Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Who Is Willing To Make This Cut?

Does this picture make anyone besides me just a bit queasy?

https://www.familyhandyman.com/wp-co...2018/02/06.jpg

It was accompanied with the following text:

"Attach a stop with a clamp at 7 in. along the miter gauge to get
consistent cuts."

I think I'll use the "stop block on fence" technique.
Posted to rec.woodworking

That's not totally safe. I'd use a different technique.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 20 Jan 2021 17:37:23 -0800 (PST), Sonny
wrote:

That's not totally safe. I'd use a different technique.

Like an SCMS?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, January 21, 2021 at 4:18:12 AM UTC-5, Puckdropper wrote:
Sonny wrote in news:ba8439dd-e908-40d8-98b9-
:
That's not totally safe. I'd use a different technique.

Sonny

I wouldn't trust it to be repeatable either. If that 2x4 is not tight to
the table, the work piece can slide under and your cut will be off ever so
slightly.

Puckdropper

It does not appear that the image is taken during the sawing action, looks like just the tightening of the clamp. I don't have a real concern with the set-up other than, as said before, repeatability or even consistency during the cut. Agree that it looks like the leading edge might be inclined to "dive" under the stop block. Reversing the bevel, with the leading edge up high, might offer a more consistent approach...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 21 Jan 2021 09:18:08 GMT, Puckdropper
wrote:

Sonny wrote in news:ba8439dd-e908-40d8-98b9-
:

That's not totally safe. I'd use a different technique.

Sonny

I wouldn't trust it to be repeatable either. If that 2x4 is not tight to
the table, the work piece can slide under and your cut will be off ever so
slightly.

How do you get the 2x4 tight without lifting the miter gauge in the
slot? It looks like a bad idea all around.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
Sonny wrote in news:ba8439dd-e908-40d8-98b9-
:

That's not totally safe. I'd use a different technique.

Sonny

I wouldn't trust it to be repeatable either. If that 2x4 is not tight to
the table, the work piece can slide under and your cut will be off ever so
slightly.

How do you get the 2x4 tight without lifting the miter gauge in the
slot? It looks like a bad idea all around.

I don't like the idea of the piece being trapped between the stop block
and the blade. It just doesn't look safe to me.

What would happen if the piece got a little loose and shifted/"twisted"
sideways a bit?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, January 21, 2021 at 10:44:11 AM UTC-5, Brian Welch wrote:
On Thursday, January 21, 2021 at 4:18:12 AM UTC-5, Puckdropper wrote:
Sonny wrote in news:ba8439dd-e908-40d8-98b9-
:
That's not totally safe. I'd use a different technique.

Sonny

I wouldn't trust it to be repeatable either. If that 2x4 is not tight to
the table, the work piece can slide under and your cut will be off ever so
slightly.

Puckdropper

It does not appear that the image is taken during the sawing action,
looks like just the tightening of the clamp.

Seriously? What do you think happens next?

I don't have a real concern with the set-up other than, as said before,
repeatability or even consistency during the cut. Agree that it looks
like the leading edge might be inclined to "dive" under the stop block.
Reversing the bevel, with the leading edge up high, might offer a more
consistent approach...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, January 21, 2021 at 10:00:58 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Not sure, let's watch the video together and find out...
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
Sonny wrote in news:ba8439dd-e908-40d8-98b9-
:

That's not totally safe. I'd use a different technique.

Sonny

I wouldn't trust it to be repeatable either. If that 2x4 is not tight to
the table, the work piece can slide under and your cut will be off ever so
slightly.

How do you get the 2x4 tight without lifting the miter gauge in the
slot? It looks like a bad idea all around.

I don't like the idea of the piece being trapped between the stop block
and the blade. It just doesn't look safe to me.

What would happen if the piece got a little loose and shifted/"twisted"
sideways a bit?

Good point...one reason why I would have preferred the reverse bevel cut...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, January 22, 2021 at 7:12:34 AM UTC-5, Brian Welch wrote:
[...]

A properly functioning human brain has the ability to combine current inputs,
be they imagery, written words, or both, and combine them with past experiences
to imagine/predict what will happen in the future.

When I look at an image that includes a table saw, miter gauge, a piece of wood, etc.
and then read the words "Attach a stop with a clamp at 7 in. along the miter gauge to
get consistent cuts" my brain draws on past experiences with those objects and
helps me to put together a mental image of what comes next.

My brain tells me that sometime in the near future the person in the picture is going
to turn on the table saw and push the miter gauge forward, resulting in an "sawing
action", to use your words. Sure, he may pause for a sip of coffee, don a pair of safety
glasses, or maybe even take a nap, but based on the image and the words provided,
I am pretty confident that a "sawing action" is relatively imminent.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
Sonny wrote in news:ba8439dd-e908-40d8-98b9-
:

That's not totally safe. I'd use a different technique.

Sonny

I wouldn't trust it to be repeatable either. If that 2x4 is not tight to
the table, the work piece can slide under and your cut will be off ever so
slightly.

How do you get the 2x4 tight without lifting the miter gauge in the
slot? It looks like a bad idea all around.

I don't like the idea of the piece being trapped between the stop block
and the blade. It just doesn't look safe to me.

What would happen if the piece got a little loose and shifted/"twisted"
sideways a bit?

Yes! It is a trapped cut and could easily kick back, especially if the
piece is not held "securely" in place.
If the operator held the piece "securely" in place less danger but still
a bad idea.
The cut needs to be done on the opposite side of the blade.

The stop block is not that big of an issue, assuming that it is only for
reference and the piece, again, is securely in place before the cut.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, January 22, 2021 at 9:19:14 AM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

well put...so much for my properly functioning brain...
grin
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
Sonny wrote in news:ba8439dd-e908-40d8-98b9-
:

That's not totally safe. I'd use a different technique.

Sonny

I wouldn't trust it to be repeatable either. If that 2x4 is not tight to
the table, the work piece can slide under and your cut will be off ever so
slightly.
How do you get the 2x4 tight without lifting the miter gauge in the
slot? It looks like a bad idea all around.

I don't like the idea of the piece being trapped between the stop block
and the blade. It just doesn't look safe to me.

What would happen if the piece got a little loose and shifted/"twisted"
sideways a bit?

Good point...one reason why I would have preferred the reverse bevel cut...

It looks like he's using a small saw that doesn't have a lot of power
so there's little actual danger--the thing will likely stall instead
of throwing the workpiece. The trouble with learning on small tools
is that you learn to expect a stall rather than the workpiece being
thrown into the next county or your liver, whichever it hits first.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On Thursday, January 21, 2021 at 9:58:30 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Thursday, January 21, 2021 at 8:19:47 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Thu, 21 Jan 2021 09:18:08 GMT, Puckdropper
wrote:

[SNIP]

What would happen if the piece got a little loose and shifted/"twisted"
sideways a bit?

Good point...one reason why I would have preferred the reverse bevel cut...

It looks like he's using a small saw that doesn't have a lot of power
so there's little actual danger--the thing will likely stall instead
of throwing the workpiece. The trouble with learning on small tools
is that you learn to expect a stall rather than the workpiece being
thrown into the next county or your liver, whichever it hits first.

I don't see that much of a kickback threat. Unless there is some waste
or other object underneath the piece being cut off, the force being
applied by the saw blade is pushing the workpiece down and rearward into
the auxiliary fence on the miter gauge.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Unquestionably Confused writes:
I don't see that much of a kickback threat. Unless there is some
waste or other object underneath the piece being cut off, the force
being applied by the saw blade is pushing the workpiece down and
rearward into the auxiliary fence on the miter gauge.

Don't underestimate the cheapness of cheap tools, though. Saw binds,
pushes part back, twists "backing board", rips out small wood screws,
overwhelms bolt on miter gauge, twists it out of the slot, throws the
whole ensemble right at the operator.

Always plan for the worst.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

Jeez, IYHO I guess. I had more issues with less HP saws than with
higher HP saws. Size has nothing to do with it.

My experience is that a lower power saw and blade will slowdown and
catch the wood to throw it back. With more power the blade simply cuts
through the tight spot.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
On Thu, 21 Jan 2021 09:18:08 GMT, Puckdropper
wrote:

[SNIP]

What would happen if the piece got a little loose and shifted/"twisted"
sideways a bit?
Good point...one reason why I would have preferred the reverse bevel
cut...

It looks like he's using a small saw that doesn't have a lot of power
so there's little actual danger--the thing will likely stall instead
of throwing the workpiece.Â* The trouble with learning on small tools
is that you learn to expect a stall rather than the workpiece being
thrown into the next county or your liver, whichever it hits first.

I don't see that much of a kickback threat.Â* Unless there is some waste
or other object underneath the piece being cut off, the force being
applied by the saw blade is pushing the workpiece down and rearward into
the auxiliary fence on the miter gauge.

Any time the work piece is captured under a blade and against a solid
stop the potential is exaggerated for kick back.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/22/2021 10:36 AM, Brian Welch wrote:
[...]

Don't be discourage by some of the comments. You should have seen the
flack I took when I thought the SawStop was a good idea 20 years ago.
Those people probably voted for Biden. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 22 Jan 2021 13:17:16 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

[...]

Blasphemy! No one said that SawStop wasn't a good idea, only that it
was too expensive and it's creator an asshole. Only Elon Musk even
approaches Gass in that department.

Biden? sheesh
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
Sonny wrote in news:ba8439dd-e908-40d8-98b9-
:

That's not totally safe. I'd use a different technique.

Sonny

I wouldn't trust it to be repeatable either. If that 2x4 is not tight to
the table, the work piece can slide under and your cut will be off ever so
slightly.

How do you get the 2x4 tight without lifting the miter gauge in the
slot? It looks like a bad idea all around.

I don't like the idea of the piece being trapped between the stop block
and the blade. It just doesn't look safe to me.

What would happen if the piece got a little loose and shifted/"twisted"
sideways a bit?

Exactly! The same reason one doesn't use a miter gauge and a fence at
the same time.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
Sonny wrote in news:ba8439dd-e908-40d8-98b9-
:

That's not totally safe. I'd use a different technique.

Sonny

I wouldn't trust it to be repeatable either. If that 2x4 is not tight to
the table, the work piece can slide under and your cut will be off ever so
slightly.
How do you get the 2x4 tight without lifting the miter gauge in the
slot? It looks like a bad idea all around.

I don't like the idea of the piece being trapped between the stop block
and the blade. It just doesn't look safe to me.

What would happen if the piece got a little loose and shifted/"twisted"
sideways a bit?

Good point...one reason why I would have preferred the reverse bevel cut...

Better to use a sled for small parts.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet writes:
[...]

The flack was for supporting someone who felt that government
should mandate his product in all table saws.

Those people probably voted for Biden. ;~)

Snide comment noted.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
On Thu, 21 Jan 2021 09:18:08 GMT, Puckdropper
wrote:

[SNIP]

[...]

That is exactly what made me queasy when I came across the image.

BTW...I'm was not especially surprised, considering the source: The Family
Handyman.

I had a subscription to that magazine long before the web was what it is
today. I was never very impressed with their ideas and methods. Every
now and then a web search pops up a hit from the Family Handyman site,
and as you can see from that image, their staff/contributors still don't
have a clue.

Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

Here you go, let me know when you want to watch it.... ;-)

https://www.familyhandyman.com/proje...exagon-shelves
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

Even if what you say about low powered saws and kick back is true...

The image I posted was from a set of instructions for making octagon
frames. The entity that posted it (Family Handyman) has no idea how
much power the saw owned by any given reader has.

https://www.familyhandyman.com/proje...exagon-shelves

I'm pretty sure that they didn't publish an unsafe method for making a
cut based on the assumption that everyone who tries the technique is
using a low powered saw. I'm pretty sure it was published due to low
powered knowledge.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Now Now. :~) Some said it was vapor ware and would not come to market.
Some said that it would be having many false triggers.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/22/2021 2:13 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
[...]

Some times, some times, not often some times the government does
something good. I did not like the tactic by the inventor so much as
the government mandating this regardless.

Those people probably voted for Biden. ;~)

Snide comment noted.

;~)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/22/2021 2:37 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

SawStop! AND Without the riving knife. Jeez!!!

He should have used the miter gauge on the other side of the blade along
with a spacer clamped to the rip fence for repeated length cuts.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

I once watched Brad Stag, On the Ultimate Work Shop, IIRC, demonstrate
how to cut a dado with a miter gauge and the guard in place. He had a
puzzled look when the wood did not pass past the guard and he had to
back the piece out of the cut. Idiot, and the censors did not correct that.
Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 writes:
[...]

It is never safe to trap a workpiece under the blade. This particular
cut, if the front-edge of the workpiece lifts just slightly, the back
side of the blade will lift and throw it. Angled cuts should always
be made where the blade can't trap the workpiece.

The irony here is that it's a left-tilt saw, where you're supposed to
place the workpiece on the fence side and the cutoff on the free side.
Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote:

BTW...I'm was not especially surprised, considering the source: The Family
Handyman.

I had a subscription to that magazine long before the web was what it is
today. I was never very impressed with their ideas and methods. Every
now and then a web search pops up a hit from the Family Handyman site,
and as you can see from that image, their staff/contributors still don't
have a clue.

I was going to make a post along those lines. I had a 2-year
subscription to Family Handyman 15 years ago and felt like I
"outgrew it" before it expired. The articles seemed "shallow".
No matter what you want to do, there has to be a better choice (of
magazine)!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 22 Jan 2021 17:50:18 -0500, Bill wrote:

DerbyDad03 wrote:

BTW...I'm was not especially surprised, considering the source: The Family
Handyman.

I had a subscription to that magazine long before the web was what it is
today. I was never very impressed with their ideas and methods. Every
now and then a web search pops up a hit from the Family Handyman site,
and as you can see from that image, their staff/contributors still don't
have a clue.

I was going to make a post along those lines. I had a 2-year
subscription to Family Handyman 15 years ago and felt like I
"outgrew it" before it expired. The articles seemed "shallow".
No matter what you want to do, there has to be a better choice (of
magazine)!

I've not seen one. Maybe it's just me but I don't learn much about
woodworking from text (or audio). It's too much of a hands-on and
visual hobby. YouTube could be much better if the Youtubers weren't
so damned verbose. Fifteen minutes of yakking before the power even
gets turned on.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

Censors? His producers should have backed that footage out. If they
were too stupid, his agent sure should have demanded it.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/22/2021 4:50 PM, Bill wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:

BTW...I'm was not especially surprised, considering the source: The
Family
Handyman.

I had a subscription to that magazine long before the web was what it is
today. I was never very impressed with their ideas and methods.Â* Every
now and then a web search pops up a hit from the Family Handyman site,
and as you can see from that image, their staff/contributors still don't
have a clue.

I was going to make a post along those lines. I had a 2-year
subscription to Family Handyman 15 years ago and felt like I
"outgrew it" before it expired. The articles seemed "shallow".
No matter what you want to do, there has to be a better choice (of
magazine)!

I recall when that magazine first cam out and even 10 years later you
could still become a "Charter" Member.
Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote:

[...]

YouTube does have some good stuff but jeez, like you said, the yacking.

Ron Paulk has a great set up for a mobile shop and work bench. I bought
the plans and built one. That bench has a foot print of about 24 sq ft
when set up and about 4 sq feet when put away. And very sturdy.
But jeez he explains simple things 14 different ways. He could
literally shorten his videos by 75% and nothing would be left out.
Then the beginners with their new saw. LOL They are experts, because
they have a new saw.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

Yes producers, that is what I meant to say. The producers should have
censored that part.
What really got me was that they started each show with how he was a
veteran contractor with years of on the job experience. After seeing
that I would not have been surprised if some one with more experience
had to show him how to turn the saw on.

OH! And then there was the guy that slopped together weekend projects
and insisted on calling his SCMS a Radial Arm saw.
Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote:

[...]

Heard said by a YouTuber:

"I want to answer this properly, in 27 different ways, all of them over 35 minutes long."

Why was the YouTuber so good at handling cows?

Because he was used to milking content.