Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Remember SawStop? They gave up the market, now it's force....

On 8/24/2020 2:25 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
J. Clarke writes:
On Mon, 24 Aug 2020 05:12:09 -0700 (PDT), terry walpole
wrote:

On Tuesday, February 4, 2020 at 3:23:44 PM UTC, Leon wrote:

Good to know! In about 8 years there will be a lot of Domino clones,
just like there is now on the Fein Multimaster.
Do you get upset if the new car you buy has seat belts, air bags or other collision mitigation technology? No, so why with a table saw? Bring it on I say and the sooner the better!

The trouble is that the airbags don't fire expensively the first time
a piece of green wood gets in the car.

Actually millions are being replaced because when they do go off they
injure the occupants.

Leaving aside the fact that there's a switch to disable the brake
when necessary, and leaving aside the fact that green wood doesn't necessarily
trip the capacitive sensor, why are you cutting green wood
on your expensive cabinet saw?

Some people have a hard on against Saw Stop. I have had my SS for 7
years now and have tripped 2 brakes. Neither was because it was going
to save me from being cut. Both times it was MY FAULT. For what it is
worth I have used my SS enough that it has paid for it self several
times over.

Green wood does not affect the SS unless you are talking about soaking
wet treated lumber or the example below. One of my issues was with
ripping what appeared to be dry cedar pickets. Dry on the outside,
still plenty wet on the inside. They were stored outside and had been
rained on.

The second trip was with a dado set and I had forgotten to readjust the
brake spacing. No damage to the dado set because the brake fired before
the blade even made any movement. SS replaced the brake at no charge.

And yes, why was I cutting wet wood on my expensive cabinet saw? LOL

Posted to rec.woodworking

Nothing at all to add to the conversation. Except I am glad the safety device exists and hope other devices come out and every table saw has a safety device like this. I'm just surprised that this thread started 17 years ago. I did not realize Saw Stop has been around for 17 years. Or more. If I was forced to guess I would have said 10 years.