DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Outdoor finish (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/687032-outdoor-finish.html)

swalker June 5th 21 04:28 PM

Outdoor finish

We have one of those short flag poles that is held at an angle when
mounted on the deck rail. After years of exposure to weather it became
pretty sorry looking so wife sanded it all down and put some
penetrating stain on it.

When she purchased the stain she also bought a rattle-can of poly
which according to the directions can only be used on indoor items..

What would be the best finish over the stain to use given that we have
to purchase something else.

Thanks.

Leon[_7_] June 5th 21 04:45 PM

Outdoor finish

On 6/5/2021 9:28 AM, swalker wrote:
We have one of those short flag poles that is held at an angle when
mounted on the deck rail. After years of exposure to weather it became
pretty sorry looking so wife sanded it all down and put some
penetrating stain on it.

When she purchased the stain she also bought a rattle-can of poly
which according to the directions can only be used on indoor items..

What would be the best finish over the stain to use given that we have
to purchase something else.

Thanks.

A spar varnish will be better BUT

Qny clear finish will not last and will have to be dealt with every
few/several years.

I would recommend a similar color out door paint.

General Finishes Milk Paint comes in several colors and is outdoor
rated. This paint has a lot of solids so it covers easily and leaves a
flat even finish.

J. Clarke[_5_] June 5th 21 07:10 PM

Outdoor finish

On Sat, 05 Jun 2021 09:28:11 -0500, swalker wrote:

We have one of those short flag poles that is held at an angle when
mounted on the deck rail. After years of exposure to weather it became
pretty sorry looking so wife sanded it all down and put some
penetrating stain on it.

When she purchased the stain she also bought a rattle-can of poly
which according to the directions can only be used on indoor items..

What would be the best finish over the stain to use given that we have
to purchase something else.

Depends on how "best" you want to be. Among the stuff Home Depot
stocks, I'd go for the oil based Varathane spar urethane.

If you've got access to a real paint store ask them for a
recommendation--they should have something in stock that will work
well.

If you want the _real_ good stuff look into Epifanes or Awlwood, but
sit down before you check the price.

swalker June 5th 21 08:30 PM

Outdoor finish

On Sat, 5 Jun 2021 09:45:16 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

[...]

Thanks Leon,

I took your advice on the Rikon band saw problem and contacted Carter
Products. Although they did not have an exact replacement they
directed me toward one of their Euro Guides.

A friend who has a metal lathe made an adapter that made it work.

Although not perfect it is a world of difference and I am happy with
it.

In the process we learned on the Rikon 10-346 there were no real
"bearings" as in ball type bearings. Instead the guides and the thrust
bearings were oil impregnated bronze with a hard face of some
materiel. Unsealed they quickly clogged with fine dust and froze up.

swalker June 5th 21 08:31 PM

Outdoor finish

On Sat, 05 Jun 2021 13:10:08 -0400, J. Clarke
wrote:

[...]

I don't mind my wife repainting the pole every few years so I will go
with a cheaper paint.

[email protected] June 6th 21 12:32 AM

Outdoor finish

wrote:

[...]

"Spar" is more flexible so will last longer on a flag pole. It's
intended for sailboat spars so has to remain somewhat flexible. Paint
won't, particularly cheap paint. It'll likely peel or blister, making
refinishing a PITA.