DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Plywood trade (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/686506-plywood-trade.html)

Ed Pawlowski[_3_] May 8th 21 04:59 AM

Plywood trade

One way to get some plywood

https://imgur.com/gallery/kRSHfJX

Puckdropper May 8th 21 07:19 AM

Plywood trade

Ed Pawlowski wrote in :

One way to get some plywood

https://imgur.com/gallery/kRSHfJX

A car salesman I play hockey with just posted his dealership got in a bunch
of new Corvettes. Guess they want to do some renovations!

Puckdropper

[email protected] May 8th 21 06:18 PM

Plywood trade

On Fri, 7 May 2021 23:59:05 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

One way to get some plywood

https://imgur.com/gallery/kRSHfJX

I'm rich! I have a dozen sheets of 1/2" and about the same 3/4",
different grades and a couple of oak and birch.

DerbyDad03 May 9th 21 03:25 AM

Plywood trade

On Saturday, May 8, 2021 at 1:18:35 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Fri, 7 May 2021 23:59:05 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

One way to get some plywood

https://imgur.com/gallery/kRSHfJX

I'm rich! I have a dozen sheets of 1/2" and about the same 3/4",
different grades and a couple of oak and birch.

You have inventory. Maybe you'll be rich after you sell it.

Let us know.

Sonny May 9th 21 04:47 AM

Plywood trade

On Saturday, May 8, 2021 at 1:19:30 AM UTC-5, Puckdropper wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote in :
One way to get some plywood

https://imgur.com/gallery/kRSHfJX

A car salesman I play hockey with just posted his dealership got in a bunch
of new Corvettes. Guess they want to do some renovations!

Puckdropper

Yesterday, I detoured 1/2 mile to get a plate lunch at a local store. Saw an on going reroofing job with lots of ply in the dumpster. Stopped by, asked to dumpster dive and picked up 1/4 truck load of 1/2" ply "scrap", more than enough to build a work bench and upper cabinets for my nephew's shop..... about half hour's work.

Update: Got the main and "screen" doors installed on nephew's pool house. "Screen" door with no screen, but acrylic glass.... nephew's wife wanted to see her new main door. Threshold and its foundation needed work, as well, and got that done prior to door install. Large window still needs a little trim (paint) work. Scroll right for 2 more pics. https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/

Today, I pulled out lots of lumber to start the work bench/cabinets build. Yeah, as K, in the past, when I'd go to to Lowes, HD, etc., I'd always pick up sheets of ply for future use..... and dumpster dive when I saw good pickings.

Sonny

Leon[_7_] May 9th 21 03:05 PM

Plywood trade

On 5/8/2021 9:25 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Saturday, May 8, 2021 at 1:18:35 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Fri, 7 May 2021 23:59:05 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

One way to get some plywood

https://imgur.com/gallery/kRSHfJX

I'm rich! I have a dozen sheets of 1/2" and about the same 3/4",
different grades and a couple of oak and birch.

You have inventory. Maybe you'll be rich after you sell it.

Let us know.

Oddly, I have really only seen a modest price increase in "some"
plywoods. MDO is still the same as it was 2 years ago and it is a
premium grade resin veneer ply. 1/2 5x5 Baltic Birch, still the same,
paint grade 1/4" birch and maple still the same.

dpb[_3_] May 9th 21 04:16 PM

Plywood trade

On 5/9/2021 9:05 AM, Leon wrote:
On 5/8/2021 9:25 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Saturday, May 8, 2021 at 1:18:35 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Fri, 7 May 2021 23:59:05 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

One way to get some plywood

https://imgur.com/gallery/kRSHfJX
I'm rich! I have a dozen sheets of 1/2" and about the same 3/4",
different grades and a couple of oak and birch.

You have inventory. Maybe you'll be rich after you sell it.

Let us know.

Oddly, I have really only seen a modest price increase in "some"
plywoods.Â*Â* MDO is still the same as it was 2 years ago and it is a
premium grade resin veneer ply. 1/2 5x5 Baltic Birch, still the same,
paint grade 1/4" birch and maple still the same.

It's construction material that has gone up/gotten scarce mostly...

Just looking at the "local" (nearest is 65 mi away) HD, they have
limited supplies in stock (typically 50 sheets, a couple products with
as much as 100) and are purchase limits on orders. 3/4" sheathing is
$65/sheet, +/-.

The whole supply chain of virtually everything is all afoul -- last
night they were showing the picture of all the container ships offshore
on west coast 'cuz aren't enough dockworkers working to begin to keep
up...didn't say if that was still because the State of CA has
restrictions still in place or that the unemployment checks are so big
it doesn't pay to work or combination or what...but they've got
everything royally mucked and it won't get better until get the states
and the feds out of it all.

J. Clarke[_5_] May 9th 21 04:35 PM

Plywood trade

On Sun, 9 May 2021 10:16:20 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 5/9/2021 9:05 AM, Leon wrote:
[...]

Which likely won't happen until the courts start telling governors and
the President that they cannot pass laws. Of course such efforts will
be resisted vigorously on the basis that those supporting them are
supporting "freedumb".

Clare Snyder May 9th 21 08:17 PM

Plywood trade

On Sun, 9 May 2021 09:05:28 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

Like I noted earlier - baltic ply is now cheaper than sheathing
grade spruce or poplar - less demand for the Baltic so no shortage.

Clare Snyder May 9th 21 08:18 PM

Plywood trade

On 5/9/2021 9:05 AM, Leon wrote:
[...]

Closer to $100 here.

dpb[_3_] May 9th 21 09:38 PM

Plywood trade

On 5/9/2021 9:05 AM, Leon wrote:
[...]

At least 20% of that would be exchange rate...interestingly enough, it
appears HD has nationwide pricing almost if not identically the same. I
just looked at a couple LA County stores figuring they would be much
higher -- but not.

[email protected] May 10th 21 12:02 AM

Plywood trade

Ed Pawlowski wrote in :
[...]

Looks good. Are the grills real or just for looks?

Sonny

[email protected] May 10th 21 12:08 AM

Plywood trade

On Sun, 9 May 2021 09:05:28 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

On 5/8/2021 9:25 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Saturday, May 8, 2021 at 1:18:35 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Fri, 7 May 2021 23:59:05 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

One way to get some plywood

https://imgur.com/gallery/kRSHfJX
I'm rich! I have a dozen sheets of 1/2" and about the same 3/4",
different grades and a couple of oak and birch.

You have inventory. Maybe you'll be rich after you sell it.

Let us know.

Oddly, I have really only seen a modest price increase in "some"
plywoods. MDO is still the same as it was 2 years ago and it is a
premium grade resin veneer ply. 1/2 5x5 Baltic Birch, still the same,
paint grade 1/4" birch and maple still the same.

Birch has gone up a lot. I don't see any of the other stuff in the
BORG. MDF has gone through the roof, too. I used a few sheets on a
wall in the basement where sheetrock could easily be damaged.

Leon[_7_] May 10th 21 03:22 PM

Plywood trade

On 5/9/2021 10:16 AM, dpb wrote:
On 5/9/2021 9:05 AM, Leon wrote:
On 5/8/2021 9:25 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Saturday, May 8, 2021 at 1:18:35 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Fri, 7 May 2021 23:59:05 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

One way to get some plywood

https://imgur.com/gallery/kRSHfJX
I'm rich! I have a dozen sheets of 1/2" and about the same 3/4",
different grades and a couple of oak and birch.

You have inventory. Maybe you'll be rich after you sell it.

Let us know.

Oddly, I have really only seen a modest price increase in "some"
plywoods.Â*Â* MDO is still the same as it was 2 years ago and it is a
premium grade resin veneer ply. 1/2 5x5 Baltic Birch, still the same,
paint grade 1/4" birch and maple still the same.

It's construction material that has gone up/gotten scarce mostly...

Yes, prices have gone up but in the southern half of Texas but there is
no shortage of building materials, construction grade lumber.

Just looking at the "local" (nearest is 65 mi away) HD, they have
limited supplies in stock (typically 50 sheets, a couple products with
as much as 100) and are purchase limits on orders.Â* 3/4" sheathing is
$65/sheet, +/-.

The whole supply chain of virtually everything is all afoul -- last
night they were showing the picture of all the container ships offshore
on west coast 'cuz aren't enough dockworkers working to begin to keep
up...didn't say if that was still because the State of CA has
restrictions still in place or that the unemployment checks are so big
it doesn't pay to work or combination or what...but they've got
everything royally mucked and it won't get better until get the states
and the feds out of it all.

--

Agreed, the lazy need to go back to work and the government needs to
quit paying them to do nothing.

Spalted Walt May 10th 21 05:23 PM

Plywood trade

DerbyDad03 wrote:

On Saturday, May 8, 2021 at 1:18:35 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Fri, 7 May 2021 23:59:05 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

One way to get some plywood

https://imgur.com/gallery/kRSHfJX

I'm rich! I have a dozen sheets of 1/2" and about the same 3/4",
different grades and a couple of oak and birch.

You have inventory. Maybe you'll be rich after you sell it.

Let us know.

I'm not saying lumber prices are outrageous but I just ordered
a pastrami sandwich for $12.95, if I want toothpicks its $16.95 !
https://is.gd/X5TYPR ;)

[email protected] May 11th 21 02:45 AM

Plywood trade

On Mon, 10 May 2021 09:22:02 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 5/9/2021 10:16 AM, dpb wrote:
On 5/9/2021 9:05 AM, Leon wrote:
[...]

There is never a shortage of anything as long as there is an
offsetting abundance of money.

[...]

Government workers too?

Leon[_7_] May 11th 21 03:19 PM

Plywood trade

On 5/10/2021 8:45 PM, wrote:
Snip

--

Agreed, the lazy need to go back to work and the government needs to
quit paying them to do nothing.

Government workers too?

A great many of them. ;~)

Sonny May 17th 21 02:45 AM

Plywood trade

Ed Pawlowski wrote in :
[...]

K, I missed this post back in May.

The grills are real. All those moldings were a tedious job to finish.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/

Latest project - I'm gonna one up Leon, here.....
I made 2 sheets of 1/2" ply from dumpster diving finds.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/

Update: I mentioned before, nephew bought a farm last year. He's doing extensive remodeling of the house. We did some work on the pool house. The farm had a 30X50 metal shop that was empty.... nephew had/has lots of stuff on the floor. I built him two 12' work benches and gave him a work table with wood vise. This dumpster dive plywood will be used to make backing for upper cabinets for one of the work benches. Gave him peg boards and lots of hangers, so his shop is getting there, slowly but surely. About 2 months ago, I bought a 3 phase Unisaw, from a school auction, for $175. Came with Unifence, side table, outfeed roller rack and a couple of miter gauges. I ordered a new motor and will replace the side table with a Formica topped one. Nephew will get this saw, also.

Sonny

[email protected] May 18th 21 12:00 AM

Plywood trade

Ed Pawlowski wrote in :
[...]

I guess so! The fit is perfect, too.

Latest project - I'm gonna one up Leon, here.....
I made 2 sheets of 1/2" ply from dumpster diving finds.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/

One's got paint on it though.

Update: I mentioned before, nephew bought a farm last year. He's doing extensive remodeling of the house. We did some work on the pool house. The farm had a 30X50 metal shop that was empty.... nephew had/has lots of stuff on the floor. I built him two 12' work benches and gave him a work table with wood vise. This dumpster dive plywood will be used to make backing for upper cabinets for one of the work benches. Gave him peg boards and lots of hangers, so his shop is getting there, slowly but surely. About 2 months ago, I bought a 3 phase Unisaw, from a school auction, for $175. Came with Unifence, side table, outfeed roller rack and a couple of miter gauges. I ordered a new motor and will replace the side table with a Formica topped one. Nephew will get this saw, also.

Can the shop be heated? AC? In my last house I was relegated to the
garage and attic. For 12-14 weeks in the summer I had to find
something else to do. ...not to mention rust.

I made sure this time I have a basement. It gets a little warm for a
few weeks but a little 8K BTU window AC cools it and provides the
dehumidifier for that period. I have a dehumidifier for May through
September. Our electricity is cheap so the cost is minimal.

Michael Trew May 18th 21 05:04 AM

Plywood trade

On 5/7/2021 11:59 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
One way to get some plywood

https://imgur.com/gallery/kRSHfJX

There is a classified ad posted in the paper, 10 sheets of new 4X8
plywood, $299 takes all. Depending on thickness, I suppose that's a
kicking deal now, and I'd go pick it up if I needed some!

Sonny May 18th 21 04:03 PM

Plywood trade

On Monday, May 17, 2021 at 6:00:38 PM UTC-5, wrote:

Can the shop be heated? AC?

I think it would be impractical to try to heat or cool that large of building any time soon, especially for their circumstances. It won't be used as a dedicated wood shop, but will accommodate several shop functions. As per the work benches, I've suggest, at least for the time being, one side of the shop for woodwork or general related work and the other side for mechanics and related work. I'm keeping an eye out, on the auctions, for a flammables cabinet.

They won't be farming, per se, but Jennifer likes to ride and wants a few horses and a few other country/farm animals. They will probably replace the chicken coup/shed, also..... a few weeks ago Jennifer had duckling hatch and the vegetable garden looks nice.

The old barn was demolished and a new one will be built, later. The whole of the farmstead needs a facelift, so all is a work in progress and I like the prospect of lending a hand with some of those efforts. Channon has his own ideas of using the salvaged barn wood for some of the house remodel and for further pool house remodel and I look forward to assisting with those projects, also.

[email protected] May 18th 21 11:57 PM

Plywood trade

On Tue, 18 May 2021 08:03:48 -0700 (PDT), Sonny
wrote:

On Monday, May 17, 2021 at 6:00:38 PM UTC-5, wrote:

Can the shop be heated? AC?

I think it would be impractical to try to heat or cool that large of building any time soon, especially for their circumstances. It won't be used as a dedicated wood shop, but will accommodate several shop functions. As per the work benches, I've suggest, at least for the time being, one side of the shop for woodwork or general related work and the other side for mechanics and related work. I'm keeping an eye out, on the auctions, for a flammables cabinet.

As I said, I really didn't like my shop being "outdoors", I know some
(Leon?) roll their shop out into the driveway to work. I did, for a
while, but _really_ didn't like it. I didn't have a lot of time to
work and not being able to at all for six months of the year wasn't
good.

They won't be farming, per se, but Jennifer likes to ride and wants a few horses and a few other country/farm animals. They will probably replace the chicken coup/shed, also..... a few weeks ago Jennifer had duckling hatch and the vegetable garden looks nice.

Tax reasons? ("gentlemen farmers")

The old barn was demolished and a new one will be built, later. The whole of the farmstead needs a facelift, so all is a work in progress and I like the prospect of lending a hand with some of those efforts. Channon has his own ideas of using the salvaged barn wood for some of the house remodel and for further pool house remodel and I look forward to assisting with those projects, also.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/

Yeah, that's going to be hard to heat.

DerbyDad03 May 20th 21 07:34 PM

Plywood trade

wrote:

[...]

And DerbyDad03, to some extent.

My (really small) shop is in the basement but my planer and tools
for breaking down sheet goods are in my garage (which hasn't seen
any kind of car except for Soap Box Derby cars in 30+ years).

I'll admit that a few flurries have landed on my planer and that I've
had to wear a heavy jacket on more than a few occasions. You do
what you have to do...

DerbyDad03 May 20th 21 08:15 PM

Plywood trade

Ed Pawlowski wrote in :
One way to get some plywood

https://imgur.com/gallery/kRSHfJX

A car salesman I play hockey with just posted his dealership got in a bunch
of new Corvettes. Guess they want to do some renovations!

Puckdropper

Yesterday, I detoured 1/2 mile to get a plate lunch at a local store. Saw an on going reroofing job with lots of ply in the dumpster. Stopped by, asked to dumpster dive and picked up 1/4 truck load of 1/2" ply "scrap", more than enough to build a work bench and upper cabinets for my nephew's shop..... about half hour's work.

When we were moving my daughter into her house last November, the neighbor was
having her roof replaced. The neighbor came over to introduce herself but I think she also
needed someone to vent to.

She told us that the roofer invoked the "Scope of Work" clause, to the tune of about $3K,
~25% of the contracted price. The roofer (supposedly) didn't know that the roof had been
skipped sheathed until they starting ripping the old roof off. That's when he told her that she
had 2 options:

1 - Pay $3K for the labor and materials to have his crew sheath the roof with plywood, or
2 - Forgo any warranty on the roof.

What doubly ****ed her off was all the scrap material she saw in the dumpster at the end of
the day. I gotta admit, some of the "cutoffs" did seem pretty big, like maybe a more efficient
layout could have been employed, but that's not for me to say.

[email protected] May 20th 21 08:38 PM

Plywood trade

Ed Pawlowski wrote in :
[...]

Or calculating the optimum cuts would cost more in labor (the dufus on
the roof probably didn't have the skills) than the plywood _was_
worth.

DerbyDad03 May 20th 21 11:15 PM

Plywood trade

Ed Pawlowski wrote in :
[...]

Oh, and there was a quite of number of dufuses on the roof at this job. At least 2 Home Depot
runs worth.

The next day I saw the homeowner talking to the "guy with the clipboard" and pointing out a number
of issues. Missing trim, crooked shingles, etc. She was *really* then.

A few months later I called the Public Works department of the city that my daughter had moved to.
The city has a list of plumbing contractors on their website. My daughter had used one of them and
they did a great job so I called the city and asked if they had a list of roofing contractors. The very
nice lady said:

"No. Plumbers have to be licensed by the city so we list those who are registered. It's a not a
recommendation list, but at least the homeowner knows that the plumber meets the city's requirements.
Roofers don't have to be licensed so there's no list on our website. However, if you promise not to tell
anyone, I can tell you who I like and who I don't."

The first company on her "do not like" list was the roofer that did the job I mentioned above. She said that
the city has received a lot of complaints about them but there is not much that the city can do. Unfortunately,
anybody with a ladder and half a hammer can roof in the city. A true case of buyer beware.

[email protected] May 21st 21 02:11 AM

Plywood trade

nice lady said:

"No. Plumbers have to be licensed by the city so we list those who are registered. It's a not a
recommendation list, but at least the homeowner knows that the plumber meets the city's requirements.
Roofers don't have to be licensed so there's no list on our website. However, if you promise not to tell
anyone, I can tell you who I like and who I don't."

The first company on her "do not like" list was the roofer that did the job I mentioned above. She said that
the city has received a lot of complaints about them but there is not much that the city can do. Unfortunately,
anybody with a ladder and half a hammer can roof in the city. A true case of buyer beware.

That's pretty much true everywhere. *Many* houses in our neighborhood
have had their roofs replaced this year. Note that these houses were
built in 2006-2008 and all have "architect's" shingles. The shingles
should be good for another eight to ten years, if the contractor did a
crap job.

One neighbor had a drive-by roofer tell them that it looked like they
had hail damage and they'd do a free inspection, promising that if
they did find problems that their insurance company would pay to
replace the roof. Of course they did find damage and for days after,
shingles were raining down from the roof. The insurance company told
them to get lost but they decided to hire the same company to replace
the roof. They still believe they got a good deal. I've seen the
same roofer on at least a dozen houses around the neighborhood (of
70ish homes).

I told my wife that if *anyone* came around and wanted to get on the
roof that my shotgun was under the bed.

Ed Pawlowski[_3_] May 21st 21 02:21 AM

Plywood trade

On 5/20/2021 9:11 PM, wrote:

[...]

Four insurance companies in Florida are dropping 50,000 homes, mostly
for roof reasons. Others are insisting roofs over only 12 years old be
replaced to continue coverage

J. Clarke[_5_] May 21st 21 02:29 AM

Plywood trade

On Thu, 20 May 2021 21:21:39 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 5/20/2021 9:11 PM, wrote:

[...]

Here's a little bit of background:
https://www.forbes.com/advisor/homeowners-insurance/florida-roof-law/

[email protected] May 21st 21 03:08 AM

Plywood trade

On 5/20/2021 9:11 PM, wrote:

[...]

I've heard that insurance fraud is rampant in Florida. I can't really
blame the insurance companies. I hope I don't have to replace mine
soon.