Russ

Default Craftsman 113.19771 radial arm saw question

Rebuilding an old saw that was given to me. Can someone provide me with
sizes (LxWxH) for these pieces:

Rear table (PN: 63675)
Spacer board (PN: 63429)
Rip fence (PN: 63432)
Front table (PN: 63674)

Thanks!

J. Clarke

Russ wrote:

Rebuilding an old saw that was given to me. Can someone provide me with
sizes (LxWxH) for these pieces:

Rear table (PN: 63675)
Spacer board (PN: 63429)
Rip fence (PN: 63432)
Front table (PN: 63674)

You might want to go over to http://www.radialarmsawrecall.com/index2.htm
and plug in your model and serial numbers. The number you gave is one for
which there is an upgrade kit available--that includes a new guard that is
a significant improvement over the old one and a new table. No rip fence
though. The recall is free, so you can't beat the price.

Unless you're trying to rebuild it to museum quality just take any sturdy
board for the fence--the fence on a radial saw is disposable. I usually
use a 1x2 or 1x3 or scrap of MDF, but sometimes use a heavier one if I need
to attach hold-downs or some other kind of fixturing to it.

The dimensions of the new table are different from the original. I put a
new table copied from the original on mine (I have the same model) before I
became aware of the recall. The dimensions are 40 inches wide, with the
rear table, spacer board, and front table 2, 8-3/4, and 19 inches deep give
or take a fraction. If you need it to the nearest 16th I think I still
have the original on the scrap pile somewhere, but it will likely take some
digging to find all three pieces.

If you don't have the Jon Eakes book on tuning radial saws
http://www.wired-2-shop.com/joneakes/ProductDetail.asp?ProdID=3&nPrdImageID=&CatID=3,
it's worth the price, and if you don't have the Mr. Sawdust book
http://www.mrsawdust.com/index.php you should get that as well.

The original table was 1" particle board, the new one is 1" MDF. The MDF is
much more satisfactory. Mr. Sawdust tells how to make an improved
table--you might want to read that before you start.

Thanks!

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
jo4hn

Russ wrote:

Rebuilding an old saw that was given to me. Can someone provide me with
sizes (LxWxH) for these pieces:

All tables are 40 in long and 3/4 in thick.

Rear table (PN: 63675) 5 in
Spacer board (PN: 63429) 2 in
Rip fence (PN: 63432) 3/4 thick and 1.5 to 2 in high
Front table (PN: 63674) 13.5 in

Thanks!

My RAS is a mid 60s vintage 113.29410. Happy sawing.
mahalo,
jo4hn

Jack Casuso

Thanks, hadn't heard about the recall. Checked my model number, and called
them. Absolutely no hassle, sending everything right out.

http://www.wired-2-shop.com/joneakes...=3&nPrdImageID
=&CatID=3,
it's worth the price, and if you don't have the Mr. Sawdust book
http://www.mrsawdust.com/index.php you should get that as well.

The original table was 1" particle board, the new one is 1" MDF. The MDF

is
much more satisfactory. Mr. Sawdust tells how to make an improved
table--you might want to read that before you start.

Thanks!

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Russ

Thanks for the detailed info, John. The part about the recall rocks! I'll
definitely be calling them later today. Free saw + free upgrade kit. Can't
beat that.

This is a new type of saw for me as I'm relatively new to woodworking. Will
the re-sized table from the recall affect the measurements on the rip scale?
Also, do you ever actually use the scales on the saw, or do you still prefer
to measure & mark by hand and then visually line up the saw? I'm leaning
towards the manual method, myself.

Thanks again.

Russ

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
Russ wrote:

[...]

Jim Bailey

YMMV on this but - I had to call them, 3 times, 2 weeks between, each, to
actually get this. Thay kept telling me they didn't have the order. And of
couorse, trusting soul I am, I never wrote down any confirmation or person's
name. Anyway - can't hurt to follow up on it - only cost is a phone call.

jim bailey

t...

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
Russ wrote:

[...]

J. Clarke

Jim Bailey wrote:

YMMV on this but - I had to call them, 3 times, 2 weeks between, each, to
actually get this. Thay kept telling me they didn't have the order. And
of couorse, trusting soul I am, I never wrote down any confirmation or
person's name. Anyway - can't hurt to follow up on it - only cost is a
phone call.

FWIW, I placed the order online using a nonstandard browser, the page
crashed in the middle of the order, I said "to Hell with it" and was quite
surprised a while later to find a big unexpected box on the doorstep.

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
Russ wrote:

[...]

J. Clarke

Russ wrote:

Thanks for the detailed info, John. The part about the recall rocks!
I'll
definitely be calling them later today. Free saw + free upgrade kit.
Can't beat that.

This is a new type of saw for me as I'm relatively new to woodworking.
Will the re-sized table from the recall affect the measurements on the rip
scale?

Yes.

Also, do you ever actually use the scales on the saw, or do you
still prefer
to measure & mark by hand and then visually line up the saw? I'm leaning
towards the manual method, myself.

I don't think I've ever used the scales.

Thanks again.

Russ

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
Russ wrote:

[...]

Lee Gordon

My mileage varied from yours. Rather than order on the web, I called the
toll-free number on the website, spoke to a nice woman who told me the stuff
would arrive in two separate boxes in about a week's time. It arrived in
just 3 days. No problems whatsoever.

Lee

LRod

On Thu, 9 Sep 2004 17:45:00 -0400, "Lee Gordon"
wrote:

My mileage varied from yours. Rather than order on the web, I called the
toll-free number on the website, spoke to a nice woman who told me the stuff
would arrive in two separate boxes in about a week's time. It arrived in
just 3 days. No problems whatsoever.

Did you have to give them a serial number?

- -
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net
skeezics

On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 18:35:57 GMT, "Russ"
wrote:

Thanks for the detailed info, John. The part about the recall rocks! I'll
definitely be calling them later today. Free saw + free upgrade kit. Can't
beat that.

This is a new type of saw for me as I'm relatively new to woodworking. Will
the re-sized table from the recall affect the measurements on the rip scale?
Also, do you ever actually use the scales on the saw, or do you still prefer
to measure & mark by hand and then visually line up the saw? I'm leaning
towards the manual method, myself.

Thanks again.

Russ

not all will qualify! mine didnt. sob... oh well. the saw works fine
as it is.

skeez
mnterpfan

Russ,
I have the exact same saw. I ordered my recall kit online. The website
worked great for me and the kit arrived pretty quickly. It was nice to get
a whole new table, which I wasn't expecting. I had planned on buying my own
lumber and building a new one anyway. I probably still will build a
sacrificial surface.

The ripscale is affected. The reason for the new table top is that the new
guard takes more space when returned to the home position. I plan to create
my own offset indicator so that the scale will work properly.

As this type of saw is new to you, (me too), you might be interested in
reading books about them. I highly recommend the "Radial Arm Saw Techniques"
by Roger W. Cliffe. I also purchased "Magic of Your Radial Arm Saw" by De
Christo, but don't really think it is worthwhile. Both of these books are
out of print but can be obtained through Amazon Marketplace.

As John points out below, the Mr Sawdust book is highly recommended too. I
plan to purchase that one soon. The Dewalt users group Radial Arm Saw Forum
use it as their bible, it seems.

Good luck with the saw.

Eric

PS. One week after getting my Craftsman, I found a Delta/Rockwell 14" for
$50 at a garage sale. I couldn't pass on it. It has a 3phase motor, but
thats not that big of a deal.

"Russ" wrote

"J. Clarke" wrote in message

If you don't have the Jon Eakes book on tuning radial saws

http://www.wired-2-shop.com/joneakes...=3&nPrdImageID
=&CatID=3,
it's worth the price, and if you don't have the Mr. Sawdust book
http://www.mrsawdust.com/index.php you should get that as well.

The original table was 1" particle board, the new one is 1" MDF. The MDF

is
much more satisfactory. Mr. Sawdust tells how to make an improved
table--you might want to read that before you start.

Lee Gordon

LRod ...

Did you have to give them a serial number?

I can't recall for certain but I believe I did. I assume they maintain a
database so that people don't keep sending in for free tabletops after
chewing up the first set.

Lee

Russ

I just called the 800# (800-511-2628). Pretty painless. The lady asked for
model & serial number. Then she got my name and address. That was it.
I'll post a followup when the package arrives.

Thanks for all the responses.

Russ

Posted to rec.woodworking

How do you get free upgrade kit?

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...on-266067-.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/22/2021 8:15 AM, Von wrote:
How do you get free upgrade kit?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 22 Mar 2021 13:15:02 +0000, Von
wrote:

How do you get free upgrade kit?

Come to my house and take it (still in its box) away, along with the
saw. Please! Gotta take both, though.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 22 Mar 2021 09:14:05 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 3/22/2021 8:15 AM, Von wrote:
How do you get free upgrade kit?

Actually, he did. In fact the referenced article is 16 years old.
Another homemoaners troll.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Where do you call on the recall?

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...on-266067-.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 23 Mar 2021 15:01:02 +0000, Von
wrote:

Where do you call on the recall?

http://www.radialarmsawrecall.com/

Note--the upgrade kits aren't available anymore. They'll pay you 50
bucks to cut the cord--read the FAQ and the instructions before you do
anything.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Where do you call on the recall?

http://www.radialarmsawrecall.com/

Note--the upgrade kits aren't available anymore. They'll pay you 50
bucks to cut the cord--read the FAQ and the instructions before you do
anything.

I found this interesting from the article on the hommoaners club:
;-)

J. Clarke
posted 16 years ago

You might want to go over to and plug in your model and serial
[...]
If you don't have the Jon Eakes book on tuning radial saws , it's
worth the price, and if you don't have the Mr. Sawdust book you should