Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Bevel Sled construction and use. Including 5-cut method to calibrate sled.

I have used cross cut sleds and miter sleds for many years but never had a bevel cutting sled. Bevel cutting sled does the same job as miter sled. However, the length of miter sled cut is limited to the height of table saw blade, while a bevel sled cut is limited only by the size of the sled.

Found the bevel sled made it easy to make a mitred corner box that went together clean and square.

Properties of this sled that contribute to precise cuts:
1. Fence on the miter sled was calibrated by 5-cut method to get it dead square to the blade.
2. Stops on the miter sled fence ensure that the length of box pieces are exactly the same.
3. Clamps on both fences keep the material flat on the base during the cut.
4. Tight fitting UHMW runner eliminates any play between the sled and saw table.

Video showing construction of sled and how to make a box using the sled.
https://youtu.be/ZtD9_vgMeAc

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...o-3107852-.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 29 Mar 2021 00:15:02 +0000, StevenWoodward
wrote:

[...]

What I'm looking for is a click making sled.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/28/2021 7:15 PM, StevenWoodward wrote:
I have used cross cut sleds and miter sleds for many years but never had
a bevel cutting sled.Â*Â* Bevel cutting sled does the same job as miter
sled.Â* However, the length of miter sled cut is limited to the height of
table saw blade, while a bevel sled cut is limited only by the size of
the sled.

Found the bevel sled made it easy to make a mitred corner box that went
together clean and square.
Properties of this sled that contribute to precise cuts:
1. Fence on the miter sled was calibrated by 5-cut method to get it dead
square to the blade. 2. Stops on the miter sled fence ensure that the
length of box pieces are exactly the same. 3. Clamps on both fences keep
the material flat on the base during the cut.
4. Tight fitting UHMW runner eliminates any play between the sled and
saw table.

Video showing construction of sled and how to make a box using the sled.
https://youtu.be/ZtD9_vgMeAc

I'm confused. Why not just use your rip fence?

Are you going to participate in this group or is this click bait?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/29/2021 9:43 AM, Leon wrote:
On 3/28/2021 7:15 PM, StevenWoodward wrote:
I have used cross cut sleds and miter sleds for many years but never
had a bevel cutting sled.Â*Â* Bevel cutting sled does the same

job as
miter sled.Â* However, the length of miter sled cut is limited to the
height of table saw blade, while a bevel sled cut is limited only by
the size of the sled.

Found the bevel sled made it easy to make a mitred corner box that
went together clean and square.
Properties of this sled that contribute to precise cuts:
1. Fence on the miter sled was calibrated by 5-cut method to get it
dead square to the blade. 2. Stops on the miter sled fence ensure that

the length of box pieces are exactly the same. 3. Clamps on both
fences keep the material flat on the base during the cut.
4. Tight fitting UHMW runner eliminates any play between the sled and
saw table.

Video showing construction of sled and how to make a box using the sled.
https://youtu.be/ZtD9_vgMeAc

I'm confused.Â* Why not just use your rip fence?

Are you going to participate in this group or is this click bait?

For picture frames I use a gauge similar to this one.

Rockler 45 Degree Miter Sled
https://www.rockler.com/45-degree-miter-sled

With mine I extended the bar so that he thead was in the middle so I
could just flip it end to end to cut the other side of the corner. Also
add a 2" X 14" X 1"of piece of maple attach to the face of the head to
extend the support for the piece being cut.

With oposite sides of the frame Exactly the same lenght, I get perfect
mitered corners.

For a cost of $19.99 it is not worth my time o build one myself4

While I never have had a need for it Rockler has ar 22.5° Miter Sled
https://www.rockler.com/rockler-225-miter-sled

If you are doing a lot of different angles you may like the
Rockler Perfect Miter Setup Blocks

https://www.rockler.com/rockler-perf...r-setup-blocks

All of these would be easier to store that the type in the video.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/29/2021 9:55 AM, knuttle wrote:
On 3/29/2021 9:43 AM, Leon wrote:
[...]

could just flip it end to end to cut the other side of the corner.Â* Also
add a 2" X 14" X 1"of piece of maple attach to the face of the head to
extend the support for the piece being cut.

With oposite sides of the frame Exactly the same lenght, I get perfect
mitered corners.

For a cost of $19.99 it is not worth my time o build one myself4

While I never have had a need for it Rockler hasÂ* ar 22.5° Miter Sled
https://www.rockler.com/rockler-225-miter-sled

If you are doing a lot of different angles you may like the
Rockler Perfect Miter Setup Blocks

https://www.rockler.com/rockler-perf...r-setup-blocks

All of these would be easier to store that the type in the video.

I use Dubby for angles on panels. Individual degree settings are about
1/4" apart so it is very accurate.

I go a pair, left and right, about 20 years ago.

https://www.in-lineindustries.com/pr...able-saw-sled/

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Woodcraft - Apropos of no current topic

Just happened to notice the other day, for the second time in
approximately 5 years that we've "lost" a Woodcraft store in Northern
Illinois.

Have others across the country seen a decline in brick and mortar
woodworking stores in their area? Not limiting this to Woodcraft stores.

I'd never seen much traffic at that stores location which, to me at
least, seemed like a bad one. Pretty much a dead shopping center,
hidden back in the corner, not a lot of traffic. The former location, a
bit south on a busier highway had much higher traffic and visibility in
a fully occupied strip mall.

Then again, with online sales going the way they have been, I'd hate to
be a brick and mortar store for anything but maybe clothing and
perishables, groceries.

Think about it. You read or hear of a tool, you can all but touch it
via a YouTube video and see it put through its paces better than
handling it in the store. Then, if you want it, you can scout out the
best price (damn near always cheaper than in the store) and have it in a
day or two.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Just happened to notice the other day, for the second time in
approximately 5 years that we've "lost" a Woodcraft store in Northern
Illinois.

In the Houston area Woodcraft stores move locations with regularity.
Perhaps....

Have others across the country seen a decline in brick and mortar
woodworking stores in their area?Â* Not limiting this to Woodcraft stores.

In the past 10 years I have seen our wood working stores double in
number, Woodcraft and Rockler.

I'd never seen much traffic at that stores location which, to me at
least, seemed like a bad one.Â* Pretty much a dead shopping center,
hidden back in the corner, not a lot of traffic.Â* The former location, a
bit south on a busier highway had much higher traffic and visibility in
a fully occupied strip mall.

Location, Location, Location. Probably why Woodcraft stores move. One
of our oldest Woodcraft stores moves every 10 years on average. I have
know it to be in 4 different locations.

Then again, with online sales going the way they have been, I'd hate to
be a brick and mortar store for anything but maybe clothing and
perishables, groceries.

Location, Location, Location.... The closest woodcraft store has been
very busy.

Think about it.Â* You read or hear of a tool, you can all but touch it
via a YouTube video and see it put through its paces better than
handling it in the store.Â* Then, if you want it, you can scout out the
best price (damn near always cheaper than in the store) and have it in a
day or two.

That works for the home do it your self line of tools. The price
remains the same for SawStop, Festool, and a few other brands that
escape me. On line or in the store the price is the same.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks for sharing the video

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...o-3107852-.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 31 Mar 2021 10:43:19 -0500, Unquestionably Confused
wrote:

[...]

In the last five years, we've added a Woodcraft and a Rockler (two of
each now). The new Rocler is even further than the old, so I haven't
bothered. The new woodcraft is 25mi across sparsely driven county
roads (no interstates needed), so it's easy for me to get there a
couple of times a month. They're very well stocked, though they've
been having problems getting stationary tools, like everyone else.
They normally display a lot of them but lately it's been slim
pickings. I bought my lathe and drum sander out of store inventory.

We also have the independents Highland and Peachtree, both with large
showrooms (Higland's has been curb-service only for the last year).
From this, my guess would be that the hobby is doing quite well here
in Altlanta and not so much in Northern Illinois.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 31 Mar 2021 10:54:08 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet

[...]

Not that it's policy or that it doesn't happen but I haven't seen
lower prices on Laguna, Powermatic, or Jet than the brick and mortar
stores. Sometimes one will have a factory sale that other stores don't
have and sometimes shipping is included but the normal price is the
same. Hand tools are all over the place.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 31 Mar 2021 16:01:03 +0000, Daniel per
wrote:

Thanks for sharing the video

I think we have a sockpuppet joining the newsgroup.
Posted to rec.woodworking

I'm confused. Why not just use your rip fence?

Many advantages in using bevel sled over rip fence to cut bevels:
1. It would be dangerous to use the rip fence, to cut a bevel, on the end of a long narrow piece, as would be typical in making a box. The bevel sled makes this cut safe.
2. The bevel sled makes the cut perpendicular to the edge against the sled fence.
3. The bevel sled allows clamping down, of the piece to be cut, so that the cut is accurate even if the piece has a slight warp.
4. The bevel sled allows two flip stops so that sides and ends of box can be cut without changing set up.

Hope this helps

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...o-3107852-.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking

What I'm looking for is a click making sled.

Is this what you are looking for ?

https://www.forgottenwayfarms.com/fo...sled-adventure

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...o-3107852-.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 3 Apr 2021 20:31:00 +0000, StevenWoodward
wrote:

What I'm looking for is a click making sled.

Is this what you are looking for ?

Of course not. More like this:
https://adespresso.com/blog/clickbait-facebook-advertising-examples/

https://www.forgottenwayfarms.com/fo...sled-adventure

That's what homemoaners club is and always has been.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 3 Apr 2021 17:31:02 +0000, StevenWoodward
wrote:

I'm confused. Why not just use your rip fence?

Many advantages in using bevel sled over rip fence to cut bevels:
1. It would be dangerous to use the rip fence, to cut a bevel, on the end of a long narrow piece, as would be typical in making a box. The bevel sled makes this cut safe.
2. The bevel sled makes the cut perpendicular to the edge against the sled fence.
3. The bevel sled allows clamping down, of the piece to be cut, so that the cut is accurate even if the piece has a slight warp.
4. The bevel sled allows two flip stops so that sides and ends of box can be cut without changing set up.

Hope this helps

Nope. No help at all.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/3/2021 12:31 PM, StevenWoodward wrote:
I'm confused. Why not just use your rip fence?

Many advantages in using bevel sled over rip fence to cut bevels:
1. It would be dangerous to use the rip fence, to cut a bevel, on the
end of a long narrow piece, as would be typical in making a box.

BS

Â* The
bevel sled makes this cut safe.

You think so?

2. The bevel sled makes the cut
perpendicular to the edge against the sled fence. 3. The bevel sled
allows clamping down, of the piece to be cut, so that the cut is
accurate even if the piece has a slight warp. 4. The bevel sled allows
two flip stops so that sides and ends of box can be cut without changing
set up.
Hope this helps

It does not.