DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   garage heaters (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/683563-garage-heaters.html)

[email protected] December 26th 20 08:13 PM

garage heaters

Merry Christmas, everyone!
I'm looking to put a ceiling mounted heater in my garage workshop. I'm looking at models that are 5000w and 240v. Rather than hard-wiring the unit I'd like to have it corded and use the existing 240 plug I use for my table saw. Since the table saw isn't used constantly I figure I could just have the heater plugged in and swap for the table saw as needed. Is there any other concerns with swapping devices plugged in to a 240 outlet?
Most heaters that are 5000w or higher say they require being hardwired. However, there is a Dr. Infrared Heater DR-988 Garage Shop 208/240V, 4800/5600W heater that comes with a 6-30R plug factory attached.
If this one comes with a factory plug attached, why can't I buy any other "hard wired" unit and put a 240v plug on it?

[email protected] December 26th 20 08:53 PM

garage heaters

On Sat, 26 Dec 2020 11:13:37 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

Merry Christmas, everyone!
I'm looking to put a ceiling mounted heater in my garage workshop. I'm looking at models that are 5000w and 240v. Rather than hard-wiring the unit I'd like to have it corded and use the existing 240 plug I use for my table saw. Since the table saw isn't used constantly I figure I could just have the heater plugged in and swap for the table saw as needed. Is there any other concerns with swapping devices plugged in to a 240 outlet?
Most heaters that are 5000w or higher say they require being hardwired. However, there is a Dr. Infrared Heater DR-988 Garage Shop 208/240V, 4800/5600W heater that comes with a 6-30R plug factory attached.
If this one comes with a factory plug attached, why can't I buy any other "hard wired" unit and put a 240v plug on it?

I don't see a problem with this as long as the current circuit is 10Ga
wiring with a 30A breaker. Note that the 6-30R is a 30A plug. This is
sort of circuit is a little unusual for a table saw, which are usually
connects to a 20A branch.

I have several power tools (table saw, bandsaw, and lathe) plugged
into the same 240V circuit, with the assumption that I can only use
one at a time. My dust collector is on a separate circuit of its own
because it will be used together with these tools.

The units intended to be hard wired may only have UL certification for
this use. Using them with a plug may technically be a violation of
the code. There is nothing to say that it won't work but it's not the
intended use, as long as the power doesn't exceed the capability of
the circuit.

dpb[_3_] December 26th 20 11:20 PM

garage heaters

On 12/26/2020 1:13 PM, wrote:
Merry Christmas, everyone!
I'm looking to put a ceiling mounted heater in my garage workshop.
I'm looking at models that are 5000w and 240v. Rather than
hard-wiring the unit I'd like to have it corded and use the existing
240 plug I use for my table saw. Since the table saw isn't used
constantly I figure I could just have the heater plugged in and swap
for the table saw as needed. Is there any other concerns with
swapping devices plugged in to a 240 outlet?

Most heaters that are 5000w or higher say they require being
hardwired. However, there is a Dr. Infrared Heater DR-988 Garage
Shop 208/240V, 4800/5600W heater that comes with a 6-30R plug factory attached.
If this one comes with a factory plug attached, why can't I buy any
other "hard wired" unit and put a 240v plug on it?

You can do whatever you like; as another said it will violate the UL
listing for the other unit, but as long as the circuit is of sufficient
ampacity for the unit, it'll not be a safety hazard.

But, if it's in the garage and ceiling mounted, why wouldn't you just go
ahead and hard-wire it? If the plug is somewhere convenient that you
can swap it easily, it's going to be a fair run and leave a long cord
just hanging.

I'd suggest to "bite the bullet" and do it right.

Just Wondering[_4_] December 27th 20 12:26 AM

garage heaters

On 12/26/2020 12:13 PM, wrote:
Merry Christmas, everyone!
I'm looking to put a ceiling mounted heater in my garage workshop. I'm looking at models that are 5000w and 240v. Rather than hard-wiring the unit I'd like to have it corded and use the existing 240 plug I use for my table saw. Since the table saw isn't used constantly I figure I could just have the heater plugged in and swap for the table saw as needed. Is there any other concerns with swapping devices plugged in to a 240 outlet?
Most heaters that are 5000w or higher say they require being hardwired. However, there is a Dr. Infrared Heater DR-988 Garage Shop 208/240V, 4800/5600W heater that comes with a 6-30R plug factory attached.
If this one comes with a factory plug attached, why can't I buy any other "hard wired" unit and put a 240v plug on it?

Have you considered a heat pump? They're cheaper to run that those
heaters, and give you cooling in the summer. Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/PIONEER-Air-C...dDbGljaz10cnVl

J. Clarke[_5_] December 27th 20 12:32 AM

garage heaters

On Sat, 26 Dec 2020 16:20:05 -0600, dpb wrote:

On 12/26/2020 1:13 PM, wrote:
[...]

And if there's a spare circuit in the panel it can even run
independently of the dryer.

Of course I shouldn't talk--I have 80 feet of 10 gage stranded wire
running from an outlet to where I charge my car.

[email protected] December 27th 20 01:35 AM

garage heaters

On Saturday, December 26, 2020 at 11:54:02 AM UTC-8, wrote
I don't see a problem with this as long as the current circuit is 10Ga
wiring with a 30A breaker. Note that the 6-30R is a 30A plug. This is
sort of circuit is a little unusual for a table saw, which are usually
connects to a 20A branch.

It is a 20A branch so I assume 12 gauge wire.

The 240 outlet happens to be right below the perfect spot to hang a heater. The heater cord would only have to be 7 feet at the most. I'm hoping to save a few bucks by not installing a new breaker, wire, and outlet.

[email protected] December 27th 20 02:59 AM

garage heaters

On Sat, 26 Dec 2020 16:35:01 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Saturday, December 26, 2020 at 11:54:02 AM UTC-8, wrote
I don't see a problem with this as long as the current circuit is 10Ga
wiring with a 30A breaker. Note that the 6-30R is a 30A plug. This is
sort of circuit is a little unusual for a table saw, which are usually
connects to a 20A branch.

It is a 20A branch so I assume 12 gauge wire.

Not enough power. 5000W/240V = 21A
You need a 30A circuit. Your plug is rated for 30A. No way around
this one.

The 240 outlet happens to be right below the perfect spot to hang a heater. The heater cord would only have to be 7 feet at the most. I'm hoping to save a few bucks by not installing a new breaker, wire, and outlet.

I doesn't matter. You don't have enough power for it.

[email protected] December 27th 20 04:39 AM

garage heaters

wrote:

On Saturday, December 26, 2020 at 11:54:02 AM UTC-8, wrote
I don't see a problem with this as long as the current circuit is 10Ga
wiring with a 30A breaker. Note that the 6-30R is a 30A plug. This is
sort of circuit is a little unusual for a table saw, which are usually
connects to a 20A branch.

It is a 20A branch so I assume 12 gauge wire.

Not enough power. 5000W/240V = 21A
You need a 30A circuit. Your plug is rated for 30A. No way around
this one.

The 240 outlet happens to be right below the perfect spot to hang a heater. The heater cord would only have to be 7 feet at the most. I'm hoping to save a few bucks by not installing a new breaker, wire, and outlet.

I doesn't matter. You don't have enough power for it.

Perfect! Thanks for clarifying. Budget calls for a cheap solution, so I need to find something that is no more than 4800W. Someday I'll go big. For now I just need something that can take the chill off better than an office space heater.

Clare Snyder December 27th 20 05:45 AM

garage heaters

wrote:

[...]

I use a 4000 watt construction heater - the orange cube. It shares an
outlet with my compressor and my arc welder. It is a fan forced unit
about 14? inches square. About 13.5 BTU output.

DerbyDad03 December 27th 20 04:36 PM

garage heaters

wrote:

[...]

This may be too small of a solution, but I'm a big fan of the oil filled heaters.
I run mine on low 24 x 7 in my basement shop. 3 exposed concrete block walls.

Perhaps 2 or 3 of the biggest of these in various locations would be enough
to take the chill off in your garage:

Perhaps keep it on low all the time and just crank it up as needed.

https://www.amazon.com/DeLonghi-EW77.../dp/B000TGDGLU

[email protected] December 27th 20 06:42 PM

garage heaters

wrote:

[...]

No, you need to target less than 4000W (3600W?). At 4800W, you're too
close to the edge. At the maximum line voltage the heater will draw
21A.

Scott Lurndal December 28th 20 05:03 PM

garage heaters

wrote:

[...]

IIRC, you can only draw 80% of breaker capacity on a continuous load,
call it 3.5kw in round numbers (3.8 max).

[email protected] December 28th 20 08:27 PM

garage heaters

wrote:

[...]

Yes, the 4800w's that come corded have a 6-30P plug. Therefore, I'm going with this one - Cadet 4000-Watt Electric Garage Heater. It has a 6-20P plug, so it should work. Currently I'm using a 1500w office space heater and it works ok if a have it right next to me on the bench. I'm hoping at almost 3 times the wattage, this one will suffice. I don't need a sauna. Just warm enough to relax a little.

knuttle December 28th 20 11:00 PM

garage heaters

wrote:

[...]

and have the glue and paint to dry properly. At least that is the
problem I have when it is cold.

[email protected] December 29th 20 12:40 AM

garage heaters

wrote:

[...]

You could use both. I might use an infrared heater where you tend to
work. I'll keep you (well, half of you) warm without sucking up too
much power.

I don't use a heater because my (walk out) basement only gets cold for
a few weeks out of the year (it's 58F now and may get down to about
50F). Once I get working a sweatshirt is good enough.

DerbyDad03 December 29th 20 03:52 AM

garage heaters

wrote:

[...]

58? Probably won't see that around here for a while.

My daughter asked me to bring one specific tool when we went to visit for
Christmas. I brought it, but I made her use it.

https://i.imgur.com/0jyl2wv.jpg

[email protected] December 29th 20 04:55 AM

garage heaters

wrote:

[...]

That works for me. The kid is still in VT. They had 32" a week or so
back. You can have that white s***. I'm done with it. The average
highs are in the 50s and 60s (lows in the 30s and 40s), November
through March, here. Nice weather.

I was referring to the basement temperature. There is insulation
between the unheated basement and the first floor but it's not a lot.
No point in it.

Dave Marulli December 29th 20 04:45 PM

garage heaters

wrote:

[...]

Yep...that's the same storm that hit my daughter's area - central NY, 10 miles
north of the PA line. Reports say 40", she probably got mid-30". By the time
I showed up with the snow blower (4 days later) it had melted down/sunk a
bit so it doesn't look like that much, comparatively speaking.

Of course, the day I loaded the snow blower back into the trailer, the plows
came by to do their "street widening" runs. Knocked down the 5' piles at the
EOD and blocked me in and my daughter out. I had to unload the blower and
clear the EOD of the hardpacked, frozen blockage.

I was referring to the basement temperature. There is insulation
between the unheated basement and the first floor but it's not a lot.
No point in it.

Back here at home, it's 27°F outside, 60°F in my basement shop. It'll drop into
the low 50's if temps hit the teens. The shop is small enough that a 1500W
oil-filled space heater will warm it up nicely. After 30+ years, I've not seen any
indication of rust due to the fluctuating temps, so I'm counting my blessings for
that.

[email protected] December 29th 20 06:16 PM

garage heaters

wrote:

[...]

Yeah, I remember all that. I was in the Hudson valley for just short
of 20 years and Vermont for 14. There are a lot of reasons I'm no
longer in the NE but that's high on the list.

I was referring to the basement temperature. There is insulation
between the unheated basement and the first floor but it's not a lot.
No point in it.

Back here at home, it's 27°F outside, 60°F in my basement shop. It'll drop into
the low 50's if temps hit the teens. The shop is small enough that a 1500W
oil-filled space heater will warm it up nicely. After 30+ years, I've not seen any
indication of rust due to the fluctuating temps, so I'm counting my blessings for
that.

My shop will hit the low 50s, as well, but it's a walk-out so is only
about half below ground. The rest is stick built like the main
floors. In the summer it'll get into the low 80s without help. I
don't heat the space but I do have a small AC (1T, IIRC) and a
dehumidifier. I try to keep the humidity down to 50-55%. Electricity
is fairly cheap so it's not a big deal to run both at once. I have
too much cast iron to risk.