Posted to rec.woodworking

Default What I Built This Evening...

Something for those of us with small shops and limited storage room...

I picked up a $37 (!) sheet of Radiata Pine plywood and built this scrap
wood cart:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wb6p325NmGo

It took longer than it should have because I had to fight some warpage, but I
forced it into shape and added a few extra screws where needed. I need to put
the casters on tomorrow and I'm trying to decide if I need the dowel holder on
the side. I left the bottom over-sized just in case. It can always be cut off.

It's small, but it'll work for me. A chance to consolidate the scrap into one
spot instead of some in the shed, some in the garage and some under the
basement stairs.

The video page includes a link to the cut sheet and assembly diagram:

https://tinyurl.com/ScrapWoodCart

Full link:

https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...Bin+Plans+.pdf

Posted to rec.woodworking

Now that I've thought about it for a minute or two, maybe I'll shift the
bottom so that all of the excess is on one side (~5") and add a pivoting
arm.

That way I can store pieces that are too long to lift into back bins because
of the low basement ceilings. Just pivot the arm up, slide the pieces in and
pivot the arm back down. Maybe split the arm in the middle.

Good idea, DD03! Smart thinking.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/28/2020 9:55 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Show us what YOU built or it did not happen. ;~)

FWIW my scrap cart is about the same size. Any thing bigger and you end
up with a larger pile of crap. ;~) When it is smaller you become a
little more picky about what you want to keep or toss.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, August 30, 2020 at 1:13:42 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
[...]

Oh...alright.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/cd/9e...a498137678.jpg

FWIW my scrap cart is about the same size. Any thing bigger and you end
up with a larger pile of crap. ;~) When it is smaller you become a
little more picky about what you want to keep or toss.

I don't toss. I burn. If it can't be vacuumed up, it eventually ends up
in the fire pit.

Dump a good sized box of cutoffs into a hot fire and stand back.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/30/2020 4:02 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Many years ago I started a fire in our fireplace with nothing but cut
offs/scraps.

I thought I was going to burn the house down.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, September 1, 2020 at 10:55:17 AM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
[...]

I'm glad you didn't and I'm glad you learned from your mistake. That
sh*t burns tall and fast.