Old October 18th 20, 11:33 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Default One Hobby Supports Another, Plus

Sonny wrote:

On Saturday, October 17, 2020 at 6:37:41 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

Perhaps you could do some work with thse thread cutters for individuals.
;~)

That crossed my mind. I've never heard of anyone wanting or looking for large threaders or the service. Maybe, since large threaders are not so readily available, folks just don't inquire or mention the need.

~1/2" smaller dia, ~$950 less expensive: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076MR39LF

Since these are so expensive, I think I'd have a user come to my shop and they do the work. I'd charge a fee for the tool use. I need to learn the tool, see how easy/hard it is to work with, before establishing a rental-use or threading service procedure/policy.

This threader set is a birthday gift to myself, along with a new power washer due to arrive tomorrow.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/PowerBoss-3...ARB/1002651200

Sonny

Old October 18th 20, 11:33 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/18/2020 9:58 AM, Sonny wrote:
On Saturday, October 17, 2020 at 6:37:41 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

Perhaps you could do some work with thse thread cutters for individuals.
;~)

That crossed my mind. I've never heard of anyone wanting or looking for large threaders or the service. Maybe, since large threaders are not so readily available, folks just don't inquire or mention the need.

Since these are so expensive, I think I'd have a user come to my shop and they do the work. I'd charge a fee for the tool use. I need to learn the tool, see how easy/hard it is to work with, before establishing a rental-use or threading service procedure/policy.

This threader set is a birthday gift to myself, along with a new power washer due to arrive tomorrow.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/PowerBoss-3...ARB/1002651200

Sonny

I would not rent the tool out, I would offer the service. You could
keep a small inventory of parts to sell or have custom orders.

Keep us informed how this thing works. ;~)
Old October 19th 20, 12:25 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 16 Oct 2020 09:46:39 -0700 (PDT), Sonny
wrote:

On Friday, October 16, 2020 at 11:43:27 AM UTC-5, Sonny wrote:
On Friday, October 16, 2020 at 10:07:47 AM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

Great looking door!!!

Thanks. I don't have dedicated door tools....

A few more pics, scroll right for 2 mo
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/

Nice!
Old October 19th 20, 12:48 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, October 18, 2020 at 1:52:49 PM UTC-5, J. Clarke wrote:

Or they find another option. For that amount of money I'd have been
tempted to go with a lathe.

Another option: I had asked a machinist if he could make the threads. He thought he could, for $50 a nut. I need 2 nuts.

I have a basic 1950s Craftsman lathe, but it isn't for thread making. Don't know if it can be modified for threading. I don't want another big tool as that, besides, I'm not that confident a turner at all.

Sonny
Old October 19th 20, 12:52 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, October 18, 2020 at 4:33:07 PM UTC-5, Spalted Walt wrote:

~1/2" smaller dia, ~$950 less expensive: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076MR39LF

I want to match what's on the tables. I looked hard at those smaller thread sets. I sensed I'd never be completely satisfied, always knowing I went smaller.

Sonny

Old October 19th 20, 02:00 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, October 18, 2020 at 4:33:24 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

I would not rent the tool out, I would offer the service. You could
keep a small inventory of parts to sell or have custom orders.

Keep us informed how this thing works. ;~)

A parts inventory is a good idea. I'm sure a little practice will help that cause.

There's a video I've watched several times, 2-3 months ago, using this tool. Looks easy enough. I can't locate the video.

Sonny
Old October 19th 20, 02:02 AM posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On Friday, October 16, 2020 at 11:43:27 AM UTC-5, Sonny wrote:
On Friday, October 16, 2020 at 10:07:47 AM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

Great looking door!!!

Thanks. I don't have dedicated door tools....

A few more pics, scroll right for 2 mo
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/

Nice!

Thanks. My nephew better appreciate the time it took.

Sonny
Old October 19th 20, 05:28 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 18 Oct 2020 15:48:39 -0700 (PDT), Sonny
wrote:

On Sunday, October 18, 2020 at 1:52:49 PM UTC-5, J. Clarke wrote:

Or they find another option. For that amount of money I'd have been
tempted to go with a lathe.

Another option: I had asked a machinist if he could make the threads. He thought he could, for $50 a nut. I need 2 nuts.

I have a basic 1950s Craftsman lathe, but it isn't for thread making. Don't know if it can be modified for threading. I don't want another big tool as that, besides, I'm not that confident a turner at all.

I've seen wood lathe tools, from Sorby, intended for cutting threads.
They would only do the bolt (male) side, I think.
Old October 19th 20, 06:19 PM posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On Sunday, October 18, 2020 at 1:52:49 PM UTC-5, J. Clarke wrote:

Or they find another option. For that amount of money I'd have been
tempted to go with a lathe.

Another option: I had asked a machinist if he could make the threads. He thought he could, for $50 a nut. I need 2 nuts.

I have a basic 1950s Craftsman lathe, but it isn't for thread making. Don't know if it can be modified for threading. I don't want another big tool as that, besides, I'm not that confident a turner at all.

I've seen wood lathe tools, from Sorby, intended for cutting threads.
They would only do the bolt (male) side, I think.

Lake Erie Toolworks has the parts, but the wrong size for my tables. I'd have to modify parts of the tables for the Erie parts to fit. Altogether cheaper, but I wanted to maintain the tables originality. I simply got a bit frustrated with finding an alternative I was comfortable with (lots of "make your own threads" videos.... how, what to choose), so I bit the bullet and bought the Dieter Schmid tool.
https://www.lakeerietoolworks.com/co...ise-screw-kits

Sonny
Old October 20th 20, 04:32 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/18/2020 4:33 PM, Spalted Walt wrote:

. . . along with a new power washer due to arrive tomorrow.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/PowerBoss-3...ARB/1002651200

I've had the very same power washer about 7 years now - been a great
machine. Just changed oil yesterday for the first time in memory
[Amsoil Small Engine 10w30].

Dave in SoTex