Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Where is Grizzly Band Saw Made?

On Sat, 28 Nov 2020 18:04:34 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Saturday, November 28, 2020 at 6:55:56 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Sat, 28 Nov 2020 10:55:38 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:
On 11/27/2020 1:46 PM, Spalted Walt wrote:
Leon wrote:

Take Ford for example.... I bought a 2019 F150 last year and it is a
really nice vehicle but it has had a number of issues. Stupid issues
that the dealer nor factory rep could figure out.

Shoulda got a SILVERAYDO https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfHtcUZXljw

LOL

Had one of those too. They break down repeatedly with the same problem.

97 Silverado. 2 Alternators, Water Pump, 2 Intake manifold gaskets, 2
heater heater hose couplings. Blower motor.

I used to work at a GM dealership, Service Sales Manager, Parts
Manager, and the GM for an AC/Delco wholesale distributor.

We stocked hundreds of single part number AC compressors, Starters,
Alternators, and blower motors.

I have just over 100K on my F150. So far, the only things I've
replaced are batteries(2), tires(1 set), brakes, and plugs. Of course
oil, filters, and all the routine stuff.

This is the only vehicle I've had that's gone over 100K. My Ranger
might have limped over the line, before it was put out of its misery.

Current Family Hondas: 2017 Odyssey EX-L, 2019 HR-V EX-L,
2011 CR-V EX, 2007 CR-V EX-L

Former Family Hondas: 2004 Odyssey LX, 2006 Odyssey EX-L,
2007 Civic LX, 2003 Element EX AWD

Except for the 17 Ody and 19 HR-V, all of the other vehicles
either have or did have well over 100K when they were either
sold or traded in. The 04 and 06 Odyssey's had over 160K.

One word: Rust.

I moved South (from Vermont) with the Ranger. After a couple of years
in Alabama, we moved 70mi up to the ATL area. The truck moved all my
tools and bunch of other stuff. There was a pretty bad squeak in the
read suspension so I took it in, thinking it needed new struts.
Well... he *leaf* springs were rubbing against the frame. The spring
attachment points would have been rust, if they were still there.
"It's dead, Jim."

Some of the others were used but mostly rust got to them before
mechanical stuff. My '74 Rustang-II went three years before it turned
to (d0rust.

The insurance company bought the 04 Ody...

https://i.imgur.com/A5gCcsO.jpg

I've seen that car at the Home Depot.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 28 Nov 2020 21:46:29 -0500, Bill wrote:

wrote:

I have just over 100K on my F150. So far, the only things I've
replaced are batteries(2), tires(1 set), brakes, and plugs. Of course
oil, filters, and all the routine stuff.

Did you get the 5.0L, V8?

Yes. Didn't think a "truck" and "turbo" went together well.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

[...]

All of my Hondas have survived the winters of Western NY and New
England with hardly any rust to speak of. Rust was never a reason to
have gotten rid of any of them. Well, I guess I shouldn't say that about
the 07 Civic. A few months ago it needed about $1900 in repairs, which
included a rotted out exhaust system. That, by itself, wasn't the reason
the 19 HR-V joined the family, but it was a contributing factor.

The only vehicle that ever succumbed to rust was an 86 Subaru. One of
the rear seat belt mounting plates pulled right out of the wheel well.
Luckily it happened when I tugged on the seat belt after installing a car
seat and not the first time I hit the brakes hard. It didn't take much for me
to pull it out. I'm sure the first panic stop would have sent my kid flying.

The insurance company bought the 04 Ody...

https://i.imgur.com/A5gCcsO.jpg

I've seen that car at the Home Depot.

Not that one. ;-)

She was totaled and never even sold at auction. At first glance, it doesn't
look that bad, but if you look closely you can see that the driver's door
doesn't line up with the slider. The tree hit the top of the window shield
right at the A pillar, bent the roof and pushed the door backwards.
Then it slid down onto the hood. When they lifted the tree off, the top
mount of the strut had punctured the hood. Lots of busted stuff
under the hood and the van didn't sit level anymore.

If you need any indication of how heavy the tree was, look at the front tire.
It's not flat, just squished. It came back to full height when the tree was lifted
off.

The funniest part was that myself and three of my co-workers (CW) were
standing at my 2nd floor office window watching a micro-burst blow through
the parking lot. The sideways rain and blowing debris was so bad that we
couldn't see the first row of cars just below my window.

As the air started to clear, and the back of the lot slowly came into view, the
conversation went like this:

CW #1: Hey, it looks like a tree got blown down.
CW #2: Yeah, I think it's laying on someone's car.
CW #3: Hey, Derby, isn't that your van?
Me: Oh sh!t... it sure is.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 29 Nov 2020 01:51:08 -0500, Bill wrote:

J. Clarke wrote:

wrote:

I have just over 100K on my F150. So far, the only things I've
replaced are batteries(2), tires(1 set), brakes, and plugs. Of course
oil, filters, and all the routine stuff.

Did you get the 5.0L, V8?

Yes. Didn't think a "truck" and "turbo" went together well.

Thanks, good point! As far as my "uninformed" opinion goes, turbo
translates into "shorter lifespan". This probably doesn't trouble the
manufacturers that much.

Doesn't seem to bother the people who buy 18-wheelers very much
either.

It's hard to compare them. I'm not saying that you couldn't build a
long-lasting turbo engine. Just that pound for pound, the turbo engine
probably ought to weigh more to be competitive, and I'm not sure that's
the case for consumer-grade truck engines. Engines designed for
18-wheelers surely are built to completely different specifications.
Surely, someone must have generated some data by now.

It's really too soon to tell but the current generation of turbo
engines were designed from the ground up to be turbo engines. I
believe if you compare the turbo engines to non-turbo of the same
displacement you'll find that they are heavier, but they're lighter
than non-turbo engines of the same power output.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/29/2020 9:29 AM, Leon wrote:

It is not unusual for an 18 wheeler engine to go 1,000,000 miles and to
be rebuilt a time or two after that.

That's at least as much to do with that a truck tractor is solid-enough
to last as well and that 90% of those 1M are OTR.

The consumer pickemup otoh, isn't intended for such longevity by
design--even if were, people simply get tired of personal vehicles for
other reasons first.

The last Duramax I had had almost 500K when traded; it's still in use as
I see it occasionally around town. I fully expect at least that with
this one as well...but the rest of the truck was getting frayed enough
and, like you, we decided wanted a better ride and the four doors, so
gave up two in place of one for it.

BIL has the Ford in a utility service vehicle that I know has almost
750K on it and is still in excellent shape; we took it to NM a couple
years ago...

Posted to rec.woodworking

(Scott Lurndal) wrote:

The replacement colorado meh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__tzPkZywdE

LOL
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/29/2020 11:51 AM, dpb wrote:
On 11/29/2020 9:29 AM, Leon wrote:

It is not unusual for an 18 wheeler engine to go 1,000,000 miles and
to be rebuilt a time or two after that.

That's at least as much to do with that a truck tractor is solid-enough
to last as well and that 90% of those 1M are OTR.

LOL Yeah, there is that.

The consumer pickemup otoh, isn't intended for such longevity by
design--even if were, people simply get tired of personal vehicles for
other reasons first.

The last Duramax I had had almost 500K when traded; it's still in use as
I see it occasionally around town.Â* I fully expect at least that with
this one as well...but the rest of the truck was getting frayed enough
and, like you, we decided wanted a better ride and the four doors, so
gave up two in place of one for it.

No doubt that some of the pick up diesels will go and go. BUT the Ford
pick up diesel that "had" such a great reputation.....well Ford just
recently lost an enormous class action law suite over that engine.

And then there is the price of the option to get those diesel engines....

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/29/2020 7:56 PM, Leon wrote:
On 11/29/2020 11:51 AM, dpb wrote:
On 11/29/2020 9:29 AM, Leon wrote:

It is not unusual for an 18 wheeler engine to go 1,000,000 miles and
to be rebuilt a time or two after that.

That's at least as much to do with that a truck tractor is
solid-enough to last as well and that 90% of those 1M are OTR.

LOL Yeah, there is that.

The consumer pickemup otoh, isn't intended for such longevity by
design--even if were, people simply get tired of personal vehicles for
other reasons first.

The last Duramax I had had almost 500K when traded; it's still in use
as I see it occasionally around town.Â* I fully expect at least that
with this one as well...but the rest of the truck was getting frayed
enough and, like you, we decided wanted a better ride and the four
doors, so gave up two in place of one for it.

No doubt that some of the pick up diesels willÂ* go and go.Â* BUT the Ford
pick up diesel that "had" such a great reputation.....well Ford just
recently lost an enormous class action law suite over that engine.

Hadn't heard anything about it...surprises me, but never had a Ford
truck on the place. But there surely are a lot of them around and not
heard any of the guys with them grouching about the engine. One of the
guys in the old coffee klatch when we were still meeting didn't like his
new one nearly as well, but it wasn't the engine he complained about but
all the foo-fah electronics.

And then there is the price of the option to get those diesel engines....

And what did that truck tractor diesel cost to get the 1M miles in
comparison? Pickemup diesels are not that expensive in comparison--it's
easy to drop $50K on gas model any more.

The mileage difference w/ the Duramax is impressive and makes it up plus
if one really uses the truck as a truck (very few PUs by comparison
really are trucks) it's incomparable.

We got by w/ gas for years back in the 50s-60s-70s and pulled the guts
out of 'em w/ anhydrous trailers, bale beds, etc., etc., ... but I'd
never go back.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/30/2020 8:46 AM, dpb wrote:
[...]

truck on the place.Â* But there surely are a lot of them around and not
heard any of the guys with them grouching about the engine.Â* One of the
guys in the old coffee klatch when we were still meeting didn't like his
new one nearly as well, but it wasn't the engine he complained about but
all the foo-fah electronics.

And then there is the price of the option to get those diesel engines....

And what did that truck tractor diesel cost to get the 1M miles in
comparison?Â* Pickemup diesels are not that expensive in comparison--it's
easy to drop $50K on gas model any more.

I cannot say what rebuilding would cost.

In the case of choosing a new F250 with the Power Stroke Diesel, you
start with an XL-250 for $35675.00 and add 30% for the diesel. $10,495.00

Apparently Ford knew about a problem with their 6.0 Powerstroke diesel
going back to 2014. I'm not certain if the 6.7 is an improvement or
status quo.

https://fordauthority.com/2020/10/6-...-against-ford/

The mileage difference w/ the Duramax is impressive and makes it up plus
if one really uses the truck as a truck (very few PUs by comparison
really are trucks) it's incomparable.

We got by w/ gas for years back in the 50s-60s-70s and pulled the guts
out of 'em w/ anhydrous trailers, bale beds, etc., etc., ... but I'd
never go back.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/30/2020 9:02 AM, Leon wrote:
On 11/30/2020 8:46 AM, dpb wrote:
On 11/29/2020 7:56 PM, Leon wrote:
On 11/29/2020 11:51 AM, dpb wrote:
On 11/29/2020 9:29 AM, Leon wrote:

It is not unusual for an 18 wheeler engine to go 1,000,000 miles
and to be rebuilt a time or two after that.

That's at least as much to do with that a truck tractor is
solid-enough to last as well and that 90% of those 1M are OTR.

LOL Yeah, there is that.

The consumer pickemup otoh, isn't intended for such longevity by
design--even if were, people simply get tired of personal vehicles
for other reasons first.

The last Duramax I had had almost 500K when traded; it's still in
use as I see it occasionally around town.Â* I fully expect at least
[...]

Certified rebuilds will be $20-40K typical.

A quick look found 455 hp Detroit w/ 300K on 2019 remanufacture date
available for $13,500 -- seemed pretty typical offerings.

A 16V71 long block assembly alone is going for $45,000 -- that's
remanufactured w/ OEM parts, not even a new one.

In the case of choosing a new F250 with the Power Stroke Diesel, you
start with an XL-250 for $35675.00 and add 30% for the diesel.Â* $10,495.00

While it's not priced as an option for a truck tractor, you'll be paying
at least 2X that as part of the sticker price for a lower end engine.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/30/2020 9:47 AM, dpb wrote:
[...]

Pricing is hard to come by for commercial stuff online, but the one I
did find for Kenworth HD trucks goes from about $1,000 for minimum
upgrade from standard engine (PACCAR PX/MX series base) to range from
$3,000-$5,000 for UPGRADES to the PX/MX next series up, depending on how
much a performance jump took. To the CUMMINS X15 was from $4,000 to
$11,000 UPGRADE differential. These were 2017 data.

Those are all upgrades over base; not including what the base engine
itself cost.

As somebody else said, simply not comparable...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 30 Nov 2020 08:17:04 GMT, Puckdropper
wrote:

wrote in
:

ISO9000 has nothing to do with quality. It's all about process. You
can make a crappy product, as long as you follow the process to make
it. ISO9000 = Make one crappy product then make them all crappy.

Reminds me of a story from our missing friend Robatoy:
http://puckdroppersplace.us/rec.wood...0Wilsonart.txt

Yeah, I got stuck being an ISO-9k paper-generator when it first came
out. Fortunately it was only one small project. All of the
coordinators that brought the system into the company (IBM BTW)for the
site were laid off right after they got the certifications.

I was a project leader so got stuck putting together the documents for
my project. It was to be a test to show that the whole area was
certifiable (well...). I had to defend my process as an example of
what all similar projects were doing (so they could get some work
done). I had a notebook full of "here's what we're going to do" BS.
Well, it wasn't quite full. The back half was blank (more difficult
stuff I didn't have time to get to). I kid you not, the auditors said
they were happy with our "process", the page before the null process
started. It was all BS, of course. No one cared. Audit passed. Boss
happy. Transferred to another site (with the boss) before the axe hit
us.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/30/2020 1:12 PM, dpb wrote:
On 11/30/2020 9:47 AM, dpb wrote:
[...]

much a performance jump took.Â* To the CUMMINS X15 was from $4,000 to
$11,000 UPGRADE differential.Â* These were 2017 data.

Those are all upgrades over base; not including what the base engine
itself cost.

As somebody else said, simply not comparable...

Exactly. You pay a premium for a diesel added to a pick up, not so
much, percentage wise, with a big rig.