Old December 21st 20, 06:20 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Default Titebond III must be a very different animal.

On 12/21/2020 10:52 AM, dpb wrote:
On 12/21/2020 9:40 AM, Leon wrote:

A tad more mumbo jumbo from Franklins web site..

Features & Benefits
Passes ANSI/HPVA Type I water-resistance
Waterproof formula that cleans up with water

Yes.* To add even more confusion part is that the Type I ANSI test is
more stringent than Type II test -- and the TB II and TB III didn't have
anything to do with the ANSI test type but were just product sequence
numbers, but it just so happens TBII passes ANSI II--

"TITEBOND II PREMIUM WOOD GLUE
****Titebond II Premium Wood Glue is the only leading brand, one-part
wood glue that passes the ANSI Type II water-resistance specification."

"TITEBOND III ULTIMATE WOOD GLUE
****Titebond III Ultimate Wood Glue is the first one-part, water
cleanup wood glue ever offered that is proven waterproof. The waterproof
formula passes the ANSI/HPVA Type I water-resistance specification..."

I see they now also call TBII "Premium" and TBIII "Ultimate".

--

LOL. They are all good glues but if you really need actual water
proof....well who knows.

You cannot take for granted, what the front "feature selling" label
indicates, is what you think you are getting.

Old December 21st 20, 07:44 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 21 Dec 2020 11:20:06 -0600, Leon [email protected]
wrote:

[...]

If you want true waterproof wood glues, look into what people use when
manufacturing wooden boats. It is not Titebond anything.

The traditional glue was Resorcinol:

..https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resorcinol_glue

Nor will Resorcinol (or epoxy) creep in warm weather.

Hide glue doesn't creep either.

War story: In the 1970s, I dismantled (to a pile of sticks and
planks) and reassembled an old drop-leaf dining table as if it were a
wooden boat. All joints were glued with resorcinol, and the table was
heavily varnished with Urethane floor varnish (solvent type), seven
coats on the top and five coats elsewhere. This was a gift to a
girlfriend who liked houseplants a lot - this table was totally
impervious to spills from watering the menagerie. I think she still
has that table.

Joe Gwinn
Old December 21st 20, 10:28 PM posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Epoxy does creep. It takes it a while and generally requires a pretty
heavy loading, but that it does is well known among engineers who work
with composite materials.

Not usually an issue in woodworking, but something to keep in the back
of your mind.