Old January 11th 21, 09:57 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Default Epoxy, Fabric and Wood

On Mon, 11 Jan 2021 12:55:25 -0700, Bob La Londe
wrote:

On 1/11/2021 8:46 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Overall question:

Will epoxy hold flexible plastic to fabric? Specifically, West

Systems G-Flex epoxy and 3M Dual Lock adhesive tape.

I'm trying to help a friend extend the life of a couch. To keep the

cushions from sliding forward, the manufacturer used Velcro-like hook &
loop material between the bottom of the cushions and the fabric that
covers the springs in the base of the couch. The H&L strips are sewn
onto the cushions and base and have served their purpose well for many
years.

Unfortunately, the springs have weakened, so my friend put a piece of

3/4" plywood under the cushions to add firmness. This works fine, except
that the cushions slide forward whenever someone sits on the couch since
the H&L is no longer connected.

She tried some of the 3M Dual Lock adhesive tape between the cushions

and plywood, but the tape does not stick to the fabric on the cushions
for very long. After a few "sitting sessions" the tape, which is
actually a hard but flexible plastic, loses it's adhesion to the fabric
bottom of the cushion.

Short of taking the cushions to an upholsterer to see if they can sew

the Dual Lock to the cushions, I'm wondering if the West Systems G-Flex
epoxy might hold the tape to the fabric.

Other suggestions for preventing the cushions from sliding on the

plywood would certainly be appreciated.

Epoxy generally has some flexibility, but not much. For some
applications a product called Flex Coat (an epoxy used for fishing rod
wraps) might be an option. For your application I think something like
3M 77 spray on contact adhesive might work better. I have found that
when sprayed on a single surface and applied wet (right away) its a
decent temporary bond, and when sprayed on both surface and left to get
tacky before pressing together it makes a more permanent bond. It does
seem to remain flexible. More than epoxy anyway.

Other contact adhesives may also work, but I keep 3M 77 on hand and use
it all the time.

I keep thinking about the aftermath of a failed glue-job .. uughh.
As opposed to a failed sewing job - which would be easy to
remove / re-do and leave little evidence afterwards.
If the cushion covers are removeable - it could be machine-sewn ;
even if hand-stitched it should only take about 30 minutes per
cushion. Sew 1 or 2 6 inch diagonal strips - in from each corner -
on the cushoins ; staple 3 or 4 shorter strips to the plywood so
that they cross the cushion strips at a 90.
John T.

Old January 11th 21, 11:31 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 11 Jan 2021 07:46:59 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

[...]

How about a piece of anti-slip matting? - the stuff you put under a
rag rug to keep it from sliding.
Grip-It Ultra Stop Non-Slip Rug Pad for Rugs on Hard Surface Floors, 3
by 5-Feet from Amazon.
or
Epica Super-Grip Non-Slip Area Rug Pad 3 x 5 for any hard Surface
Floor, Keeps Your Rugs Safe and in Place
also from Amazom
or
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/tra...tra/1000745895
from Home Despot (US most likely has same or similar)
Old January 12th 21, 01:14 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, January 11, 2021 at 12:31:28 PM UTC-5, Sonny wrote:
An upholsterer would have and can do what needs to be done at a cost.

I suggest you go to Hobby Lobby (Hob-nobby Lobby) or your local fabric store and get at least 2, maybe 3, ready made buttons with eyes on the back side.... like this
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/

These buttons are about the size of a nickel. Quarter size buttons would do fine, also. Attach a string to the eye and run the string from inside the back of the cushion (along the zipper area). Attach the string to the plywood, pulling/securing the cushion to the back of the ply. Maybe get some extra buttons, in case a button or eye breaks, you'll have replacement buttons. This may be your lease expensive fix and easy to do. Hobby Lobby or fabric store may have a large needle for threading string through the fabric.

Sonny

I'm not quite sure I understand the process completely, but this sounds kind
of permanent, right? Permanent as in the cushions can't be easily removed
for vacuuming, etc.?

For what it's worth, the couch is sort of like this one, where the loose seat cushions
kind of get shoved under the permanently attached back cushions.

https://i.imgur.com/JJV8Fpf.jpg

Old January 12th 21, 01:29 AM posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

I have some of that lying around. We used to use it under the ratchet straps when securing
Soap Box Derby cars in our trailers. Creates a non-slip cushion under the rough straps to
prevent damage to the paint.

It's worth a try.

Old January 12th 21, 04:16 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, January 11, 2021 at 6:29:31 PM UTC-6, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I'm not quite sure I understand the process completely, but this sounds kind
of permanent, right? Permanent as in the cushions can't be easily removed
for vacuuming, etc.?

For what it's worth, the couch is sort of like this one, where the loose seat cushions
kind of get shoved under the permanently attached back cushions.

https://i.imgur.com/JJV8Fpf.jpg

Info: The surface under the cushions is called the decking.

Many sofa cushions have semi-circle rings on the cushions' sides, at/near the back . These rings are attached to clips on the inside of the arms.... tucked down into the sides of the sofa between the arms and decking. These attachments hold the cushion in place. The ring is sewn in place via a strip of fabric. The clips are attached to elastic bands that are stapled to the sofa frame, tucked down inisde and below the arms and decking crevice. The clip allows for removing the cushion when needed.

The button or wood strip attachment can be similarly applied to the ply. The string can be looped and the ply aspect can have an "S" hook type of releasing attachment to hook onto the string loop, hence the cushion can be easily removed. This method is DIY, quick and easy, doesn't require sewing anything (except for running the button's/wood's string through the back of the cushion fabric. It's another form of the typical upholstery ring-clip attachment, but a DIYer alternative.

As per your pic, I have a similar sofa in the shop right now. I'll get some pics of the button and/or wood strip procedure and post..... hopefully this evening, depends on how fast/convenient I can do it.
Sonny
Old January 12th 21, 04:29 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, January 11, 2021 at 10:16:25 PM UTC-5, Sonny wrote:
[...]

The clip and loop explanation makes more sense to me than your previous suggestion. Pictures would be nice though. ;-)
Old January 12th 21, 05:18 AM posted to rec.woodworking

9 Pics. Scroll right. Attachments are best attached at/near the backside corners of the cushion. Maybe a mid-cushion attachment is ok, but probably not needed.
Pic 1) Button on the inside of the cushion covering (cushion sleeve). Button string is run through the back of the cushion, preferably near the corner. A wood strip, rather than a button, is pic 3.
Pic 2) I have a dedicated needle for running button string through fabric, plies of fabric, etc. You could use an awl or a 10D or 12D nail to form a hole in the fabric to run the string through.
Pic 3) Is a demo wood strip. Drill holes in the strip to attach the string to. May not need a strip of wood, just some crude hand made wooden "buttons".
Pic 4) Loop tied in the string just outside the cushion.
Pics 5 & 6) A string or 3/8" elastic band is attached to the underside of the ply. The string or elastic band attaches to a hand made "S" hook. A large safety pin would do just fine, rather than an S hook.
Pic 7) Again, S hook or safety pin string is attached to the underside of the ply in this photo.
Pic 8) Button string loop is connected to the S hook/safety pin.
Pic 9) Cushions in place and no one knows any difference.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/

Pic 10) Rather than string, the S hook/safety pin can be attached to the ply with 3/8" elastic band.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/
Old January 12th 21, 05:49 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, January 11, 2021 at 11:18:52 PM UTC-5, Sonny wrote:
[...]

Thanks! Really appreciate it!