Old November 30th 20, 08:12 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Default Where is Grizzly Band Saw Made?

On 11/30/2020 9:47 AM, dpb wrote:
On 11/30/2020 9:02 AM, Leon wrote:

No doubt that some of the pick up diesels will¬* go and go.¬* BUT the
Ford pick up diesel that "had" such a great reputation.....well Ford
just recently lost an enormous class action law suite over that engine.

Hadn't heard anything about it...surprises me, but never had a Ford
truck on the place.¬* But there surely are a lot of them around and
not heard any of the guys with them grouching about the engine.¬* One
of the guys in the old coffee klatch when we were still meeting
didn't like his new one nearly as well, but it wasn't the engine he
complained about but all the foo-fah electronics.

And then there is the price of the option to get those diesel
engines....

And what did that truck tractor diesel cost to get the 1M miles in
comparison?¬* Pickemup diesels are not that expensive in
comparison--it's easy to drop $50K on gas model any more.

I cannot say what rebuilding would cost.

Certified rebuilds will be $20-40K typical.

A quick look found 455 hp Detroit w/ 300K on 2019 remanufacture date
available for $13,500 -- seemed pretty typical offerings.

A 16V71 long block assembly alone is going for $45,000 -- that's
remanufactured w/ OEM parts, not even a new one.

In the case of choosing a new F250 with the Power Stroke Diesel, you
start with an XL-250 for $35675.00 and add 30% for the diesel.
$10,495.00

While it's not priced as an option for a truck tractor, you'll be paying
at least 2X that as part of the sticker price for a lower end engine.

Pricing is hard to come by for commercial stuff online, but the one I
did find for Kenworth HD trucks goes from about $1,000 for minimum
upgrade from standard engine (PACCAR PX/MX series base) to range from
$3,000-$5,000 for UPGRADES to the PX/MX next series up, depending on how
much a performance jump took. To the CUMMINS X15 was from $4,000 to
$11,000 UPGRADE differential. These were 2017 data.

Those are all upgrades over base; not including what the base engine
itself cost.

As somebody else said, simply not comparable...

Old December 1st 20, 02:46 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 30 Nov 2020 08:17:04 GMT, Puckdropper
wrote:

wrote in
:

ISO9000 has nothing to do with quality. It's all about process. You
can make a crappy product, as long as you follow the process to make
it. ISO9000 = Make one crappy product then make them all crappy.

Reminds me of a story from our missing friend Robatoy:
http://puckdroppersplace.us/rec.wood...0Wilsonart.txt

Yeah, I got stuck being an ISO-9k paper-generator when it first came
out. Fortunately it was only one small project. All of the
coordinators that brought the system into the company (IBM BTW)for the
site were laid off right after they got the certifications.

I was a project leader so got stuck putting together the documents for
my project. It was to be a test to show that the whole area was
certifiable (well...). I had to defend my process as an example of
what all similar projects were doing (so they could get some work
done). I had a notebook full of "here's what we're going to do" BS.
Well, it wasn't quite full. The back half was blank (more difficult
stuff I didn't have time to get to). I kid you not, the auditors said
they were happy with our "process", the page before the null process
started. It was all BS, of course. No one cared. Audit passed. Boss
happy. Transferred to another site (with the boss) before the axe hit
us.

Old December 1st 20, 05:45 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/30/2020 1:12 PM, dpb wrote:
On 11/30/2020 9:47 AM, dpb wrote:
[...]

Exactly. You pay a premium for a diesel added to a pick up, not so
much, percentage wise, with a big rig.

Old December 1st 20, 05:54 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/29/2020 10:25 PM, Bill wrote:
Bill wrote:
J. Clarke wrote:
On Sat, 28 Nov 2020 22:48:09 -0500, Bill wrote:

wrote:
On Sat, 28 Nov 2020 21:46:29 -0500, Bill wrote:

wrote:

I have just over 100K on my F150.¬* So far, the only things I've
replaced are batteries(2), tires(1 set), brakes, and plugs.¬* Of
course
oil, filters, and all the routine stuff.

Did you get the 5.0L, V8?

Yes.¬* Didn't think a "truck" and "turbo" went together well.

Thanks, good point! As far as my "uninformed" opinion goes, turbo
translates into "shorter lifespan". This probably doesn't trouble the
manufacturers that much.

Doesn't seem to bother the people who buy 18-wheelers very much
either.

It's hard to compare them.¬* I'm not saying that you couldn't build a
long-lasting turbo engine.¬* Just that pound for pound, the turbo engine
probably ought to weigh more to be competitive, and I'm not sure
that's the case for consumer-grade truck engines.¬* Engines designed
for 18-wheelers surely are built to completely different
specifications. Surely, someone must have generated some data by now.

Just happen to encounter this today Here's a relative expert (LOL)
: )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkYS6mpwiSM

Scotty is a local Houston, "goober". One of the local TV stations gave
him a spot to talk cars once a week. That did not last long.