Old November 29th 20, 03:46 AM posted to rec.woodworking

Default Where is Grizzly Band Saw Made?

wrote:

I have just over 100K on my F150. So far, the only things I've
replaced are batteries(2), tires(1 set), brakes, and plugs. Of course
oil, filters, and all the routine stuff.

Did you get the 5.0L, V8?

Old November 29th 20, 04:20 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 28 Nov 2020 18:04:34 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Saturday, November 28, 2020 at 6:55:56 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Sat, 28 Nov 2020 10:55:38 -0600, Leon [email protected]
wrote:
On 11/27/2020 1:46 PM, Spalted Walt wrote:
Leon wrote:

Take Ford for example.... I bought a 2019 F150 last year and it is a
really nice vehicle but it has had a number of issues. Stupid issues
that the dealer nor factory rep could figure out.

Shoulda got a SILVERAYDO https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfHtcUZXljw

LOL

Had one of those too. They break down repeatedly with the same problem.

97 Silverado. 2 Alternators, Water Pump, 2 Intake manifold gaskets, 2
heater heater hose couplings. Blower motor.

I used to work at a GM dealership, Service Sales Manager, Parts
Manager, and the GM for an AC/Delco wholesale distributor.

We stocked hundreds of single part number AC compressors, Starters,
Alternators, and blower motors.

I have just over 100K on my F150. So far, the only things I've
replaced are batteries(2), tires(1 set), brakes, and plugs. Of course
oil, filters, and all the routine stuff.

This is the only vehicle I've had that's gone over 100K. My Ranger
might have limped over the line, before it was put out of its misery.

Current Family Hondas: 2017 Odyssey EX-L, 2019 HR-V EX-L,
2011 CR-V EX, 2007 CR-V EX-L

Former Family Hondas: 2004 Odyssey LX, 2006 Odyssey EX-L,
2007 Civic LX, 2003 Element EX AWD

Except for the 17 Ody and 19 HR-V, all of the other vehicles
either have or did have well over 100K when they were either
sold or traded in. The 04 and 06 Odyssey's had over 160K.

One word: Rust.

I moved South (from Vermont) with the Ranger. After a couple of years
in Alabama, we moved 70mi up to the ATL area. The truck moved all my
tools and bunch of other stuff. There was a pretty bad squeak in the
read suspension so I took it in, thinking it needed new struts.
Well... he *leaf* springs were rubbing against the frame. The spring
attachment points would have been rust, if they were still there.
"It's dead, Jim."

Some of the others were used but mostly rust got to them before
mechanical stuff. My '74 Rustang-II went three years before it turned
to (d0rust.

The insurance company bought the 04 Ody...

https://i.imgur.com/A5gCcsO.jpg

I've seen that car at the Home Depot.
Old November 29th 20, 04:21 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 28 Nov 2020 21:46:29 -0500, Bill wrote:

wrote:

I have just over 100K on my F150. So far, the only things I've
replaced are batteries(2), tires(1 set), brakes, and plugs. Of course
oil, filters, and all the routine stuff.

Did you get the 5.0L, V8?

Yes. Didn't think a "truck" and "turbo" went together well.
Old November 29th 20, 05:50 AM posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

[...]

All of my Hondas have survived the winters of Western NY and New
England with hardly any rust to speak of. Rust was never a reason to
have gotten rid of any of them. Well, I guess I shouldn't say that about
the 07 Civic. A few months ago it needed about $1900 in repairs, which
included a rotted out exhaust system. That, by itself, wasn't the reason
the 19 HR-V joined the family, but it was a contributing factor.

The only vehicle that ever succumbed to rust was an 86 Subaru. One of
the rear seat belt mounting plates pulled right out of the wheel well.
Luckily it happened when I tugged on the seat belt after installing a car
seat and not the first time I hit the brakes hard. It didn't take much for me
to pull it out. I'm sure the first panic stop would have sent my kid flying.

The insurance company bought the 04 Ody...

https://i.imgur.com/A5gCcsO.jpg

I've seen that car at the Home Depot.

Not that one. ;-)

She was totaled and never even sold at auction. At first glance, it doesn't
look that bad, but if you look closely you can see that the driver's door
doesn't line up with the slider. The tree hit the top of the window shield
right at the A pillar, bent the roof and pushed the door backwards.
Then it slid down onto the hood. When they lifted the tree off, the top
mount of the strut had punctured the hood. Lots of busted stuff
under the hood and the van didn't sit level anymore.

If you need any indication of how heavy the tree was, look at the front tire.
It's not flat, just squished. It came back to full height when the tree was lifted
off.

The funniest part was that myself and three of my co-workers (CW) were
standing at my 2nd floor office window watching a micro-burst blow through
the parking lot. The sideways rain and blowing debris was so bad that we
couldn't see the first row of cars just below my window.

As the air started to clear, and the back of the lot slowly came into view, the
conversation went like this:

CW #1: Hey, it looks like a tree got blown down.
CW #2: Yeah, I think it's laying on someone's car.
CW #3: Hey, Derby, isn't that your van?
Me: Oh sh!t... it sure is.

Old November 29th 20, 08:58 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 29 Nov 2020 01:51:08 -0500, Bill wrote:

J. Clarke wrote:

wrote:

I have just over 100K on my F150. So far, the only things I've
replaced are batteries(2), tires(1 set), brakes, and plugs. Of course
oil, filters, and all the routine stuff.

Did you get the 5.0L, V8?

Yes. Didn't think a "truck" and "turbo" went together well.

Thanks, good point! As far as my "uninformed" opinion goes, turbo
translates into "shorter lifespan". This probably doesn't trouble the
manufacturers that much.

Doesn't seem to bother the people who buy 18-wheelers very much
either.

It's hard to compare them. I'm not saying that you couldn't build a
long-lasting turbo engine. Just that pound for pound, the turbo engine
probably ought to weigh more to be competitive, and I'm not sure that's
the case for consumer-grade truck engines. Engines designed for
18-wheelers surely are built to completely different specifications.
Surely, someone must have generated some data by now.

It's really too soon to tell but the current generation of turbo
engines were designed from the ground up to be turbo engines. I
believe if you compare the turbo engines to non-turbo of the same
displacement you'll find that they are heavier, but they're lighter
than non-turbo engines of the same power output.
Old November 29th 20, 04:29 PM posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

FWIW turbo diesels in 18 wheelers and those in pick up trucks are
entirely different animals.

It is not unusual for an 18 wheeler engine to go 1,000,000 miles and to
be rebuilt a time or two after that.