Posted to rec.woodworking

Default KV GS4270 Drawer Slides No Longer Fully Close

About 5 years ago I installed 8 sets of the Knape & Vogt GS4270 full extension, soft close drawer slides.

One set, the one on the most frequently used drawer, no longer fully closes on its own. When I give the drawer its normal push, it glides to about 1/2" from fully closed and then stops. The soft close mechanism does engage, it just doesn't pull the drawer all the way closed. A gentle push gets it closed, but it's a "manual close" i.e. I don't feel the mechanism taking over..

I can "fix" the soft close issue by fully extending the drawer (the standard full extension reset method) but this only solves the soft close issue for a day or two, probably some X number of usages.

I called KV tech support and other than "make sure all the screws are tight" and "make sure nothing has shifted inside the cabinet", he had no other suggestions. When I asked about lubrication, he was pretty emphatic about not trying that.

Unless someone has a suggestion, I think replacement may be my only option.
Posted to rec.woodworking

.

I can "fix" the soft close issue by fully extending the drawer (the standar=
d full extension reset method) but this only solves the soft close issue fo=
r a day or two, probably some X number of usages.

I called KV tech support and other than "make sure all the screws are tight=
" and "make sure nothing has shifted inside the cabinet", he had no other s=
uggestions. When I asked about lubrication, he was pretty emphatic about n=
ot trying that.

Unless someone has a suggestion, I think replacement may be my only option.

Another option, of course, is to live with it. Seems a small thing (1/2").
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 19 Jan 2021 19:38:19 GMT, (Scott Lurndal)
wrote:

DerbyDad03 writes:
[...]

That may depend on the user's level of precision (or perhaps OCD ? ;-)

However, OCD is a excellent trait for a dentist. A few years ago, I
got a call from my then dentist "Don't bother coming tomorrow. Your
new bridge arrived today and I'm not happy with it so I sent it back.
I'll call when the replacement gets here."
The replacement fit fine, both on the tooth posts and in mesg with the
teeth avove it. My current dentist is close to that level of OCD -
but then he was recommended by the previous dentist ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/19/2021 10:28 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Perhaps exchange the troublesome rails with the rails from a drawer that
is used less frequently.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

DerbyDad03 writes:
[...]

I had a couple like that!! They were painless!!

Posted to rec.woodworking

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

[...]

I'd try cleaning everything in the slides... wheels, tracks, stops, anything
that pivots. Perhaps with denatured alcohol on a course rag or a stiff
sponge. It is amazing how much fine crud can accumulate over time...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, January 19, 2021 at 11:39:13 PM UTC-5, John Grossbohlin wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the suggestion.

I took an interim step and blasted the slides with a 90 PSI air hose. There
was definitely some crud flying around. There was also evidence of some
type of lubrication, which I fear a full-fledge cleaning will remove.

If the blow-out doesn't help, I'll try the cleaning and then re-lubricate the
slides. Even though KV tech support didn't recommend that, it's not like
I care if I somehow ruin the slides. They don't work properly at this point
anyway.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

DerbyDad03 writes:
[...]

I had one about a year ago. It was all done in the office. Less than
two hours and out. No pain at all. Dentistry is amazing these days.
Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

If they aren't too much trouble to remove from the cabinet and drawer it
might be worth soaking them down and using a brush to get into the nooks and
crannies. I'd think a LITTLE light or dry lubricant wouldn't hurt in the
bearings and on any pivot points. You don't want to attract any more crud!

I've had to do a lot of that type of thing in recent months... I have come
to the conclusion that I must be getting old (or am) as it seems everything
I own needs to be taken apart, cleaned, parts replaced as needed, and
reassembled... For example, my Porter Cable circular saw almost got me when
the blade guard stuck. My Arrow hammer stapler kept jamming. The top blade
guide bearing on my 18" band saw froze up with gunk. The pull starter on my
snowblower needed to be cleaned and repaired and the skids replaced. I had
to do a valve job on the snowblower too as the exhaust valve wasn't closing.
Much of the lawn mower had to be taken apart, cleaned (even with
electrolysis), lubed and reassembled. The list of gunked up stuff goes on
and on! I've been doing a lot of that kind of work at my parents' house
too... They've got a lead on me. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/19/2021 12:28 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

I've never looked to see but I'd presume there's a number of cycles
design limit -- possible it is just wore out. I also have never
investigated just how the self-close mechanism works...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 20 Jan 2021 17:38:47 -0600, dpb wrote:

[...]

I think this is one of those deals where you pull one out, inspect it,
and based on the results of the inspection proceed from there. Who
knows, it may turn out that a few bucks spent at the local skate
emporium will have them working better than ever.
Posted to rec.woodworking

--

I hope that 5 years of normal kitchen use isn't "designed in". In fact, it's
5 years of use by just 2 "empty nesters". I hate to think how often I'd be
Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

Ohhh.. GSlide slides. I have about 7 drawers in as many pieces of
furniture that have this issue.

And I know what the problem is. Mostly product design.

The drawer side of the slide has a plastic guide that engages the
plastic pin on the cabinet side of the slide. The cabinet side pin
slides into a hole on the plastic piece of the drawer side of the slide.

After time and in particular after 3~6 years, the pin wears down on the
cabinet side of the slide and or the hole wears on the drawer side of
the slide. When this happens the pin does not properly engage the hole
and "slips out" because of the spring loaded resistance on the self
close feature.

The solution is to replace the whole slide because both the pin and hole
are worn

OR shim either the drawer or cabinet side of the slide to force a closer
fit. And this will likely be short lived. And difficult to determine
where the shim needs to be placed.

When you open the drawer it has resistance and then you probably hear a
slick and the drawer opens more freely. This happens in the first inch
or two of travel. The pin is engaged in the beginning but slips out of
the hole before it reaches its outer travel limit and locks in place.
It slips out and returns to the closed position. When you close the
drawer the other side of the drawer slide works as designed and pulls
the drawer closed up until the last quarter inch or so. This is where
the bad slide tries to reengage the pin and hole, there is more
resistance at that point.

You can manually reach in there and pull the pin forward to its forward
limit of travel and that will work a few times.

Take a look at this. It pretty much explains what I have said above.

And this is the brand slide I am currently using on.

The actual KV 8450 slides are a better design too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOIlJYlcXXk

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, January 22, 2021 at 10:44:29 AM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
[...]

I knew you'd jump in here eventually. ;-)

How come you didn't know about the design flaw back in 2016 when you
recommended the slides to Mike? (Don't worry...I'm kidding!)

From Feb 3, 2016, 12:44:56 AM

"I have been using these side full extension soft close slides for about
5 years."

http://www.cabinethardware.com/G-Sli...ose-p/1012.htm

Is Mike still around?

BTW...I'm getting ready to install a couple of drawers in my daughter's base cabinets
using the KV Undermount slides that I used in my own kitchen a few years back. The
KV MUV+ HD (120lb) slides are beasts. The drawers are 22" d x 31" w.

One of our drawers has been filled with glass baking dishes, large ceramic bowls, etc.
Heavy stuff. 3+ years and the drawer still glides like butter. The design of those are
totally different so I hope they won't develop the same issue as the G-Slides.

The last coat of finish goes on my daughter's set tonight and then it's 2.5 hour drive to
install. Sure hope I got my measurements right the last time I was there. :-0

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/22/2021 3:16 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Well IIRC they were still mostly working and could be reset. I thought
it was a fluke back then...
Then I thought it was global warming and the effects on the pieces I
built. Then, you know, it turns out it might have been climate change
instead of global warming.
Then seeing the video for the first time a few weeks ago, hummmm, the
slides are poop!
If you defeat the self close/soft close feature the slide still work well.

Or call KV and tell them you have their slide that has failed. Life
time warranty.

From Feb 3, 2016, 12:44:56 AM

"I have been using these side full extension soft close slides for about
5 years."

http://www.cabinethardware.com/G-Sli...ose-p/1012.htm

Is Mike still around?

Mike?

Cabinet makers hardware years ago became Cornerstone and they still
operate under that name. BUT they were bought out by Richelieu 4~5
years ago and there was a big turn over on employees.

BTW...I'm getting ready to install a couple of drawers in my daughter's base cabinets
using the KV Undermount slides that I used in my own kitchen a few years back. The
KV MUV+ HD (120lb) slides are beasts. The drawers are 22" d x 31" w.

Swingman used that style slide when he and I were building kitchens for
the houses he was building.
IIRC they are kinda finicky/particular about drawer size but work like a
charm when installed. And he was using a brand that I do not recall,
close to $40 a pair, and the drawer sides had to be 1~2 inches shorter
than the opening.

One of our drawers has been filled with glass baking dishes, large ceramic bowls, etc.
Heavy stuff. 3+ years and the drawer still glides like butter. The design of those are
totally different so I hope they won't develop the same issue as the G-Slides.

I think the GSlide issue is that the "catch" pin on the cabinet side has
to engage the hole on the side of the drawer side of the slide. Most of
the better ones including the one that is from Hardware Resources have a
pin that engages the end of the slide attached to the drawer. And the
those have steel pins.

The last coat of finish goes on my daughter's set tonight and then it's 2.5 hour drive to
install. Sure hope I got my measurements right the last time I was there. :-0

Boy howdy. I just finished 5 drawer carcass units to fit inside the
bottom of the bottom cabinets. I left myself 1/4" clearance to slide
them in. 4 have 3 drawers, 1 has 1 drawer. And after that 9 more
regular drawers to build.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, January 23, 2021 at 3:24:43 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
[...]

From Feb 3, 2016, 12:44:56 AM

"I have been using these side full extension soft close slides for about
5 years."

http://www.cabinethardware.com/G-Sli...ose-p/1012.htm

Is Mike still around?

Mike?

Yeah, actually -MIKE- was his handle. The drummer. Mike Radcliff, per his
website. Doesn't look like his drum site has been updated in a while.

His sig was:

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

I did a quick search in the wRec for mikedrumsDOT.com and it
looks like he vanished mid-2019. No new posts after that, at
least according to a Google Groups search.

Cabinet makers hardware years ago became Cornerstone and they still
operate under that name. BUT they were bought out by Richelieu 4~5
years ago and there was a big turn over on employees.

The KV MUV+ HD undermounts I just bought came from Woodworkers
Express. They had the best price this time around. I spoke to their
customer service reps a couple of times and they were real nice.

BTW...I'm getting ready to install a couple of drawers in my daughter's base cabinets
using the KV Undermount slides that I used in my own kitchen a few years back. The
KV MUV+ HD (120lb) slides are beasts. The drawers are 22" d x 31" w.

Swingman used that style slide when he and I were building kitchens for
the houses he was building.
IIRC they are kinda finicky/particular about drawer size but work like a
charm when installed. And he was using a brand that I do not recall,
close to $40 a pair, and the drawer sides had to be 1~2 inches shorter
than the opening.

It must have been the KV's. If I recall correctly, he recommended them. And yes,
you loose some width. Interior drawer width for 5/8" material has to be
cabinet opening minus 1 5/8". It varies by material size. $37/pair for 22"
plus ~$3/pair for the mounting clips.

What I found with my drawers is that the loss of width and depth doesn't
really matter. With the drawers you can keep the contents so much more
organized that you don't need as much space. e.g. *Always* re-nesting the
mixing bowls when you put one or two away - because it's so easy - as
opposed to just shoving them back into the cabinet because you don't
want to get down on the floor to find their mates.

[...]

As noted earlier, the measurements on the KV undermounts have to be
pretty exact. As long as the sizing of my daughter's house is perfect or
too small, I'll be fine. *My* stick built cabinets had a fixed bottom shelf and a
fixed top shelf. I just laid the slides on the shelves and screwed them down.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/23/2021 3:37 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

From Feb 3, 2016, 12:44:56 AM

"I have been using these side full extension soft close slides for about
5 years."

http://www.cabinethardware.com/G-Sli...ose-p/1012.htm

Is Mike still around?

Mike?

Yeah, actually -MIKE- was his handle. The drummer. Mike Radcliff, per his
website. Doesn't look like his drum site has been updated in a while.

His sig was:

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)

YES! I remember Mike now. I thought you were referring to Mike at the
slide store. ;~)

--
[...]

No, I don't think KV, it was a weird name that I had not heard of. Now
he may have switched later on.

And I meant, Shorter in height. The depth front to back has to be exact
to engage the back hook on the cabinet side of the slide.

[...]

My daughter's cabinets have a fixed bottom, but an adjustable top shelf.
I plan to bring a piece of 3/4" ply and pocket screw it into the sides of her
cabinet to make a shelf if the drawer doesn't "reach" the sides. Heck, I may
use a shelf anyway and not depend on the sides of the cabinet alone to
hold the slides. A half dozen pocket screws on each side ought to support
a shelf quite nicely.

Here is what I just finished and will be installing later today.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...in/dateposted/
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, January 24, 2021 at 2:23:51 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
[...]

From Feb 3, 2016, 12:44:56 AM

[...]

What is that going into? It's 3 separate units, right?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/24/2021 2:19 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

From Feb 3, 2016, 12:44:56 AM

[...]

There are 5 units, One is on top of the other on the end.
These will go into the lower kitchen cabinets. I removed the center
stiles and the fixed shelves. No more crawling into the bottom cabinets
for the customer.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, January 24, 2021 at 6:10:58 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
[...]

From Feb 3, 2016, 12:44:56 AM

[...]

Oh, I thought the 3-across section on the left was one big unit, then the
2 high stack on the right.

They look great. I hope the install goes/went great.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/24/2021 6:25 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

From Feb 3, 2016, 12:44:56 AM

[...]

It went well, just like I actually measured the fit. LOL
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, January 25, 2021 at 2:17:11 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
[...]

From Feb 3, 2016, 12:44:56 AM

[...]

I hope the same for me next Saturday. I have some minor electrical work to do, and
I need to install a garbage disposal, both of which I *should* do before installing
the drawers. I'll need the light and I'll need the hardware stores to be open. However,
unless I at least test fit the drawers first thing, I'll be distracted all day thinking about
them.

How much do you want to bet that I least remeasure the openings within 5 minutes
of my arrival late Friday night? I probably won't be able to sleep unless I do. ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/25/2021 1:59 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Snip

Oh, I thought the 3-across section on the left was one big unit, then the
2 high stack on the right.

They look great. I hope the install goes/went great.

It went well, just like I actually measured the fit. LOL

I hope the same for me next Saturday. I have some minor electrical work to do, and
I need to install a garbage disposal, both of which I *should* do before installing
the drawers. I'll need the light and I'll need the hardware stores to be open. However,
unless I at least test fit the drawers first thing, I'll be distracted all day thinking about
them.

How much do you want to bet that I least remeasure the openings within 5 minutes
of my arrival late Friday night? I probably won't be able to sleep unless I do. ;-)

LOL, So some how or another I installed one of the drawer units, in the
island, that was supposed to go somewhere else. One would think it
would be obvious as to which went where but the one for the island had
to be a bit narrower than the opening because of electrical conduit on
one end. Sooooo the really generous fit did not strike me as odd.
But then I had the last unit to install and it was about 1/2" too wide.
Out comes the island unit and into the last cabinet. Just like I
measured. LOL.
And so on.

I hate wondering if I looked at the right side of the inch indicator...
Was it 24.5" or 23.5". :~0
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, January 25, 2021 at 6:30:33 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
[...]

At least you realized what you did wrong pretty quick.

Sure would have sucked if you had thought that you built the last unit too
big and went home to build another one. :-0

I hate wondering if I looked at the right side of the inch indicator...
Was it 24.5" or 23.5". :~0

Wondering is bad enough but it's worse when you cut to the wrong/short
side. BTDT
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/25/2021 8:21 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

There is that. LOL

I hate wondering if I looked at the right side of the inch indicator...
Was it 24.5" or 23.5". :~0

Wondering is bad enough but it's worse when you cut to the wrong/short
side. BTDT

Yes! LOL