Old January 19th 21, 05:28 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Default Cutting Steel with Circular Saw Blades

On 1/18/2021 6:11 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 18 Jan 2021 13:09:21 -0800 (PST), Brian Welch
wrote:

On Monday, January 18, 2021 at 3:17:00 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
On 1/18/2021 12:41 PM, Brian Welch wrote:
On Sunday, January 17, 2021 at 6:48:47 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
On 1/17/2021 9:56 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Sunday, January 17, 2021 at 3:48:41 AM UTC-5, Puckdropper wrote:
I'm installing a railing and need to cut the metal. I've got a hacksaw and
a portable circular saw, so naturally which one do I grab? The circular
saw.

I found out why they say not to cut steel with most blades. It throws hot
chips all over and dulls the blade pretty quick.

Lesson #2: Safety glasses aren't the end-all of safety. A chip found its
way past the glasses and while I'm ok it's a little sore there. I should
have been wearing a full face shield but I didn't have one on site.

Learned something else... Sanders are awesome at deburring steel. I tried
doing it with a file, then switched to the sander and wow what a
difference! Got the piece deburred, rounded, and cleaned in a minute
rather than taking 5 or more with the file.

Puckdropper

I've mostly cut metal on my miter saw using a metal cutting wheel. I don't
recall if I ever tried it in a circular but it wouldn't surprised me if I did.
I have a circular saw with a metal/cement cutting blade. That is all it
is used for.

Looks like a large cut off wheel for an angle grinder.
Not to pick nits, but never heard of saw blade used for cutting cement. Concrete, yes, masonry most definitely yes...
There is also a brand of saw system designed specifically for cutting steel with an electric saw. Evolution. I believe it is possible to bush the arbor down to fit a standard or worm drive saw.
https://store.evolutionpowertools.co...e_circular-saw

You might also be interested in knowing that concrete is made up of
cement, sand , and an regenerate.

My point precisely...cement is merely an ingredient in concrete, along with water, sand and aggregate...and occasionally super-plasticizer, retarder, air entraining agent etc...
As a concrete contractor for many years, it has been a pet peeve of mine when the terms cement and concrete are used interchangeably...
All good...

I may be wrong but I believe Leon was calling you a pedant. If not,
I'll volunteer.

;~0

Old January 19th 21, 05:29 PM posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Feel free...I derive pleasure in providing information/education...I have no control over how you choose to accept it...Be well...

From my end, all is good. I did mean cement not concrete.
Old January 19th 21, 05:38 PM posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

From my end, all is good. I did mean cement not concrete.

Thanks for the civil response, it is what I expected from any member of this group.
Curious about the application/use of cement as a building material...Looking to learn as well
Thanks again
Old January 19th 21, 05:56 PM posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

From my end, all is good. I did mean cement not concrete.

Maybe for cementitious backer board? That application had escaped me...
Best
Old January 19th 21, 06:16 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, January 18, 2021 at 4:09:24 PM UTC-5, Brian Welch wrote:
[...]

Do you feel the same about Kleenex (tissues), Velcro (hook and loop), Sawzall (reciprocating saw), Skilsaw (circular saw), etc.?

I do.

Lots more for us to be pet-peeved about he

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/...-generic-terms

Old January 19th 21, 07:05 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, January 19, 2021 at 12:16:23 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Those don't bother me as they are one and the same, essentially. Band-aid does get me tho'
Old January 19th 21, 07:07 PM posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

Wow, quite a list...the majority are news to me... Thanks for sharing...
Old January 22nd 21, 04:58 PM posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

From my end, all is good. I did mean cement not concrete.

Maybe for cementitious backer board? That application had escaped me...
Best

Yes that. Hardi Plank/board, and or cutting through cinder block with
no stone aggregate, cement bricks made from cement and sand.
Old January 22nd 21, 09:13 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/17/2021 3:48 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
I'm installing a railing and need to cut the metal. I've got a hacksaw and
a portable circular saw, so naturally which one do I grab? The circular
saw.

I found out why they say not to cut steel with most blades. It throws hot
chips all over and dulls the blade pretty quick.

Lesson #2: Safety glasses aren't the end-all of safety. A chip found its
way past the glasses and while I'm ok it's a little sore there. I should
have been wearing a full face shield but I didn't have one on site.

Learned something else... Sanders are awesome at deburring steel. I tried
doing it with a file, then switched to the sander and wow what a
difference! Got the piece deburred, rounded, and cleaned in a minute
rather than taking 5 or more with the file.

Puckdropper

I have done it by accident but would have never thought to do it intentionally.

I had some honeycomb shades and needed to shorten them to fit inside rather
than protruding outside the window frame. I checked and the bars seemed to
be aluminum so I tightly taped everything together in the closed position
and attacked with my table saw using a good carbide blade. I've cut
aluminum and brass before using the same method with zero problems. This
time my luck ran out because, unknown to me, there are steel (or maybe
iron) weights in the lower bars of the blinds. I cut right through the
first and at that point, figuring I couldn't harm the blade any more, I cut
the other blind too. I checked the blade afterward and found two or three
chipped teeth and kept using it for some time afterward until having it
repaired/sharpened by Forrest.

--
Bodger's Dictum: Artifical intelligence
can never overcome natural stupidity.