Old November 27th 20, 01:43 AM posted to rec.woodworking

Default Stair help

On Thursday, November 26, 2020 at 5:53:28 PM UTC-5, swalker wrote:
On Wed, 25 Nov 2020 15:13:34 -0600, swalker wrote:

I need to replace a set of steps that have a rise of 25" and a width
of 53".

The stairs land on a sloped concrete carport and the slope across the
53" is 2 inches.

How do I approach this?

The current stairs have 3 steps and then a small step to the porch.
Totally unacceptable and dangerous.

Thanks for any advice.

After reading all the options offered I think the one that would work
best for me is to place the 1st step on the concrete at the high end,
which is left when viewed from the bottom, level it and work up from
there. Traffic on the steps goes up toward the right side where the
hand rail is.

Thanks for all the advice and options.

So the first step will have a lower rise on the left than on the right.

The overall rise will be measured on the far right and all calculations
will be based on that measurement, correct?

Put a tall plant on the left side of the first step to "force" people
towards the right. ;-)

Old November 27th 20, 03:41 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 26 Nov 2020 12:27:41 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Thursday, November 26, 2020 at 2:02:45 PM UTC-5, dpb wrote:
On 11/26/2020 11:59 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Thursday, November 26, 2020 at 12:39:38 PM UTC-5, dpb wrote:
On 11/26/2020 11:04 AM, pyotr filipivich wrote:
DerbyDad03 on Wed, 25 Nov 2020 16:32:58 -0800
What's the point of the platform?

to provide a flat, level landing on the sloped slab. It will be
safer than having a "odd" riser. As the saying goes "the feet
remember" - a step which is off is a tripping hazard.

You could replace the slab, or put in a concrete landing so that
people will not be stepping down a different distance depending on
which side of the stairs they come down.
+1

An tapered edge there instead of a square corner would also help as
would a hazard indicator like a colored section to highlight the
discontinuity.

Sounds as though the slab should have been poured initially with two
grades; if were new construction I'd at least consider to go back to the
builder for redress...

Trying to minimize the tread height difference from one side to another
is better than nothing, certainly.

--

One of my earlier suggestions was to pour a level landing and then
let the "pad" gradually slope away from the bottom step.

But later than this one...

The time stamp on my "let the floor itself slope away
from the stairs in gentle manner" shows 9:59AM.

While that would extend the run in a certain manner, a poured slab could
be driven/parked on, which a wooden platform would prevent.

Not necessarily, no.

Not necessarily, true. As I've said multiple times, we don't know enough about
the layout of the carport to know if that would work.

It would really help if we knew if there was an issue with having available
room for a longer run. For all we know, the reason that there is currently
"3 steps and then a small step to the porch" could be because of limited
space for the run of the stairs.

"The stairs land on a sloped concrete carport..."

Yep...that's basically what all of these posts have been trying to address.

Mabee build a landing and put the steps at 90 degrees to a "level"
base??
Old November 28th 20, 04:33 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Correct and good idea about the plant. Thanks.

Old November 28th 20, 05:25 PM posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

A sign that says "Walk Left" will work just as well.
Old November 28th 20, 07:21 PM posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

Who is Walk and where did (s)he go?

Old November 29th 20, 04:48 AM posted to rec.woodworking

on Sat, 28 Nov 2020 18:45:02 -0500 typed in
rec.woodworking the following:

wrote:
[...]

You're right, she did.
--