Woodworking (rec.woodworking) Discussion forum covering all aspects of working with wood. All levels of expertise are encouraged to particiapte.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #11   Report Post  
Old June 3rd 21, 06:37 PM posted to rec.woodworking
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Nov 2006
Posts: 14,846
Default Save time cutting plywood

On Thursday, June 3, 2021 at 1:11:44 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Wednesday, May 19, 2021 at 11:15:16 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
A little trick that will save lots of time when you have more than one
sheet to cut

https://imgur.com/gallery/9Bz6KYk
Guessing that is a 10" table saw he is using. So it has about a 4" depth of cut. 5 sheets of 3/4" plywood. A 7.25" circular saw has about a 2.5" depth of cut. 3 sheets of 3/4" plywood. So he is able to cut 2 more sheets with the upside down table saw than if he used a common circular saw. It is an improvement in productivity. But enough to warrant the extra effort? Looks like the stack of plywood he is cutting is about 3 feet tall. About 50 sheets. So it will be 10 passes with his upside down table saw compared to 17 passes with a circular saw. Worth it? Its easier to push a circular saw than an upside down table saw. So I bet the effort and time used for 10 upside down table saw passes will be more than the 17 circular saw passes. So in the end its a negative from a labor, production, perspective.

This chap needs to use his obvious and vastly superior mind to invent a new and better way to cut plywood.


But where is his circular saw? Maybe he left it home, maybe it's locked in somebody's truck,
maybe it's on the roof and all the ladders went home. Maybe he let the smoke out or cut
the cord.

Your math may be correct, but are you sure that you've accounted for all of the variables?

Oh yeah, one other question: Aren't you making a pretty bold assumption about the number
of cuts he plans on making? Maybe he's had his fun and he's done.

  #12   Report Post  
Old June 3rd 21, 07:48 PM posted to rec.woodworking
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Apr 2011
Posts: 12,155
Default Save time cutting plywood

On 6/3/2021 12:11 PM, wrote:
On Wednesday, May 19, 2021 at 11:15:16 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
A little trick that will save lots of time when you have more than one
sheet to cut

https://imgur.com/gallery/9Bz6KYk

Guessing that is a 10" table saw he is using. So it has about a 4" depth of cut.


Well that is nor right, for the vast majority of 10" table saws. 3" and
a bit over is the max I have ever seen. MY ICS SawStop cuts 3.125" deep.

So recalculate everything below. :!) 4 sheets max.






5 sheets of 3/4" plywood. A 7.25" circular saw has about a 2.5" depth
of cut. 3 sheets of 3/4" plywood. So he is able to cut 2 more sheets
with the upside down table saw than if he used a common circular saw.
It is an improvement in productivity. But enough to warrant the extra
effort? Looks like the stack of plywood he is cutting is about 3 feet
tall. About 50 sheets. So it will be 10 passes with his upside down
table saw compared to 17 passes with a circular saw. Worth it? Its
easier to push a circular saw than an upside down table saw. So I bet
the effort and time used for 10 upside down table saw passes will be
more than the 17 circular saw passes. So in the end its a negative from
a labor, production, perspective.

This chap needs to use his obvious and vastly superior mind to invent a new and better way to cut plywood.


  #13   Report Post  
Old June 3rd 21, 09:41 PM posted to rec.woodworking
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jan 2013
Posts: 783
Default Save time cutting plywood

Another variable for the mix:

It is likely that the table saw has more torque than the circular saw and
can actually make the deep cut relatively quickly. The circular saw may
require a much slower feed rate to accomplish the cut.

" wrote in message
...

On Wednesday, May 19, 2021 at 11:15:16 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
A little trick that will save lots of time when you have more than one
sheet to cut

https://imgur.com/gallery/9Bz6KYk


Guessing that is a 10" table saw he is using. So it has about a 4" depth of
cut. 5 sheets of 3/4" plywood. A 7.25" circular saw has about a 2.5" depth
of cut. 3 sheets of 3/4" plywood. So he is able to cut 2 more sheets with
the upside down table saw than if he used a common circular saw. It is an
improvement in productivity. But enough to warrant the extra effort? Looks
like the stack of plywood he is cutting is about 3 feet tall. About 50
sheets. So it will be 10 passes with his upside down table saw compared to
17 passes with a circular saw. Worth it? Its easier to push a circular saw
than an upside down table saw. So I bet the effort and time used for 10
upside down table saw passes will be more than the 17 circular saw passes.
So in the end its a negative from a labor, production, perspective.

This chap needs to use his obvious and vastly superior mind to invent a new
and better way to cut plywood.


  #14   Report Post  
Old June 3rd 21, 09:53 PM posted to rec.woodworking
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Sep 2017
Posts: 524
Default Save time cutting plywood

On Thu, 3 Jun 2021 06:08:26 -0700 (PDT), Brian Welch
wrote:

On Thursday, May 20, 2021 at 3:56:12 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Thu, 20 May 2021 12:50:06 -0400, knuttle
wrote:

On 5/20/2021 10:47 AM, Leon wrote:
On 5/19/2021 11:15 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
A little trick that will save lots of time when you have more than one
sheet to cut

https://imgur.com/gallery/9Bz6KYk


Something tells me that would not be faster adter having to lift the TS
up there upside down.
That is like using your push mower to trim your hedges.

However it appears to be working for him.

If he gets a kickback, it's going to be a Bugs Bunny show.

another future Darwin Award candidate...


Does that saw have enough gumption to kick itself?
  #15   Report Post  
Old June 3rd 21, 09:55 PM posted to rec.woodworking
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Sep 2017
Posts: 524
Default Save time cutting plywood

On Thu, 3 Jun 2021 10:11:41 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Wednesday, May 19, 2021 at 11:15:16 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
A little trick that will save lots of time when you have more than one
sheet to cut

https://imgur.com/gallery/9Bz6KYk


Guessing that is a 10" table saw he is using. So it has about a 4" depth of cut. 5 sheets of 3/4" plywood. A 7.25" circular saw has about a 2.5" depth of cut. 3 sheets of 3/4" plywood. So he is able to cut 2 more sheets with the upside down table saw than if he used a common circular saw. It is an improvement in productivity. But enough to warrant the extra effort? Looks like the stack of plywood he is cutting is about 3 feet tall. About 50 sheets. So it will be 10 passes with his upside down table saw compared to 17 passes with a circular saw. Worth it? Its easier to push a circular saw than an upside down table saw. So I bet the effort and time used for 10 upside down table saw passes will be more than the 17 circular saw passes. So in the end its a negative from a labor, production, perspective.


One thing that he has though is a vastly better fence than comes on
any circular saw, and no need to rig and align a track for each cut.

This chap needs to use his obvious and vastly superior mind to invent a new and better way to cut plywood.



  #16   Report Post  
Old June 3rd 21, 11:05 PM posted to rec.woodworking
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Dec 2016
Posts: 2,833
Default Save time cutting plywood

On Thu, 3 Jun 2021 10:11:41 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Wednesday, May 19, 2021 at 11:15:16 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
A little trick that will save lots of time when you have more than one
sheet to cut

https://imgur.com/gallery/9Bz6KYk


Guessing that is a 10" table saw he is using. So it has about a 4" depth of cut. 5 sheets of 3/4" plywood. A 7.25" circular saw has about a 2.5" depth of cut. 3 sheets of 3/4" plywood. So he is able to cut 2 more sheets with the upside down table saw than if he used a common circular saw. It is an improvement in productivity. But enough to warrant the extra effort? Looks like the stack of plywood he is cutting is about 3 feet tall. About 50 sheets. So it will be 10 passes with his upside down table saw compared to 17 passes with a circular saw. Worth it? Its easier to push a circular saw than an upside down table saw. So I bet the effort and time used for 10 upside down table saw passes will be more than the 17 circular saw passes. So in the end its a negative from a labor, production, perspective.

This chap needs to use his obvious and vastly superior mind to invent a new and better way to cut plywood.


But he did get more clicks than a circular saw and he wouldn't have
been up for the Darwin Award.
  #17   Report Post  
Old June 3rd 21, 11:07 PM posted to rec.woodworking
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,377
Default Save time cutting plywood

" writes:
On Wednesday, May 19, 2021 at 11:15:16 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
A little trick that will save lots of time when you have more than one=20
sheet to cut=20
=20
https://imgur.com/gallery/9Bz6KYk


Guessing that is a 10" table saw he is using. So it has about a 4" depth o=
f cut. 5 sheets of 3/4" plywood. A 7.25" circular saw has about a 2.5" de=
pth of cut. 3 sheets of 3/4" plywood. So he is able to cut 2 more sheets =
with the upside down table saw than if he used a common circular saw. It i=
s an improvement in productivity. But enough to warrant the extra effort? =
Looks like the stack of plywood he is cutting is about 3 feet tall. About=
50 sheets. So it will be 10 passes with his upside down table saw compare=
d to 17 passes with a circular saw. Worth it? Its easier to push a circul=
ar saw than an upside down table saw. So I bet the effort and time used fo=
r 10 upside down table saw passes will be more than the 17 circular saw pas=
ses. So in the end its a negative from a labor, production, perspective.

This chap needs to use his obvious and vastly superior mind to invent a new=
and better way to cut plywood.


You mean like a panel saw?

https://www.woodcraft.com/categories/panel-saws
  #18   Report Post  
Old June 4th 21, 04:28 PM posted to rec.woodworking
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Feb 2007
Posts: 499
Default Save time cutting plywood

On Thursday, June 3, 2021 at 1:48:47 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
On 6/3/2021 12:11 PM, wrote:
On Wednesday, May 19, 2021 at 11:15:16 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
A little trick that will save lots of time when you have more than one
sheet to cut

https://imgur.com/gallery/9Bz6KYk


Guessing that is a 10" table saw he is using. So it has about a 4" depth of cut.

Well that is nor right, for the vast majority of 10" table saws. 3" and
a bit over is the max I have ever seen. MY ICS SawStop cuts 3.125" deep.

So recalculate everything below. :!) 4 sheets max.


Went to the basement and measured my Delta Contractor saw. It has about a 3" depth of cut. I rarely if ever try to cut maximum depth so never even measured it until your comment. I guessed wrong on the depth of cut. 4 sheets max per cut. But I probably over estimated on the 7.25" circular saw too. It likely only cuts 2 sheets of plywood instead of 3. So some of my calculations may have been right after all. Ha! Better to be lucky than good or smart. Kind of like the guy in the video.





5 sheets of 3/4" plywood. A 7.25" circular saw has about a 2.5" depth
of cut. 3 sheets of 3/4" plywood. So he is able to cut 2 more sheets
with the upside down table saw than if he used a common circular saw.
It is an improvement in productivity. But enough to warrant the extra
effort? Looks like the stack of plywood he is cutting is about 3 feet
tall. About 50 sheets. So it will be 10 passes with his upside down
table saw compared to 17 passes with a circular saw. Worth it? Its
easier to push a circular saw than an upside down table saw. So I bet
the effort and time used for 10 upside down table saw passes will be
more than the 17 circular saw passes. So in the end its a negative from
a labor, production, perspective.

This chap needs to use his obvious and vastly superior mind to invent a new and better way to cut plywood.

  #19   Report Post  
Old June 4th 21, 04:44 PM posted to rec.woodworking
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Feb 2007
Posts: 499
Default Save time cutting plywood

On Thursday, June 3, 2021 at 12:37:05 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Thursday, June 3, 2021 at 1:11:44 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Wednesday, May 19, 2021 at 11:15:16 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
A little trick that will save lots of time when you have more than one
sheet to cut

https://imgur.com/gallery/9Bz6KYk

Guessing that is a 10" table saw he is using. So it has about a 4" depth of cut. 5 sheets of 3/4" plywood. A 7.25" circular saw has about a 2.5" depth of cut. 3 sheets of 3/4" plywood. So he is able to cut 2 more sheets with the upside down table saw than if he used a common circular saw. It is an improvement in productivity. But enough to warrant the extra effort? Looks like the stack of plywood he is cutting is about 3 feet tall. About 50 sheets. So it will be 10 passes with his upside down table saw compared to 17 passes with a circular saw. Worth it? Its easier to push a circular saw than an upside down table saw. So I bet the effort and time used for 10 upside down table saw passes will be more than the 17 circular saw passes. So in the end its a negative from a labor, production, perspective.

This chap needs to use his obvious and vastly superior mind to invent a new and better way to cut plywood.

But where is his circular saw? Maybe he left it home, maybe it's locked in somebody's truck,
maybe it's on the roof and all the ladders went home. Maybe he let the smoke out or cut
the cord.


True. But your argument might be comparable to some other examples I thought of. Fixing the soffit on your house. But you have no ladder to get up there. The smarter, simpler, more logical person might figure out where to get a ladder. Buy it, rent it, borrow it. But the more creative might fix a hook to the end of a rope and throw it up to grab on the gutter. And climb up there to fix the soffit. Or he might recruit a friend who does not have a ladder to loan. Both climb up on the roof from the top of a pickup they park on the other side of the house and one guy hangs over the edge of the roof upside down and repairs the soffit. While the other guy holds onto his ankles. Or if he knows a painter maybe he could get hold of 50 paint cans and assemble a staircase of paint cans high enough to get him up to the soffit. All possibilities for the creative genius who can't get a ladder. Kind of like turning the table saw upside down instead of finding a circular saw.





Your math may be correct, but are you sure that you've accounted for all of the variables?

Oh yeah, one other question: Aren't you making a pretty bold assumption about the number
of cuts he plans on making? Maybe he's had his fun and he's done.


True again. But doing this upside down table saw once is maybe comparable to playing Russian roulette. Some people, maybe, get a thrill out of playing it once. Just once since even the dimmest know the odds are stacked against them if they play it too often. But I'm confident almost everyone will say even playing Russian roulette once is not smart. Like doing the upside down table saw cutting once is not smart.
  #20   Report Post  
Old June 4th 21, 06:31 PM posted to rec.woodworking
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Dec 2016
Posts: 2,833
Default Save time cutting plywood

On Fri, 4 Jun 2021 08:44:32 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Thursday, June 3, 2021 at 12:37:05 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Thursday, June 3, 2021 at 1:11:44 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Wednesday, May 19, 2021 at 11:15:16 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
A little trick that will save lots of time when you have more than one
sheet to cut

https://imgur.com/gallery/9Bz6KYk
Guessing that is a 10" table saw he is using. So it has about a 4" depth of cut. 5 sheets of 3/4" plywood. A 7.25" circular saw has about a 2.5" depth of cut. 3 sheets of 3/4" plywood. So he is able to cut 2 more sheets with the upside down table saw than if he used a common circular saw. It is an improvement in productivity. But enough to warrant the extra effort? Looks like the stack of plywood he is cutting is about 3 feet tall. About 50 sheets. So it will be 10 passes with his upside down table saw compared to 17 passes with a circular saw. Worth it? Its easier to push a circular saw than an upside down table saw. So I bet the effort and time used for 10 upside down table saw passes will be more than the 17 circular saw passes. So in the end its a negative from a labor, production, perspective.

This chap needs to use his obvious and vastly superior mind to invent a new and better way to cut plywood.

But where is his circular saw? Maybe he left it home, maybe it's locked in somebody's truck,
maybe it's on the roof and all the ladders went home. Maybe he let the smoke out or cut
the cord.


True. But your argument might be comparable to some other examples I thought of. Fixing the soffit on your house. But you have no ladder to get up there. The smarter, simpler, more logical person might figure out where to get a ladder. Buy it, rent it, borrow it. But the more creative might fix a hook to the end of a rope and throw it up to grab on the gutter. And climb up there to fix the soffit. Or he might recruit a friend who does not have a ladder to loan. Both climb up on the roof from the top of a pickup they park on the other side of the house and one guy hangs over the edge of the roof upside down and repairs the soffit. While the other guy holds onto his ankles. Or if he knows a painter maybe he could get hold of 50 paint cans and assemble a staircase of paint cans high enough to get him up to the soffit. All possibilities for the creative genius who can't get a ladder. Kind of like turning the table saw upside down instead of finding a circular saw.

I guess there are suicidal people everywhere.



Your math may be correct, but are you sure that you've accounted for all of the variables?

Oh yeah, one other question: Aren't you making a pretty bold assumption about the number
of cuts he plans on making? Maybe he's had his fun and he's done.


True again. But doing this upside down table saw once is maybe comparable to playing Russian roulette. Some people, maybe, get a thrill out of playing it once. Just once since even the dimmest know the odds are stacked against them if they play it too often. But I'm confident almost everyone will say even playing Russian roulette once is not smart. Like doing the upside down table saw cutting once is not smart.


The Darwin Award isn't something to aspire to winning.


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Plywood cutting time saver Ed Pawlowski[_3_] Home Repair 12 May 23rd 21 06:17 PM
Johnny America is Challenging "The Corporate Bush Whores" to a Presidential Debate - Save Our Souls "The most important recording YOU'LL ever hear." Save Our Souls - Bushite troops asked if they would MURDER Americans for the Phil L UK diy 0 February 13th 08 12:46 AM
ever veneer over plywood to "save" a project? Tom Woodworking 1 August 22nd 07 01:31 AM
Recommendation for reasonably priced, high quality 10" blade for cutting birch plywood and oak-veneer plywood blueman Woodworking 9 October 31st 06 09:45 PM
Luan plywood vs. 1/4" birch plywood. blueman Woodworking 6 September 19th 05 03:08 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:03 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2021 DIYbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about DIY & home improvement"

 

Copyright © 2017