Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Cutting Steel with Circular Saw Blades

I'm installing a railing and need to cut the metal. I've got a hacksaw and
a portable circular saw, so naturally which one do I grab? The circular
saw.

I found out why they say not to cut steel with most blades. It throws hot
chips all over and dulls the blade pretty quick.

Lesson #2: Safety glasses aren't the end-all of safety. A chip found its
way past the glasses and while I'm ok it's a little sore there. I should
have been wearing a full face shield but I didn't have one on site.

Learned something else... Sanders are awesome at deburring steel. I tried
doing it with a file, then switched to the sander and wow what a
difference! Got the piece deburred, rounded, and cleaned in a minute
rather than taking 5 or more with the file.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

Puckdropper wrote:
I'm installing a railing and need to cut the metal. I've got a hacksaw and
a portable circular saw, so naturally which one do I grab? The circular
saw.

I found out why they say not to cut steel with most blades. It throws hot
chips all over and dulls the blade pretty quick.

I wish you had video...I would never have expected You to be the one
reporting this! : ) A reciprocating saw might have been a good
choice too--but evidently you were in a hurry! Glad you weren't banged
up more than you were.

Lesson #2: Safety glasses aren't the end-all of safety. A chip found its
way past the glasses and while I'm ok it's a little sore there. I should
have been wearing a full face shield but I didn't have one on site.

Learned something else... Sanders are awesome at deburring steel. I tried
doing it with a file, then switched to the sander and wow what a
difference! Got the piece deburred, rounded, and cleaned in a minute
rather than taking 5 or more with the file.

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/17/2021 3:48 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
I'm installing a railing and need to cut the metal. I've got a hacksaw and
a portable circular saw, so naturally which one do I grab? The circular
saw.

I found out why they say not to cut steel with most blades. It throws hot
chips all over and dulls the blade pretty quick.

Lesson #2: Safety glasses aren't the end-all of safety. A chip found its
way past the glasses and while I'm ok it's a little sore there. I should
have been wearing a full face shield but I didn't have one on site.

Learned something else... Sanders are awesome at deburring steel. I tried
doing it with a file, then switched to the sander and wow what a
difference! Got the piece deburred, rounded, and cleaned in a minute
rather than taking 5 or more with the file.

Puckdropper

That is why some safety glasses come with side shields. In most
manufacturing companies where I have worked, the standard issue safe
glasses have side shields. As you said if you are working in a rain of
sparks you should have been using a full face shield.

This applies to corrosive liquids also. For the routine handling of
corrosive liquids you should always use safety glasses with side
shields. Where you may get splashing, face shields are a must.

Many years ago when I was working in a lab, one technician was digesting
an organic in a crucible. It did not go as fast as he thought and
leaned over and looked into the crucible, Unfortunate just at that
moment it splattered. Fortunately the tech had side shield safety
glass, but for weeks afterwards had yellow spots all over his face from
the nitric acid. All over except behind the side shields and eye glasses.

Safety glasses with side shields are required by federal government
workplace regulations for these industries.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, January 17, 2021 at 3:48:41 AM UTC-5, Puckdropper wrote:
I'm installing a railing and need to cut the metal. I've got a hacksaw and
a portable circular saw, so naturally which one do I grab? The circular
saw.

I found out why they say not to cut steel with most blades. It throws hot
chips all over and dulls the blade pretty quick.

Lesson #2: Safety glasses aren't the end-all of safety. A chip found its
way past the glasses and while I'm ok it's a little sore there. I should
have been wearing a full face shield but I didn't have one on site.

Learned something else... Sanders are awesome at deburring steel. I tried
doing it with a file, then switched to the sander and wow what a
difference! Got the piece deburred, rounded, and cleaned in a minute
rather than taking 5 or more with the file.

Puckdropper

I've mostly cut metal on my miter saw using a metal cutting wheel. I don't
recall if I ever tried it in a circular but it wouldn't surprised me if I did.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DIABLO-1...L01F/202831056

For a railing, I probably would have grabbed my angle grinder with either
a metal grinding wheel or cut-off wheel.

I was going to get rid of my old Delta miter saw when I bought the Bosch
glider, but I decided to save it for cutting crappy wood and metal. Years ago
I had access to a radial arm saw to cut through steel plates up to a 1/2" thick.
Using slow, shallow cuts on a tightly secured plate, you can make some
surprisingly smooth and accurate cuts.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/17/2021 1:48 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
[...]

I've got a hand held 9 inch circular saw that is supposed to be for
cutting steel. I have used it on stainless sheet. That is hard on
blades. Its been used for pieces of aluminum plate to big to put on the
horizontal bandsaw. For that it works a treat. I haven't yet used it
for cutting plain steel. I'll report back when I do. I've got a 4x8
sheet of A36 on my welding table that really should be cut down to 3x7.
Maybe someday.

For years I had a cheap Black & Decker circular saw from K-Mart. I kept
an abrasive blade on it for cutting steel all the time. I don't know
that I cut miles of steel with it, but it was my primary cutting tool
for steel for a long time. Even after I got a torch the abrasive saw
was often the better tool for the job. It cut the parts for hundreds of
small satellite dish roof mounts.

Somebody mentioned a reciprocating saw. I've got two of those. An old
Sears that I used as needed for 15-20 years. I bought it because I
needed one to finish a job, was broke, and had a Sears credit card. Its
cut a lot of things including a little bit of steel. When the blade
holder broke I bought a Super Sawzall. Then I found a replacement
holder for the Sears one. I never thought they were great for cutting
steel. Sure with the right blade they do the job, but they are rarely
my first choice if I can get another tool into the space. They are like
the Swiss Army knife of cutting tools in my opinion. Capable of a lot
of things, but not really the best tool for any of them. If I do use
one for steel I often start with a fresh Milwaukee "Torch" blade and
find myself finishing with one of my old Lennox bi metal blades. I
really should throw those torch blades away, but I have a whole pack of
them brand new still in the package. I hate to throw away new tools.

You know when it comes to eye protection I was terrible over the years.
I was also pretty lucky. Most of my life I grabbed a tool and tackled
the job. Its only since I changed from contracting to machining that I
have become really conscious of the dangers. Sure I always kept a pair
or 3 of the old Uvex safety glasses in my truck, but often that's where
they spent the entire week.

https://www.avg.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/17/2021 8:56 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

I noticed some time back one of the industrial companies makes a table
saw for cutting steel. I've got a big broken DeWalt out back that
dwarfs my Delta. I've often thought about putting a steel slat table on
and converting to some sort of slow speed drive.

https://www.avg.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, January 17, 2021 at 3:48:41 AM UTC-5, Puckdropper wrote:

Lesson #2: Safety glasses aren't the end-all of safety. A chip found its
way past the glasses and while I'm ok it's a little sore there. I should
have been wearing a full face shield but I didn't have one on site.

Not chip related, but my most dramatic "Thank God I was wearing safety
glasses" moment came when I was building my first deck.

I didn't need to wear corrective lessons back then, but I worked at a factory
so wearing safety glasses was a practice that I followed at work and at home.

I was playing around with the railing for the deck stairs, trying to figure out
what look I wanted. I attached a 2 x4 to the posts with some bar clamps and
stepped back to take a look. Since there are 9 steps from the ground to the
landing, one of the bar clamps was up pretty high. I should mention that I
had grabbed a 36" clamp and attached it so that the bar was sticking out into
the yard.

As I walked back towards the stairs, my vision was focused on the railing.
The 1/4" x 3/4" end of the steel bar didn't even register in my brain. When I
was about 30" from the stairs, my head snapped back as the end of the bar
hit the right lens of my safety glasses dead center. The bar deflected
upwards and put a nasty gouge in my forehead. By the time I realized what
had happened, blood was dripping down over my eye and I was shaking like a
leaf. It took me a few seconds to figure out that my eye was OK and that it was
just blood that was obstructing my vision. The lens was cracked, but had held
and had done it's job.

I have no doubt that the safety glasses prevented the bar from pushing my eyeball
back into my head. 30+ years later, it still makes me a little queasy just thinking
about it.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, January 17, 2021 at 9:56:35 AM UTC-6, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Second this. You can usually pick up an angle grinder (really) cheap on the sale sites. It's a safe way to go. The right blade might cost something.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 17 Jan 2021 11:37:53 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

[...]

An acquaintance was hammering cut nails into his basement wall. Yep,
one shattered sending shrapnel into his eye. After a half dozen
surgeries they did save his eye but there is lesson in there.

Two big mistakes. 1) no eye protection and 2) using a hardened (claw)
hammer on hardened cut nails. He won't do that again.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 17 Jan 2021 13:48:39 -0800 (PST), Michael
wrote:

[...]

Or, in the "any excuse to buy a toy^H^Hool" category, you can get a
plasma cutter on Amazon for about 170 bucks. Wouldn't recommend it
for a production shop, or anybody who does a lot of metal work, but
for once in a blue moon use, should be fine. Does need a compressor
and a 35A circuit though.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/17/2021 9:56 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

I have a circular saw with a metal/cement cutting blade. That is all it
is used for.

Looks like a large cut off wheel for an angle grinder.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote in :

I wish you had video...I would never have expected You to be the one
reporting this! : ) A reciprocating saw might have been a good
choice too--but evidently you were in a hurry! Glad you weren't
banged up more than you were.

You wouldn't have seen anything anyway. I just realized I have access to a
jigsaw, so finishing up this project I'll probably use that. Thanks for
the suggestion!

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, January 17, 2021 at 6:48:47 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
[...]

Not to pick nits, but never heard of saw blade used for cutting cement. Concrete, yes, masonry most definitely yes...
There is also a brand of saw system designed specifically for cutting steel with an electric saw. Evolution. I believe it is possible to bush the arbor down to fit a standard or worm drive saw. https://store.evolutionpowertools.co...e_circular-saw
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/18/2021 12:41 PM, Brian Welch wrote:
[...]

You might also be interested in knowing that concrete is made up of
cement, sand , and an regenerate.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, January 18, 2021 at 3:17:00 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
[...]

My point precisely...cement is merely an ingredient in concrete, along with water, sand and aggregate...and occasionally super-plasticizer, retarder, air entraining agent etc...
As a concrete contractor for many years, it has been a pet peeve of mine when the terms cement and concrete are used interchangeably...
All good...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 18 Jan 2021 13:09:21 -0800 (PST), Brian Welch
wrote:

[...]

I may be wrong but I believe Leon was calling you a pedant. If not,
I'll volunteer.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Feel free...I derive pleasure in providing information/education...I have no control over how you choose to accept it...Be well...
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

That would be great if 1) you were providing any information/education
and 2) Anyone needed your information/education 3) If you weren't
trying to show how "smart" you are with your information/education.

But feel free to be the newbie here who feels the need to be Captain
Obvious.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

My most humble apologies m'lord. Please provide the portal, and the names of the governing officials, to whom I should present any future comments for vetting/approval prior to posting. Surely my intention is not to offend anyone...Stay well...
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/18/2021 3:09 PM, Brian Welch wrote:
[...]

Understood but I meant "cement" not concrete. My blade does not cut
through the stones/aggregate in concrete.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

From my end, all is good. I did mean cement not concrete.

Thanks for the civil response, it is what I expected from any member of this group.
Curious about the application/use of cement as a building material...Looking to learn as well
Thanks again
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

From my end, all is good. I did mean cement not concrete.

Maybe for cementitious backer board? That application had escaped me...
Best
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, January 18, 2021 at 4:09:24 PM UTC-5, Brian Welch wrote:
[...]

Do you feel the same about Kleenex (tissues), Velcro (hook and loop), Sawzall (reciprocating saw), Skilsaw (circular saw), etc.?

I do.

Lots more for us to be pet-peeved about he

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/...-generic-terms

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, January 19, 2021 at 12:16:23 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Those don't bother me as they are one and the same, essentially. Band-aid does get me tho'
Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

Wow, quite a list...the majority are news to me... Thanks for sharing...
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

From my end, all is good. I did mean cement not concrete.

Maybe for cementitious backer board? That application had escaped me...
Best

Yes that. Hardi Plank/board, and or cutting through cinder block with
no stone aggregate, cement bricks made from cement and sand.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/17/2021 3:48 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
I'm installing a railing and need to cut the metal. I've got a hacksaw and
a portable circular saw, so naturally which one do I grab? The circular
saw.

I found out why they say not to cut steel with most blades. It throws hot
chips all over and dulls the blade pretty quick.

Lesson #2: Safety glasses aren't the end-all of safety. A chip found its
way past the glasses and while I'm ok it's a little sore there. I should
have been wearing a full face shield but I didn't have one on site.

Learned something else... Sanders are awesome at deburring steel. I tried
doing it with a file, then switched to the sander and wow what a
difference! Got the piece deburred, rounded, and cleaned in a minute
rather than taking 5 or more with the file.

Puckdropper

I have done it by accident but would have never thought to do it intentionally.

I had some honeycomb shades and needed to shorten them to fit inside rather
than protruding outside the window frame. I checked and the bars seemed to
be aluminum so I tightly taped everything together in the closed position
and attacked with my table saw using a good carbide blade. I've cut
aluminum and brass before using the same method with zero problems. This
time my luck ran out because, unknown to me, there are steel (or maybe
iron) weights in the lower bars of the blinds. I cut right through the
first and at that point, figuring I couldn't harm the blade any more, I cut
the other blind too. I checked the blade afterward and found two or three
chipped teeth and kept using it for some time afterward until having it
repaired/sharpened by Forrest.

--
Bodger's Dictum: Artifical intelligence
can never overcome natural stupidity.