DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Stair help (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/682586-stair-help.html)

swalker November 25th 20 10:13 PM

Stair help

I need to replace a set of steps that have a rise of 25" and a width
of 53".

The stairs land on a sloped concrete carport and the slope across the
53" is 2 inches.

How do I approach this?

The current stairs have 3 steps and then a small step to the porch.
Totally unacceptable and dangerous.

Thanks for any advice.

DerbyDad03 November 25th 20 11:21 PM

Stair help

On Wednesday, November 25, 2020 at 4:13:46 PM UTC-5, swalker wrote:
I need to replace a set of steps that have a rise of 25" and a width
of 53".

The stairs land on a sloped concrete carport and the slope across the
53" is 2 inches.

How do I approach this?

The current stairs have 3 steps and then a small step to the porch.
Totally unacceptable and dangerous.

Thanks for any advice.

You didn't mention the run, but it may not matter for the general concept.

Assuming that nothing can be done to level the floor, you will need to accept
that the rise of the first step will not be even across the width.

53" could be done with 3 stringers ~18" OC. The first thing to determine is
where will most people walk on the the steps. If the center will be used the
most, use that overall rise in your stringer calculations. If there will be a
handrail on the right (or left) and you think that most people will use the
handrail, use that side as the rise in your calculations.

Set the proper rise (consistent with the rise of the other steps) of the first
step at the "most used" area and then add/subtract from the bottom of the
other stringers (or base plate) to compensate for the 2 inch slope.

The goal is to set the rise of the most used area to be consistent over the entire
run.

If after figuring that out, you find that either side of the first step is unacceptable
as far as the rise goes, you should be able to find a number that you are comfortable
with and spread the difference across all steps.

Since it's a carport, I suggest a PT plate at the base but be sure to factor that into
your calculations.

DerbyDad03 November 25th 20 11:51 PM

Stair help

On Wednesday, November 25, 2020 at 4:13:46 PM UTC-5, swalker wrote:
I need to replace a set of steps that have a rise of 25" and a width
of 53".

The stairs land on a sloped concrete carport and the slope across the
53" is 2 inches.

How do I approach this?

The current stairs have 3 steps and then a small step to the porch.
Totally unacceptable and dangerous.

Thanks for any advice.

This calculator looks fairly comprehensive.

https://www.decks.com/calculators/stairs

pyotr filipivich November 26th 20 12:47 AM

Stair help

swalker on Wed, 25 Nov 2020 15:13:34 -0600 typed in
rec.woodworking the following:
I need to replace a set of steps that have a rise of 25" and a width
of 53".

The stairs land on a sloped concrete carport and the slope across the
53" is 2 inches.

How do I approach this?

The current stairs have 3 steps and then a small step to the porch.
Totally unacceptable and dangerous.

Thanks for any advice.

Make any risers supports come out even. Better to have four
"short" steps, or three "long" ones.

If the steps are not able to meet the concrete "square" (that is
there is a slope left to right as you face the stairs), you might want
to just put a landing on the concrete and work to that.

--
pyotr filipivich

DerbyDad03 November 26th 20 01:32 AM

Stair help

On Wednesday, November 25, 2020 at 6:45:51 PM UTC-5, pyotr filipivich wrote:
swalker on Wed, 25 Nov 2020 15:13:34 -0600 typed in
rec.woodworking the following:
I need to replace a set of steps that have a rise of 25" and a width
of 53".

The stairs land on a sloped concrete carport and the slope across the
53" is 2 inches.

How do I approach this?

The current stairs have 3 steps and then a small step to the porch.
Totally unacceptable and dangerous.

Thanks for any advice.

Make any risers supports come out even. Better to have four
"short" steps, or three "long" ones.

If the steps are not able to meet the concrete "square" (that is
there is a slope left to right as you face the stairs), you might want
to just put a landing on the concrete and work to that.

Either the first step will not have an even rise or the platform will not
have an even rise.

What's the point of the platform?

Just Wondering[_4_] November 26th 20 01:36 AM

Stair help

On 11/25/2020 2:13 PM, swalker wrote:
I need to replace a set of steps that have a rise of 25" and a width
of 53".

The stairs land on a sloped concrete carport and the slope across the
53" is 2 inches.

How do I approach this?

The current stairs have 3 steps and then a small step to the porch.
Totally unacceptable and dangerous.

Thanks for any advice.

The World Wide Web is your friend.

How to Build Stairs
https://www.wikihow.com/Build-Stairs

How To Build Stairs in 3 Easy Steps
https://www.popularmechanics.com/hom...-build-stairs/

Stair Calculator
https://concalculator.com/stair-calculator/

DerbyDad03 November 26th 20 02:00 AM

Stair help

On Wednesday, November 25, 2020 at 7:36:51 PM UTC-5, Just Wondering wrote:
On 11/25/2020 2:13 PM, swalker wrote:
I need to replace a set of steps that have a rise of 25" and a width
of 53".

The stairs land on a sloped concrete carport and the slope across the
53" is 2 inches.

How do I approach this?

The current stairs have 3 steps and then a small step to the porch.
Totally unacceptable and dangerous.

Thanks for any advice.

The World Wide Web is your friend.

How to Build Stairs
https://www.wikihow.com/Build-Stairs

How To Build Stairs in 3 Easy Steps
https://www.popularmechanics.com/hom...-build-stairs/

Stair Calculator
https://concalculator.com/stair-calculator/

Which one of them explained how to deal with the sloped floor?

Just Wondering[_4_] November 26th 20 09:42 AM

Stair help

On 11/25/2020 6:00 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Wednesday, November 25, 2020 at 7:36:51 PM UTC-5, Just Wondering wrote:
On 11/25/2020 2:13 PM, swalker wrote:
I need to replace a set of steps that have a rise of 25" and a width
of 53".

The stairs land on a sloped concrete carport and the slope across the
53" is 2 inches.

How do I approach this?

The current stairs have 3 steps and then a small step to the porch.
Totally unacceptable and dangerous.

Thanks for any advice.

The World Wide Web is your friend.

How to Build Stairs
https://www.wikihow.com/Build-Stairs

How To Build Stairs in 3 Easy Steps
https://www.popularmechanics.com/hom...-build-stairs/

Stair Calculator
https://concalculator.com/stair-calculator/

Which one of them explained how to deal with the sloped floor?

I assume you would measure/cut the risers so that the bottom tread
would give the right stair rise where the staircase meets the floor,
and cut the bottom of the stringer to match the slope. If you're
uncertain, cut a stringer pattern from the cheapest stiff material
you can find. Improvise, adapt, and overcome. That, or hire a
professional.

J. Clarke[_5_] November 26th 20 11:15 AM

Stair help

On Thu, 26 Nov 2020 01:42:50 -0700, Just Wondering wrote:

[...]

Just draw a damned picture. People try to get way too fancy with some
of this stuff. Once the picture looks right, then make a template to
double check. If you don't have something big enough and are too
cheap/poor to buy a piece of foam at Home Depot, dig a TV box out of
the dumpster behind Best Buy.

DerbyDad03 November 26th 20 03:15 PM

Stair help

On Thursday, November 26, 2020 at 3:42:55 AM UTC-5, Just Wondering wrote:
[...]

swalker said: "I need to replace a set of steps that have a rise of 25" and
a width of 53". The stairs land on a sloped concrete carport and the slope
across the 53" is 2 inches."

Cutting the bottom of the stringer to match the slope is a given. It's the *rise*
of the first step that is the real issue here.

As my grandfather used to say "The feet remember." That's why, ideally, we
want the rise of each step to be the same. In this situation the rise of the
first step cannot be even across the 53" because the floor is sloped.

A typical set of stairs with a 25" rise and a 10" step run (tread depth) would
use a step rise of 6.25". (That may result in too much run for the OP's situation,
but that doesn't matter for the explanation of the general concept.)

53" is a wide staircase and we don't know where that 25" rise was measured.

So using a rise of 6.25", we now need to account for the 2" slope of the floor.

If the 25" rise was measured at the center of the steps, then one end of the
first step would need to use a 5.25" rise and the other would need to use
7.25". (Level step, unlevel floor)

If the 25" rise was measured at either end of the 53", then the opposite end
of the first step would need a rise of either 8.25" or 4.25".

Bottom line is that the bottom step needs to be level but since the floor is
sloped, the rise can not be the same across the 53".

Now let's bring in the users. Where will those users walk on the steps most
of the time? If they will usually use the middle of the steps, then the middle
of the first step should use the 6.25" rise and let the ends be higher and
lower. That way, the rise will *usually* be the same for the users for all steps.

If the users will usually walk up either the left or right of the stairs, then use
the 6.25" rise on that side and let the other end be higher or lower depending
on which direction the slope runs.

In this situation, where the slope of the floor forces an uneven rise across the
first step, the next best thing is to set the rise to be consistent in the area
where the stairs will be used the most.