Old January 13th 21, 06:59 AM posted to rec.woodworking

Default Epoxy, Fabric and Wood

On 11/01/2021 11:12 am, Leon wrote:
On 1/11/2021 9:46 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Overall question:

Will epoxy hold flexible plastic to fabric? Specifically, West Systems G-Flex
epoxy and 3M Dual Lock adhesive tape.

I'm trying to help a friend extend the life of a couch. To keep the cushions
from sliding forward, the manufacturer used Velcro-like hook & loop material
between the bottom of the cushions and the fabric that covers the springs in
the base of the couch. The H&L strips are sewn onto the cushions and base and
have served their purpose well for many years.

Unfortunately, the springs have weakened, so my friend put a piece of 3/4"
plywood under the cushions to add firmness. This works fine, except that the
cushions slide forward whenever someone sits on the couch since the H&L is no
longer connected.

She tried some of the 3M Dual Lock adhesive tape between the cushions and
plywood, but the tape does not stick to the fabric on the cushions for very
long. After a few "sitting sessions" the tape, which is actually a hard but
flexible plastic, loses it's adhesion to the fabric bottom of the cushion.

Short of taking the cushions to an upholsterer to see if they can sew the Dual
Lock to the cushions, I'm wondering if the West Systems G-Flex epoxy might
hold the tape to the fabric.

Other suggestions for preventing the cushions from sliding on the plywood
would certainly be appreciated.

Try adding thick Super glue to the adhesive on the tape to penetrate the fabric.

Goop?

Old January 13th 21, 04:12 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Often, a swivel type clasp is used for securing cushions to the sofa proper..... in your case the plywood.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Swivel-Ba...of-6/308664373

There needs to be some attaching piece(s) on the cushion (corners) to clip to. No matter what kind of DIY fix, this concept of attachment is likely your best, easiest, least expensive, most permanent, cushion-removable fix.

Probably the springs have not weakened. Rarely do I see broken springs. Most likely the spring supports have failed in some capacity, not the springs themselves. I see and fix this fairly often with older furniture. Spring support failure cause: 1) clips loosen or detach from the wood frame 2) Spring ties (string/twine) loosen or break 3) jute webbing or other banding straps loosen or its attachments (nails, staples) fail 4) a broken or loosened board (frame member, wood joint). None of these repairs are difficult, but more time consuming.... upholstery, in general, is really simple and easy work. For these internal fixes, it's just a matter of diving into the internals to access the problem..... just awkward maneuvering often times. We did a ply-sheet fix for Mom's sofa seating (spring support failure), until I fixed it later.

Sonny
Old January 13th 21, 09:10 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, January 13, 2021 at 10:12:45 AM UTC-5, Sonny wrote:
[...]

I have done some upholstery repair in the past and as you say, it's not difficult. However,
"it's just a matter of diving into the internals to access the problem" is a tad simplistic.

"Diving in" is easy. It's the "climbing back out" that poses the problem for me :-)

I dove right in to open up this box spring to get it up the stairs. Once it was upstairs, closing
it back up was as simple as a bunch of staples, but the sloppy closure method will remain
hidden until the mattress is moved again. IOW, if the broken part is not accessible from an
area that will be hidden from view, I'm screwed. :-)

https://i.imgur.com/LA9zYeQ.jpg

Old January 13th 21, 10:49 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Mattress diving is not upholstery.

This is mattress diving.... in college we competed against one another in seeing how far we could mattress dive. We would wet the dorm hallway, place a mattress down, run and jump on the mattress to see how far we would travel. https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/

We also played golf in those halls, a club house (i.e., beer) at each end of the hall. Good times with college buddies!

Sonny