Old November 6th 20, 03:10 AM posted to rec.woodworking

Default Edge nailing plywood, anti-friction

On Thu, 5 Nov 2020 17:52:02 -0500, Dave
wrote:

On 11/5/20 2:33 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Thursday, November 5, 2020 at 1:52:55 PM UTC-5, Dave wrote:
I need to make some boxes to be used as drawers on a shelf. I plan to
use 1-by wood for the sides and plywood for the bottom (1/2"). The way
I see this going together is to place a small bead of glue on the sides
of the plywood, then using 18 ga. brads to hold the wood to the ply
until the glue dries. Anyone done this? Any thoughts to improve the idea?

The other question is finding some sort of anti-friction plastic or tape
to place on the bottom of the box to make it slide easier. Any ideas?

Thanks for any help.

Dave,

Why not cut a 1/4" dado in the sides and use 1/4" plywood for the
drawer bottom? That's the more common (and better) way to build
a drawer.

I agree, but don't have a table saw (yet) or a router (yet). Santa is
coming though, so... That is why I decided to do things this way.

What kind of saw _do_ you have?

Here's how to make a guide that can give you quite surprisingly good
cutting precision.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9an9cAFHdXA

Total cost under 20 bucks and 15 minutes or so of your time (plus time
for glue to dry).

Lots of options for tape...Google is your friend.

https://www.rockler.com/nylo-tape-fr...wer-slide-tape

Thanks!

Another option is bottom mount drawer slides, unless you need to remove
drawers completely during use. Full extension slides would give you
full access and support while the drawer is open.

Slides are the way to go, but will take more time and I have a lot to
get done.

Wouldn't your method always require 2 hands - one to support the drawer,
the other to grab the contents? Seems like a PITB.

I agree, this is one of the worst ways to do it. But if Santa comes,
then I can design a proper storage system where front doors don't get in
the way of removing the drawers.

Dave,

Old November 6th 20, 03:33 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/5/2020 9:10 PM, J. Clarke wrote:
I agree, but don't have a table saw (yet) or a router (yet). Santa is
coming though, so... That is why I decided to do things this way.

What kind of tools do you have?

You do not need a table saw or a router to cut a dado.

You can do a good job with a circular saw (Skill saw type) and a good
chisel.

Cut two Cuts of the proper depth so the outside edges are just a hair
lager than a 1/4 assume you are using 1/4 plywood.

Carefully remove the center material with a hammer and clean it up with
the chisel.

T have a table saw with dado and a router, I find it can be done as
quick with the above method as with either tool
Old November 6th 20, 03:44 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Dave writes:
[...]

For a one-off drawer, you can cut the dados with a backsaw and a chisel.

Old November 6th 20, 04:32 PM posted to rec.woodworking

For a one-off drawer, you can cut the dados with a backsaw and a chisel.

Or dado-less is possible if support strips are glued & screwed
along the inside bottom of the sides and front & back ?
to support the drawer bottom. Not as strong as a dado but
quite adequate for average household stuff.
John T.

Old November 6th 20, 07:03 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, November 6, 2020 at 10:27:22 AM UTC-5, wrote:

For a one-off drawer, you can cut the dados with a backsaw and a chisel.

Or dado-less is possible if support strips are glued & screwed
along the inside bottom of the sides and front & back ?
to support the drawer bottom. Not as strong as a dado but
quite adequate for average household stuff.
John T.

And the drawer bottom doesn't need to be as accurately cut.

Undersize the drawer bottom to account for the inaccurate cuts that
the home center will make, add the strips and drop the bottom in.

Heck, the drawer wouldn't even have to be square. Adjusting the size
of a drop in bottom could be done with a saw, a file, sandpaper, whatever.

In addition, depending on the size of the drawer, 1/4 bottoms might be
enough. Even easier to adjust.

trailing edge or leading edge Bill Wright[_3_] UK diy 7 October 20th 19 07:20 PM
I used rake edge instead of drip edge Johnny[_6_] Home Repair 1 June 9th 17 08:46 AM
How to edge stone flooring at the wall's edge? Robert Macy[_2_] Home Repair 10 August 1st 13 03:20 AM
Advice on plywood edge T Woodworking 16 February 14th 05 06:37 AM
Hardwood edge laminating to plywood Ryan Woodworking 3 January 28th 05 03:22 AM