upfront
with me about the costs? If the truck costs $50 to rent, I want to know
that, not this $19.95 plus mileage and fees deceptive advertising they all
pull.
Puckdropper

Since his car is unable to pull his old trailer, my brother has
taken-to renting a pickup or van when he needs one -
a few times per year at most. Being in a fairly small city, he
doesn't squabble about a minor price difference but rather
he's happy when one is available when he needs it.
In my experience - the daily rates are competitive but the
extra "insurance" and mileage costs can be quite different -
- note : if you are using your car's insurance policy to cover
the rental - double check with your insurance broker to
make sure that you are covered for a "commercial vehicle"
rental ! Most are not ..
John T.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, June 15, 2021 at 9:13:26 AM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

I found some old pictures of my trailer in use. The rack unbolts, the walls come off and the
trailer folds in 3rd's, ready to roll into my garage. It served me well for about 5 years until I
sold it for $250. I think I paid about $400, including the trailer and the wood for the sides
and floor.

https://i.imgur.com/7oRF8jm.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/XVfS66w.jpg
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I need a pickup once in a blue moon to get some plywood and the like. I've
looked at options like Menards (19.95 for the first 75 minutes, PLUS .30/mi
mileage, but at least you don't have to fuel it) or uHaul ($19.95 "in
town" PLUS .59/mi, PLUS $1 "environmental" fee, but I'm not sure if they
charge per hour or not.)

Is anyone familiar with a truck rental place that will be at least upfront
with me about the costs? If the truck costs $50 to rent, I want to know
that, not this $19.95 plus mileage and fees deceptive advertising they all
pull.

The only time I had a problem with a rented truck (used for moving
many years ago) was with gas mileage - this truck was in serious need
of repair - it was getting maybe one tenth the normal mileage for such
a truck, so the fuel fee was a big surprise. The counter folk did not
argue with my complaint about low mileage, for all the good it did me.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/15/2021 2:29 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
I need a pickup once in a blue moon to get some plywood and the like. I've
looked at options like Menards (19.95 for the first 75 minutes, PLUS .30/mi
mileage, but at least you don't have to fuel it) or uHaul ($19.95 "in
town" PLUS .59/mi, PLUS $1 "environmental" fee, but I'm not sure if they
charge per hour or not.)

Is anyone familiar with a truck rental place that will be at least upfront
with me about the costs? If the truck costs $50 to rent, I want to know
that, not this $19.95 plus mileage and fees deceptive advertising they all
pull.

Puckdropper

I've never rented a pickup type truck, but the only issue we had with
Uhaul was that they tried to charge us for using the strapped down dolly
and moving blankets inside the moving box truck... they weren't strapped
in place when we rented the truck. They relented and dismissed the fees.

I always keep an old pickup on hand as a spare vehicle and for instances
when it is necessary to haul. If you live anywhere near Ohio, I've got
a 1976 Chevy C10 with your name on it for $1,200 ... I'll keep my '83
F150.
Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 on Tue, 15 Jun 2021 06:13:23 -0700
(PDT) typed in rec.woodworking the following:

Have you considered one of these? I had one for a while and since you own it, it's
available whenever you need it and stores neatly. I don't know how often your blue
moons come around, but eventually it would pay for itself. In addition, you'd probably
use it more than you think since it's readily available. Add in the cost of a floor and
walls if you'd like.

https://www.harborfreight.com/1195-l...ler-62648.html

I'm surprised that they don't have an image of it folded up for storage on their website.

The OP doesn't mention it, but I have considered renting a
trailer, except for the small issue of the four to five hundred
dollars to get a hitch installed and wired up. It is a one time cost,
true, but it is still a cost.

Buying a trailer for "occasional use" is a good idea, but I still
have that problem of "what do I do with it the other 50 weekends of
the year?" {If I had my way, I'd own the parking/storage area where I
kept "it" the weekends I don't use it.}

--
pyotr filipivich
This Week's Panel: Us & Them - Eliminating Them.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 15 Jun 2021 09:04:56 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

DerbyDad03 on Tue, 15 Jun 2021 06:13:23 -0700
(PDT) typed in rec.woodworking the following:

Have you considered one of these? I had one for a while and since you own it, it's
available whenever you need it and stores neatly. I don't know how often your blue
moons come around, but eventually it would pay for itself. In addition, you'd probably
use it more than you think since it's readily available. Add in the cost of a floor and
walls if you'd like.

https://www.harborfreight.com/1195-l...ler-62648.html

I'm surprised that they don't have an image of it folded up for storage on their website.

The OP doesn't mention it, but I have considered renting a
trailer, except for the small issue of the four to five hundred
dollars to get a hitch installed and wired up. It is a one time cost,
true, but it is still a cost.

On the very odd chance that you drive a Jeep Grand Cherokee, there is
a recall out on them that results in a trailer hitch being installed
at no charge to you.

Buying a trailer for "occasional use" is a good idea, but I still
have that problem of "what do I do with it the other 50 weekends of
the year?" {If I had my way, I'd own the parking/storage area where I
kept "it" the weekends I don't use it.}

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, June 15, 2021 at 12:05:04 PM UTC-4, pyotr filipivich wrote:
DerbyDad03 on Tue, 15 Jun 2021 06:13:23 -0700
(PDT) typed in rec.woodworking the following:

Have you considered one of these? I had one for a while and since you own it, it's
available whenever you need it and stores neatly. I don't know how often your blue
moons come around, but eventually it would pay for itself. In addition, you'd probably
use it more than you think since it's readily available. Add in the cost of a floor and
walls if you'd like.

https://www.harborfreight.com/1195-l...ler-62648.html

I'm surprised that they don't have an image of it folded up for storage on their website.

The OP doesn't mention it, but I have considered renting a
trailer, except for the small issue of the four to five hundred
dollars to get a hitch installed and wired up. It is a one time cost,
true, but it is still a cost.

Your cost estimate seems pretty high, at least in my experience. Maybe
there's something related to your vehicle that makes them overly expensive.

I can get a "hang below" hitch for my 2017 Odyssey for $128 and install it in
less than an hour. I chose to spend about $180 and get a hitch that hides
under the bumper cover. The install takes a lot longer, but the end result
is a much cleaner look. Only the receiver is exposed.

https://i.imgur.com/mpwDbT0.jpg

If you can use a wrench, you can install a hitch.

The harness cost about $40, and with many vehicles it's plug and play. You may
have to pull a few internal panels, but it's pretty simple.

So now I'm at $220. I spent another $150 and installed a transmission cooler
up front to hopefully extend the life of my tranny, even though I don't tow
excessively, either from a weight or frequency perspective. Still, trannies are
expensive and the heat caused by towing is not good for them. DAMHIKT

https://i.imgur.com/XNTiJQM.jpg

So, for less than your low end of $400, I installed a high quality, hidden
hitch as well as a high quality transmission cooler.

Buying a trailer for "occasional use" is a good idea, but I still
have that problem of "what do I do with it the other 50 weekends of
the year?" {If I had my way, I'd own the parking/storage area where I
kept "it" the weekends I don't use it.}

The fold up trailer that I linked to doesn't take up much space. I kept
mine up against the wall of a single car garage.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/15/2021 2:29 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
I need a pickup once in a blue moon to get some plywood and the like. I've
looked at options like Menards (19.95 for the first 75 minutes, PLUS .30/mi
mileage, but at least you don't have to fuel it) or uHaul ($19.95 "in
town" PLUS .59/mi, PLUS $1 "environmental" fee, but I'm not sure if they
charge per hour or not.)

Is anyone familiar with a truck rental place that will be at least upfront
with me about the costs? If the truck costs $50 to rent, I want to know
that, not this $19.95 plus mileage and fees deceptive advertising they all
pull.

Puckdropper

Entice a friend with a six-pack

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/15/2021 2:25 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

As said it depends on the truck. It cost $365 for my 2017 Grand
Caravan. There were two parts in that charge one for the hitch and the
other adding the wiring to run the 12 volts back to the rear of the
truck. As I understand it had something to do wit the tail lights being
wired for LED lights. (Yes I may be gullible, but everywhere I went I
got the same story)

I have a 21' sailboat so there was no question about the hitch. However
since it cost about $200 just for transportation if my Lawn tractor
needs service, I found that I could rent a trailer at U Haul for about
$20 per day or $40 for transportation for service rather than $200.

You did not say what kind of truck you have but all of my vans including
the Grand Caravan will handle a 4x8 sheet of plywood,etc on the floor
all back seats being down.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, June 15, 2021 at 5:27:23 PM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

It sounds like you had the installation done as opposed to DIY. My
numbers were all DIY.

It would be interesting to see the breakdown of parts and labor. My
guess is that the installer up charged the parts costs.

Hitches are not that hard to install. I've done at least 5 on my own
vehicles and helped a few other people with theirs.

I have a 21' sailboat so there was no question about the hitch. However
since it cost about $200 just for transportation if my Lawn tractor
needs service, I found that I could rent a trailer at U Haul for about
$20 per day or $40 for transportation for service rather than $200.

You did not say what kind of truck you have but all of my vans including
the Grand Caravan will handle a 4x8 sheet of plywood,etc on the floor
all back seats being down.

Yes I did (I even included a picture) and yes it can.

Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

[...]

https://www.harborfreight.com/1195-l...-in-heavy-duty
-folding-trailer-62648.html

I'm surprised that they don't have an image of it folded up for
storage on their website.

Here you go...

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/51/d8...7a9d18475ee01a
a.jpg

I tried uHaul's site and had to go through about 8 pages of add-ons that
I declined. I was just looking for something to put some plywood in, I
didn't need moving blankets, boxes, dollies, helpers, etc. They didn't
even give me a mileage quote, so I was left doing it by hand.

The trailer and a bigger vehicle are the long term solution. My little
car probably won't do that well with a trailer and 10 sheets of plywood.

Thanks for the suggestion of the HF folding trailer. I'll keep it in
mind for the future.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

It sounds like you had the installation done as opposed to DIY. My
numbers were all DIY.
It would be interesting to see the breakdown of parts and labor. My
guess is that the installer up charged the parts costs.
Hitches are not that hard to install. I've done at least 5 on my own
vehicles and helped a few other people with theirs.

I installed one on my wife's Jetta - to carry the bicycles only.
It is custom made for that car ; comes with clear instructions -
- torque values & such ; and I'm not very mechanically
inclined - I barely know which end of the wrench to hammer on.
John T.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/15/2021 5:45 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

I had the work don't by the local Hhaul dealer. In my mind it was about
$100 for the lights and about $265. Both were installed by Uhaul.

At 75 I thought it was worth having the dealer install, it rather that
sliding around under the van myself.

Also I believe the with last DIY project I did, hospital bill to remove
the rust from my eyes was about what I saved DIY
Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

Digital images do not come down on a Text only newsgroup
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/15/2021 7:15 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

[...]

We live in a rural area, and I know the dealer also has the trailer I
need. When I rented it I went to the deal and told him what I wanted no
extra questions.

Additionally I was rent an open stake type trailer not a van. So many
of the bells and whistles did not apply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 15 Jun 2021 19:47:15 -0400, knuttle
wrote:

[...]

Just a note but a Yakima rack with the medium bars holds plywood
nicely. The weight you can carry is limited (typically around 150
pounds officially) but it does work. And when you're not using it for
plywood it will also carry bicycles, kayaks, or what have you.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 15 Jun 2021 11:25:10 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

[...]

Now pay $135 an hour to have it installed and his price is pretty
optimistic!!! Some people are not able or willing to attempt
installing a hitch - particularly a "hidden hitch" - and others that
are shouldn't (You wouldn't believe what I've seen!!!!)

Buying a trailer for "occasional use" is a good idea, but I still
have that problem of "what do I do with it the other 50 weekends of
the year?" {If I had my way, I'd own the parking/storage area where I
kept "it" the weekends I don't use it.}

The fold up trailer that I linked to doesn't take up much space. I kept
mine up against the wall of a single car garage.

They'll almost fit under a barBQ cover -_-
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 15 Jun 2021 17:27:18 -0400, knuttle
wrote:

[...]

Lots of newer vehicles require a power feed and a relay kit. Not
using one risks destroying tthe wiring harness and/or the BCM.
Everything is controlled by the CAN Net

I have a 21' sailboat so there was no question about the hitch. However
since it cost about $200 just for transportation if my Lawn tractor
needs service, I found that I could rent a trailer at U Haul for about
$20 per day or $40 for transportation for service rather than $200.

You did not say what kind of truck you have but all of my vans including
the Grand Caravan will handle a 4x8 sheet of plywood,etc on the floor
all back seats being down.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

My sister rented a U-Haul to move from Ontario to BC - along with a
car trailer (they has 2 vehicles to move) and they went through about
10 gallons of oil getting to Thunder Bay - then had to drive it to
Winnipeg to get a replacement truck and re-load everything.

They used to have the crappiest. most poorly maintained rental fleet
around. I notice they seem to have newer trucks recently - but no way
will I rent from them if I have an alternative.

Truck for sale... '99 Isuzu FTR - (It's Metal related because it's a MANLY TRUCK, and we're manly men here!!!!) RainLover Metalworking 0 October 14th 05 08:40 PM
PAT tester rental Alex H UK diy 1 March 31st 04 12:00 PM
walkthrough of rental property Jonathan Kamens Home Ownership 2 November 24th 03 05:05 AM
Using a rental TILLER to till lawn Dan G Home Repair 16 September 24th 03 12:18 AM
Using a rental TILLER to till lawn Jon Endres, PE Home Ownership 1 September 24th 03 12:18 AM