DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   mold on raw wood (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/686307-mold-raw-wood.html)

pyotr filipivich April 27th 21 03:42 PM

mold on raw wood

I have not had a lot of storage space, and what I have is not
weather tight. I live in the North West, we have the warm rainy
season, the cold rainy season, and the two weeks of sunshine.

So I have mold & mildew on boards. Some of which are Real
Boards(tm) from a lumber yard with the smooth faces. Some are rough
cut "exotic pallet wood" still with saw marks, and a few are from logs
which got slabbed and set aside to finish 'curing'.

The raw slabs I figure will clean up enough as I prepare them,
same for the palletwood. But the Real Boards are the concern, as I'm
not likely to scrape or plaine them before they get used.

Suggestions for what works for removing mildew from boards?
I suspect that I can't just "clean it off", expect to "get it
all", and not have it grow back. Any finishes to prevent regrowth? Or
at least seal it in?
--
pyotr filipivich
"Well, Art is Art, isn't it? Still, on the other hand,

Markem618 April 27th 21 04:00 PM

mold on raw wood

On Tue, 27 Apr 2021 07:42:05 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

I have not had a lot of storage space, and what I have is not
weather tight. I live in the North West, we have the warm rainy
season, the cold rainy season, and the two weeks of sunshine.

So I have mold & mildew on boards. Some of which are Real
Boards(tm) from a lumber yard with the smooth faces. Some are rough
cut "exotic pallet wood" still with saw marks, and a few are from logs
which got slabbed and set aside to finish 'curing'.

The raw slabs I figure will clean up enough as I prepare them,
same for the palletwood. But the Real Boards are the concern, as I'm
not likely to scrape or plaine them before they get used.

Suggestions for what works for removing mildew from boards?
I suspect that I can't just "clean it off", expect to "get it
all", and not have it grow back. Any finishes to prevent regrowth? Or
at least seal it in?

I have posted this before, Water and 2% milk at a 20 to 1 ratio is an
effective in killing mold and mildew. Works well on plants (azaleas)
should not cause any more than raised grain on the "Real Boards".

Mark

[email protected] April 27th 21 06:33 PM

mold on raw wood

wrote:

I have not had a lot of storage space, and what I have is not
weather tight. I live in the North West, we have the warm rainy
season, the cold rainy season, and the two weeks of sunshine.

So I have mold & mildew on boards. Some of which are Real
Boards(tm) from a lumber yard with the smooth faces. Some are rough
cut "exotic pallet wood" still with saw marks, and a few are from logs
which got slabbed and set aside to finish 'curing'.

The raw slabs I figure will clean up enough as I prepare them,
same for the palletwood. But the Real Boards are the concern, as I'm
not likely to scrape or plaine them before they get used.

Suggestions for what works for removing mildew from boards?
I suspect that I can't just "clean it off", expect to "get it
all", and not have it grow back. Any finishes to prevent regrowth? Or
at least seal it in?

Oxalic acid? I'll probably wash the color out of "exotics" but should
work well on "real boards". Makes pine look like new.

DerbyDad03 April 27th 21 09:44 PM

mold on raw wood

On Tuesday, April 27, 2021 at 10:42:08 AM UTC-4, pyotr filipivich wrote:
I have not had a lot of storage space, and what I have is not
weather tight. I live in the North West, we have the warm rainy
season, the cold rainy season, and the two weeks of sunshine.

So I have mold & mildew on boards. Some of which are Real
Boards(tm) from a lumber yard with the smooth faces. Some are rough
cut "exotic pallet wood" still with saw marks, and a few are from logs
which got slabbed and set aside to finish 'curing'.

The raw slabs I figure will clean up enough as I prepare them,
same for the palletwood. But the Real Boards are the concern, as I'm
not likely to scrape or plaine them before they get used.

Suggestions for what works for removing mildew from boards?
I suspect that I can't just "clean it off", expect to "get it
all", and not have it grow back. Any finishes to prevent regrowth? Or
at least seal it in?

Since I assume you'll be doing this outside, most of the prep
and clean up work will not be needed. Dress warm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8nylV4Ql3g&t=38s

pyotr filipivich April 28th 21 12:44 AM

mold on raw wood

DerbyDad03 on Tue, 27 Apr 2021 13:44:16 -0700
(PDT) typed in rec.woodworking the following:

Suggestions for what works for removing mildew from boards?
I suspect that I can't just "clean it off", expect to "get it
all", and not have it grow back. Any finishes to prevent regrowth? Or
at least seal it in?

Since I assume you'll be doing this outside, most of the prep
and clean up work will not be needed. Dress warm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8nylV4Ql3g&t=38s

Yowza. I think that is more involved than I want to get involved.

I'm downsizing: easy "fixes" or the dump are the options.
--
pyotr filipivich
This Week's Panel: Us & Them - Eliminating Them.

DerbyDad03 April 28th 21 01:17 AM

mold on raw wood

On Tuesday, April 27, 2021 at 7:44:06 PM UTC-4, pyotr filipivich wrote:
DerbyDad03 on Tue, 27 Apr 2021 13:44:16 -0700
(PDT) typed in rec.woodworking the following:

Suggestions for what works for removing mildew from boards?
I suspect that I can't just "clean it off", expect to "get it
all", and not have it grow back. Any finishes to prevent regrowth? Or
at least seal it in?

Since I assume you'll be doing this outside, most of the prep
and clean up work will not be needed. Dress warm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8nylV4Ql3g&t=38s

Yowza. I think that is more involved than I want to get involved.

I'm downsizing: easy "fixes" or the dump are the options.

You asked for "suggestions", not "suggestions that are easy to implement". ;-)

Besides, since you don't own the required apparatus anyway, you could limit
your involvement to signing the check/swiping the card.

Jack April 28th 21 03:23 PM

mold on raw wood

On 4/27/2021 10:42 AM, pyotr filipivich wrote:

Suggestions for what works for removing mildew from boards?
I suspect that I can't just "clean it off", expect to "get it
all", and not have it grow back. Any finishes to prevent regrowth? Or
at least seal it in?

When I tore out my pool, it exposed 50 feet of wolmanized 2x12's that
hadn't seen the sun in 25 years. The mildew was extensive. I got a
bucket and brushed on pure bleach, and squirted it off with a hose.
With almost no effort the boards looked better than brand new, and no
damage at all to the wood. Bleach of course, particularly undiluted
could do unwanted things I guess, but didn't in my case (Wolmanized
lumber).

Try it on a small section first and see. It is about as easy and cheap
as it gets.

Always wear good eye protection when using bleach. My wife damn near
went blind once when she splashed some in her eye.

--
Jack

pyotr filipivich April 29th 21 04:24 PM

mold on raw wood

DerbyDad03 on Tue, 27 Apr 2021 17:17:20 -0700
(PDT) typed in rec.woodworking the following:
On Tuesday, April 27, 2021 at 7:44:06 PM UTC-4, pyotr filipivich wrote:
DerbyDad03 on Tue, 27 Apr 2021 13:44:16 -0700
(PDT) typed in rec.woodworking the following:

Suggestions for what works for removing mildew from boards?
I suspect that I can't just "clean it off", expect to "get it
all", and not have it grow back. Any finishes to prevent regrowth? Or
at least seal it in?

Since I assume you'll be doing this outside, most of the prep
and clean up work will not be needed. Dress warm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8nylV4Ql3g&t=38s

Yowza. I think that is more involved than I want to get involved.

I'm downsizing: easy "fixes" or the dump are the options.

You asked for "suggestions", not "suggestions that are easy to implement". ;-)

That I did.

Besides, since you don't own the required apparatus anyway, you could limit
your involvement to signing the check/swiping the card.

Hmmmm, and as I have my own card not linked to the joint account,
SWMBO won't know. Maybe ... wives is tricksy like hobbetses. B-)

pyotr filipivich April 29th 21 04:24 PM

mold on raw wood

Jack on Wed, 28 Apr 2021 10:23:29 -0400 typed
[...]

Excellent. I've become a lot less cavalier about such things over
the years.